old scanner

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Rose Skytta
Space Cadet

old scanner

Post by Rose Skytta »

I have a Microtek scanner which worked on my old Mac, OS 10.2.8. I can't install the driver into my new Mac, OS10.6.8, because there is no Classic Support on this operating system. The Missing Manual on Snow Leopard said Sheepshaver would allow one to operate old OS 9 programs on Snow Leopard, but apparently it won't work for this. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can avoid sending this functioning piece of equipment to the recyclers?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello,

Welcome to the forum. SheepShaver for OSX can't access the scanner, whether it is connected through SCSI or USB connection.
Sorry, but SheepShaver doesn't support those hardware components.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

A scanner that age may not be worth buying new software for it, but "VueScan" runs in 10.6 (and 10.7) and may support you scanner.

VueScan: http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html

Supported Microtek scanners: http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#microtek
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Hello,
is your scanner SCSI or USB? I have got a Microtec SCSI on the attic.
There is still a SCSI pane in BII, but one would have to dig through Chris Bauer´s SapeShifter manuals to figure out if it could be done.
Whats more, I would need a SCSI host adapter for my Mac and I found only ATTO and Aopen kexts.
So only very few (expensive) pieces of hardware may work at all.
The famous BII build 142 for Windows might be worth a shot, if you have a PC box with SCSI and a SCSI scanner.
I did not feel the need to try, so far.
I found a Canon USB scanner running with Rosetta at flea market for EUR 10,- so thats it for me.
Best wishes!