The time is now: Tue May 24, 2016 11:45 am

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:33 pm 
Expert User

Hi,

I updated the Qemu for OSX installation guide on the wiki page:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ppc ... mu-for-osx

It points to http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads3/Qemu_2.5.0.OSX.zip , a download I prepared, containing:
efi-rtl8139.rom
empty_disk.raw
Libs
openbios-ppc
qemu-img
qemu-system-ppc
vgabios-stdvga.bin
qemu.command

Please read the installation guide on how to use the package.
Give it a go and let me know how you fare. Future updates to the files in the download will be posted here.

Best,
Cat_7

I fixed the references from qemu-system-ppc and qemu-img to libs on which it depends (those I installed through brew to enable compilation) with the OSX install_name_tool which is part of Xcode. As one of the required libs itself also has dependencies, I fixed those too. You can find the entries to dependent libs by using the OSX otool this way: otool -L "executable name" or "Library name".

For reference, the batch file I used to fix the dependencies is:
#qemu-system-ppc, qemu-img and the library libgthread-2.0.0.dylib have dependencies on libraries normally not installed on a user machine. This batch file changes the dependencies of qemu-system-ppc, qemu-img, and libgthread-2.0.0.dylib to point to the libs contained in a folder Libs located besides the executables.

#How to use:
#Find the required libs and place them in a folder called Libs besides qemu-system-ppc and qemu-img.
#Place this batch file besides qemu-system-ppc and qemu-img and run it.

#fix dependencies of qemu-system-ppc
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/glib/lib/libgthread-2.0.0.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libgthread-2.0.0.dylib qemu-system-ppc
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/glib/lib/libglib-2.0.0.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libglib-2.0.0.dylib qemu-system-ppc
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/gettext/lib/libintl.8.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libintl.8.dylib qemu-system-ppc
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/pixman/lib/libpixman-1.0.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libpixman-1.0.dylib qemu-system-ppc

#fix dependencies of qemu-img
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/glib/lib/libgthread-2.0.0.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libgthread-2.0.0.dylib qemu-img
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/glib/lib/libglib-2.0.0.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libglib-2.0.0.dylib qemu-img
install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/gettext/lib/libintl.8.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libintl.8.dylib qemu-img

cd Libs

#fix dependencies of libgthread-2.0.0.dylib
sudo install_name_tool -change /usr/local/Cellar/glib/2.46.2/lib/libglib-2.0.0.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libglib-2.0.0.dylib libgthread-2.0.0.dylib
sudo install_name_tool -change /usr/local/opt/gettext/lib/libintl.8.dylib @executable_path/Libs/libintl.8.dylib libgthread-2.0.0.dylib

Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:01 pm 
Expert User

Updates of individual files in the package. Download the files and replace the older versions.

Latest qemu-system-ppc: http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads3/qe ... 1_2016.zip
Latest OpenBIOS: http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads3/op ... 1_2016.zip

Fixes to qemu-system-ppc:
07-01-2016: Qemu can now successfully boot from dvd images.

Best,
Cat_7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:51 pm 
Space Cadet

Thank you very much cat_7, it's looking great so far.

Just a couple things: in Windows instructions - startqemu.bat, one of the parameters is to load openbios-ppc-pcifix as the BIOS, but the one linked to download is just openbios-ppc. I changed the command to open the bundled openbios-ppc (new version from your second forum post), which resolved a QEMU crash and brought up OpenBIOS then the boot screen. You might want to edit the command line to prevent it happening to everyone.

Secondly, by running this (on OS X 10.4) I get the boot screen, with the logo and spinning wheel, but it stops spinning after about 10mins. I tried to enable verbose mode but I'm not getting it to do so (-prom-env 'boot-args=-v' seems consistent with OS X instructions, but not Windows). How do I enable verbose mode from here? I believe that perhaps the problem could be that there IS a ppc-pcifix version which you may have needed to bundle instead of the ppc version.

