Mac emulator-as-a-zine

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

SRodan101
Space Cadet

Mac emulator-as-a-zine

Post by SRodan101 »

Hello all, my collective and i have been planning to make an arg/zine as a customized emulator(adding artworks,changing background etc) i know i can save an image from infinitemac, but what i need is basically a local web page i will design as a packet and let people discover by themselves.

so my question is, which way would be best to implement this? so far we tried to use macintosh.js but that only works as a web app in pc via electron.js, so it cannot work via ipfs/localhost which is exactly what we want. any pointers to the right direction would be a godsend, thanks!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Mac emulator-as-a-zine

Post by adespoton »

I'm kind of confused as to what your goals are.

Are you thinking that you write the zine in HTML and publish it in a Mac OS 7/8/9 disk image complete with OS?

Or write it in HTML and publish it on an otherwise blank DC42 image that can be mounted by Infinite Mac or any other online emulator?

Or write DOCMAKER apps for the zine and host them in this way?

Or write complete custom images with custom backgrounds, StartupScreen artwork, TeachText documents, integrated AppleScripts, etc?

Personally, if I were going to do a zine-in-an-emulator, I'd author it in HyperCard and set up a MinivMacII instance (like with Infinite Mac) running System 6.0.8 and have the stack auto-launch on boot. Mini vMac has tools on gryphel.org that let you auto-end the emulation when you close the stack as well.

Of course, you could also just go the route of https://os9.ca/ and skip the emulation altogether, emulating the interface in JS instead.
SRodan101
Space Cadet

Post by SRodan101 »

adespoton wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:26 pm I'm kind of confused as to what your goals are.

Are you thinking that you write the zine in HTML and publish it in a Mac OS 7/8/9 disk image complete with OS?

Or write it in HTML and publish it on an otherwise blank DC42 image that can be mounted by Infinite Mac or any other online emulator?

Or write complete custom images with custom backgrounds, StartupScreen artwork, TeachText documents, integrated AppleScripts, etc?

Personally, if I were going to do a zine-in-an-emulator, I'd author it in HyperCard and set up a MinivMacII instance (like with Infinite Mac) running System 6.0.8 and have the stack auto-launch on boot. Mini vMac has tools on gryphel.org that let you auto-end the emulation when you close the stack as well.

Of course, you could also just go the route of https://os9.ca/ and skip the emulation altogether, emulating the interface in JS instead.
hey thanks for the reply!

basically we want to have a disk image w/ our contents in it and have it both as a site, and a downloadable copy of the webpage that can run offline kinda like macintosh.js minus the electron.js parts,https://github.com/felixrieseberg/macintosh.js/
macintosh.js is the closest thing to what we want, but has an extra layer that makes it infeasible
will check the hypercard as well!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

SRodan101 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:49 pm
adespoton wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:26 pm I'm kind of confused as to what your goals are.

hey thanks for the reply!

basically we want to have a disk image w/ our contents in it and have it both as a site, and a downloadable copy of the webpage that can run offline kinda like macintosh.js minus the electron.js parts,https://github.com/felixrieseberg/macintosh.js/
macintosh.js is the closest thing to what we want, but has an extra layer that makes it infeasible
will check the hypercard as well!
Oh boy... macintosh.js makes zero sense. It's running the WebAssembly port of Basilisk II in an Electron container. If you want to run it offline, just run Basilisk II. If you want it to be multiplatform, use the Infinite Mac WebAssembly version which doesn't have that extra Electron layer, and run it in a browser. And it's not emulating a Quadra 900 -- it's using a Quadra 900 ROM, but is emulating something roughly equivalent to a Quadra 650.
SRodan101
Space Cadet

Post by SRodan101 »

adespoton wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:26 pm
Oh boy... macintosh.js makes zero sense. It's running the WebAssembly port of Basilisk II in an Electron container. If you want to run it offline, just run Basilisk II. If you want it to be multiplatform, use the Infinite Mac WebAssembly version which doesn't have that extra Electron layer, and run it in a browser. And it's not emulating a Quadra 900 -- it's using a Quadra 900 ROM, but is emulating something roughly equivalent to a Quadra 650.

yes hahah i am not the technical one in the duo, and my friend hasn't dabbled in emulation at all prior, we found it out the hard way when we began reading macintosh.js's code for the last two days -_- thank you so much for the infinitemac suggestion, we read the docs earlier today and saw it would be what we want, we're gonna take our time and dabble in it. have a good one!
Last edited by SRodan101 on Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Emulator as ARG sounds like a lot of fun. I'd check it out!