Emulating Starship Titanic

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ClockWise
Site Admin

Emulating Starship Titanic

Post by ClockWise »

Here's a post on MetaFilter about using SheepShaver to emulate the game "Starship Titanic" that seems very popular:

http://www.metafilter.com/98848/The-Pos ... y-Go-Wrong
RadioTransparent
Space Cadet

RE: Emulating Starship Titanic

Post by RadioTransparent »

Hi -

The post on MeFi was very well received, and the instructions were good. But, I can't seem to manage to get the game up and running. I'm wondering if someone here could help me troubleshoot?

I'm running the version of SheepShaver from the posting (January 15, 2010) on a Windows XP SP3 machine, and I've managed to successfully install the game on a 1.5Gb Volume created with SheepShaver. I had all three game disc images mounted through SheepShaver during the installation, and that went smoothly without having to pause to swap the discs out.

However, when I launch the game for the first time, a screen pops up requesting that I 'Insert CD1 and wait for a short time.' The STCD1.toast is visible on the emulator desktop, and I can't figure out how to get the game to recognize it at this stage. Strange, since the install was fine.

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I do not know if this is of any help.
I observed, that another game, Diablo 1 is working with a Mandriva Linux host and MacOS9 (and lower) as long as the physical CD's icon is on the SS desktop.
Did you try to create a CD (with IMGBurn or so) of STCD1 and mount it with SheepShaver?

Best wishes!
outerotter
Space Cadet

Post by outerotter »

I have exactly the same problem as RT, running under Ubuntu 10.10. I burned a copy of the .toast file to a cd, and it mounts correctly and appears on the sheepshifter desktop. But the program still refuses to recognize it.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Hm, I only took a short glance at ST and it seems to play fine:
Snow Leo, SS/OS8.6, CDs mounted with http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/virtual ... cd-utility in SS.
I installed ST on a fresh volume with QT an Extensions unchecked. (no need to restart)
Started the game from the Installer GUI and inserted the VIVANIC? CD in the Computer in the start room.
Wham - the Starship crashes in and the door butler comes asking for help...

I shall try with my Mandriva host too...
Done, no problems, so far.
It seems only the Standard installation will work, keeping the three CDs mounted in the Shaver.
outerotter
Space Cadet

Post by outerotter »

I didn't know about the virtual dvd-rom, but it doesn't seem to help. After mounting CD1 and starting Starship Titanic, it says "please insert CD1 and wait a short time." I waited over 20 minutes to be sure it wasn't just slow, but nothing happened. I've tried this both in linux and windows vista with the same result.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Strange - what did you do exactly?
I mounted all three CDs with the above utility and had a "Standard" install, but QT and Game Extensions unchecked.
The other two installs indeed create the errror you reported. I dont think there will be a workaround with SheepShaver.
The ST installer seems to wait for changing a disk. (forever)

Could it be the SheepShaver ROM maybe? I am using the OldWorld ROM (4MB) all the time.
Last edited by 24bit on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

Shouldn't this topic be in SheepShaver's forum?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

You sure have a point there Silent Flamer.
If the admins would care for moving the topic, I wont mind.

Do you have some spare time to try ST yourself?
I would like to track down the installer´s queer behaviour.
Some people testing this fine game might help.
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

It seems like a considerably large size (usually the maximum I would go is around 500MB) , but I'll give it a shot .
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

True, its a 3 CD game, each of the 600MB category.
For running the installer and starting the game disk 1 seems to be sufficient.
What host(s) do you have?
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

Windows Vista with 1GB RAM . You sure Disk 1 will do?
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

Hmm . I downloaded Disc 1 , and it installed just fine . However , my SheepShaver doesn't have internet on (it keeps crashing if I did enable internet) , and Quicktime needed some parts . I don't know which (so I can manually track it down from host) files I need , because Quicktime just said it'll check if the files are at Apple's website. I guess that's all I go for now .
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

You could install QT4, available in the garden.
That would be a good idea for the Shaver anyway.
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

First off , I already have 4 . Second , a user in this forum said SheepShaver only can handle up to 2.5 .
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

That's funny, we always recommend 4.1.2

Best,
Cat_7
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Just for the records:
I installed Win7 Ultimate on my old Athlon X2 64 5000+ and added the XP compatibility modules from MS for some other reasons. SS is from Cat_7, MacOS is 8.6, Old World ROM.
SheepShaver runs Starship Titanic without any issues, just like it does on my other hosts. ST CDs were mounted with Virtual DVD CD-ROM Utility as usual. I am quite astonished why RadioTransparent and outerotter suffered from any problems.
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

I am interested in running this game, though I am not up to the stage of installing it yet.

However I do have a general question about the Virtual DVD/CD Utility program: Is it possible to use it in the Classic environment? I haven't tried it within SheepShaver yet, but in Classic (10.4) it cannot mount any of the toast files I drop into it, with an error message that 'there are insufficient system resources.' I have tried giving the application many times more memory than its default and I still receive this error.

It sounds as though that for this game, amongst other software, this mounting utility is essential to get them running. I hope someone can answer this query.

Thanks
macdro
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I don't know if the virtual driver works in classic. It seems to run in a full-blown Mac OS.
The game doesn't require the driver. Just add all three cd images to the SheepShaver volumes list and use standard install from the first disk. It should then run.

Best,
Cat_7
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

Ah okay thanks, that makes sense. It probably has something to do with how the 'desktop' is not fully built in the Classic environment.

When I want to play this game I will follow your instructions and just add them to the bootable volumes list in the prefs prior to startup. This has worked well in the past; I was just influenced by some people's comments about this particular game not running with that approach. I will try it myself however.
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

24bit wrote: Just for the records : SS is from Cat_7, MacOS is 8.6, Old World ROM.
How did you run 8.6 in an Old World ROM? Sure , you can boot OS 9 with an Old World ROM , but wouldn't most functions be not working?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

SheepShaver runs fine with an old world rom and MacOS 8.5 through 9.0.4. No limitations that I am aware of. I usually advise to use the new world rom for these MacOS versions because everyone does that. Not sure why, though.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Virtual DVD/CD Utility program: Is it possible to use it in the Classic environment?
Yes it is. Works with my I Mac G3 and SheepShaver.
If you have a working hardware CD-ROM you may not need it.
Some game CDs can be susessfully mounted with the SS GUI, some not.