I'll keep waiting to see if it's just taking forever to load, and I'll keep trying to get to verbose mode running. I also may try 10.3 tomorrow. Thanks again for the astounding work :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:24 pm 
Expert User

Hi,

Thanks for reporting back.

Quote:
one of the parameters is to load openbios-ppc-pcifix as the BIOS

I updated the guide to reflect the need to rename the file or edit the windows batchfile to point to the correct file name.

Quote:
prom-env 'boot-args=-v' seems consistent with OS X instructions, but not Windows

So it seems. Replacing all quotes with " instead of ' will allow providing arguments. ;-) Fixed in the guide.

Quote:
the problem could be that there IS a ppc-pcifix version

No there isn't. The latest bios file cumulatively adds all previous fixes.

Overall, the windows version is much slower compared to the OSX version and has the nasty habit of losing mouse control. I'll check the 10.4 installation issue.
Please note that the windows versions are created whenever there is a new official qemu release. The OSX versions are created when promising new developments are available. This leads to OSX versions probably having more/better functionality when compared to the windows versions.

EDIT: quotes fixed when providing arguments in Windows version. Windows version boots 10.4 CD image perfectly!

Best,
Cat_7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:09 pm 
Space Cadet

Alright, thanks. It looks like most of these things can be avoided by using OS X instead, so I'll proceed to do so.

Edit: OS X 10.4 didn't like QEMU on OS X, so it may have been a faulty image I was using in the first place. 10.3 installed fine using QEMU on OS X, but not on Windows - lost mouse cursor through installation menus. Workaround: installed on QEMU for OS X, then moved image to QEMU for Windows. Works a charm.

Making a couple optimisations - screen size is flexible, as is RAM, no problems increasing those. I'm now looking into possibly enabling audio, or even video(!) but I'll need to look into whether PowerPC kexts even exist for any available emulated devices QEMU provides.

Super happy with the outcome so far. Thanks again Cat_7.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:46 pm 
Expert User

Set up this QEMU distribution in OSX 10.10.5 for installing Mac OS X 10.3.

I used Disk Utility in OSX to create disk images from the three Mac OS X 10.3 install disks in DVD/CD Master (.cdr) format.

I used qemu-img to create a 6G raw disk image for the installation target volume.

First installer image is named "10.3InstallDisc1.cdr"
Target volume image is named "Qemu10.3HD.dsk"

qemu.command:
Code:
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./qemu-system-ppc -bios ./openbios-ppc -boot d -M mac99 -m 256 -cpu G3 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -g 1024x768x32 -netdev user,id=network0 -device rtl8139,netdev=network0 -drive file=./10.3InstallDisc1.cdr,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=./Qemu10.3HD.dsk,format=raw,media=disk

When I start qemu.command, I get the QEMU window and in it:
Code:
Welcome to OpenBIOS v1.1 built on Jan 4 2016 06:04
Trying cd:,\\:tbxi...
No valid state has been set by load or init-program

0 >

Something wrong with the CD image?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:18 pm 
Expert User

Please take great care not to have additional line endings in your command file.
Did you create the image from your own disks?

Best,
Cat_7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:11 am 
Expert User

The whole command is in one line, no additional line endings.

I created the images from my own install disks. They are regular retail install disks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:10 am 
Expert User

This time it works.

What did I do different?
For creating the CD image in OSX Disk Utility: The first time I selected the CD volume in the left column in Disk Utility (as I normally do) but this time I selected the CD drive.

I will report back when I did the 10.3 installation in QEMU.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:06 pm 
Expert User

Did a default 10.3 installation from install disks 1 and 2.

The 6GB image I created with qemu-img wouldn't work. I could partition it with Disk Utility on the install disk, but the installer labeled it with a red exclamation mark as not suitable for installation. No change after re-partitioning.

I tried various images created with Disk Utility on the 10.10.5 host OSX. The only ones that worked consistently as target volume were created with "Hard disk" as value for Partitions:

Name: QEMU10.3HD
Size: Custom... (6 GB)
Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Encryption: none
Partitions: Hard disk
Image Format: read/write disk image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:12 pm 
Expert User

But now another problem.

After completing the installation by configuring the new installed system and an account, I looked at my 10.3 Desktop and everything seemed OK. I shut down the emulated machine and went shopping.

Started again QEMU but now startup is stuck at the grey screen with Apple logo.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:14 pm 
Expert User

Installed 10.3 again. This time I left out all software that I will not use. Again everything looks OK after installation and setup. But after shutting down the emulated machine, again a new startup gets stuck at the grey screen with Apple logo.

:?:

Edit: Oops :oops:
Sorry, startup does not get stuck. It stays longer at the grey screen than I expected.

Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:26 pm 
Expert User

Internet connection works, but apparently Apply does not provide software updates for 10.3 anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:02 pm 
Tinkerer

You can download the Combo update from https://support.apple.com/kb/DL496?locale=en_US manually. I'm not sure whether that includes the 'latest' security update though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:51 pm 
Expert User

Disk image creation updated in the guide.

Thanks,
Cat_7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:17 pm 
Forum All-Star

There are a few security updates later than the combo update -- they're all available from the support downloads site: https://support.apple.com/en_US/downloads/10.3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:58 am 
Expert User

Installing the combo-update proceeded fine. Now running 10.3.9.

The emulator is slow, but usable. With file sharing enabled on the host, I can access files and folders on the host from within the emulator. Will probably work also with other computers in my home network, didn't try yet. With 10.3 drivers for my Canon printer installed, I could probably print to that printer on my network. Didn't try that yet either.

Issues so far:

1. No sound (known, I suppose)

2. I accidentally chose sleep (instead of shut down) from the Apple menu and the emulator froze. No mouse cursor, no reaction on any key press.

3. For mounting CD images ("change ide1-cd0" from the Machine menu), the Open dialog only allows choosing .iso files. It should also allow choosing .cdr files.
(A .cdr file entered in the command as CD file works fine, and when I change the .cdr extension to .iso the file can be used for mounting from the Machine menu.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:58 pm 
Student Driver

I followed the guide, installed 10.4 and updated to 10.4.11. Had a lot of trouble with various cdr and iso images from the net until I ripped my own retail Tiger DVD and installed from there.
I lost network after update to 10.4.11.

What bothers me the most is the long wait at boot. Apple is displayed for 1-2 minutes and then boot proceeds (verbose). Also the "a" key is "pressed" when switching from host (10.10.5) and QEMU.

To sum up, for me it's usable and working but slow.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:02 pm 
Expert User

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback. Emulation is indeed slow, and loosing network support after updating to 10.4.11 is a known issue.

Best,
Cat_7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:09 am 
Tinkerer

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
3. For mounting CD images ("change ide1-cd0" from the Machine menu), the Open dialog only allows choosing .iso files. It should also allow choosing .cdr files.
(A .cdr file entered in the command as CD file works fine, and when I change the .cdr extension to .iso the file can be used for mounting from the Machine menu.)

I just fixed this problem today. Now you should be able to open .cdr files.

Here is the patch: https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/q ... 06761.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:10 am 
Forum All-Star

These are really amazing proceedings!
Thanks Cat_7 for providing the self contained package, saving me from the dependency hell.
Thanks Ronald for posting your experience with the HD image.
Last not least thanks to all developers and contributors making this happen, I would not have believed this until seeing it with my own eyes.

I´m installing 10.3 from ISO images on a 10.10.5 C2D host right now.
Installing from ISO 1 works fine so far, but after changing boot volume to "c" it looks like nothing is happening - yellow screen for some time, than black screen endlessly.

Edit:
After removing the CD image from qemu.command it boots! Obviously I have missed that in the guide.

Now, could someone please enlighten me how to set up a shared folder?
/Classic would be my shared folder on the host, in case that matters.
Thanks again!