Printing in OSX

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Printing in OSX

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Cat_7 wrote:Problems in 10.6.8. SheepShaver from the sticky post, running in 32 bit: sometimes no verification possible! and printing to a desktop printer that runs OK in 64 bit mode, sometimes doesn't work.
The issue seems to be that Networking doesn't always work in 32 bit mode. When I can't connect to the internet, I can't connect to printers on my host.

Interesting:
I installed Safari 5.1.5 update that is intended to solve problems with Safari 5.1.4 running in 32-bit mode. This seems to have also solved issues with printing to the shared printer from SheepShaver running in 32-bit mode here.

Can you confirm that?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

No, I can't confirm.

I tried internet and networked printing in 10.6.8 (running 32 and 64 bit) with SheepShaver 32 and 64 bit before and after upgrading to that version of safari and it made no difference. Printing/internet workes as it should, so perhaps my problem was temporary. It'll show during further use.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Based on the knowledge gathered in this topic by emendelson, complemented with my own experiences, and with contributions by Cat_7, I wrote a more systematic guide for printing from SheepShaver and BasiliskII in the wiki. The first version is now up and public and linked to from relevant other pages in the wiki:

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... k_printing

(I didn't upgrade to Lion yet, so for information about Lion I had to rely on information I got from others.)
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

This guide is superb. Thank you for organizing all that information so clearly.

I have a way of printing automatically from SheepShaver (or any other application that can output PostScript files) to any Windows printer, but it will take me a while to document it. When I've got it sorted out, I'll post the details here.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Thanks.

I am looking forward to see your solution for automatic printing from SheepShaver to a Windows printer.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I also have a solution to that end, but deemed it too complex to put in the guide.

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald wrote in the printing-from-Windows thread:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:The method for automatic printing of a saved PostScript file is (at least for the user) similar as the equivalent method for OSX with your folder action script. There I need to browse to the output location for the PostScript file each time again, also without restarting MacOS.
In my own setup, I've set the default destination for the virtual printer, using the Desktop Printer Utility, and I do not need to navigate to the folder each time, or even each time I restart. I know that this forum does not allow direct links to complete systems, but if you search for "WPMacApp" (one word), Google will take you to one that I've put together that automatically sets up a printer, allows you to double-click on WordPerfect files on the OS X desktop so that they open in WPMac in SheepShaver, etc. etc. It's based on work by many other people, especially John Rethorst and Smokey Ardisson.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I see, I thought you meant that the output location was remembered between saves, I did not realize you meant the output location as set in Desktop Printer Utility. I did not describe that setting in the guide.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I did not realize you meant the output location as set in Desktop Printer Utility. I did not describe that setting in the guide.
It took me a long time to discover how useful that setting is. Perhaps it could be added to the guide?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Yes, I will see how it can best be added to the instructions.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Mountain Lion question:

The method described in earlier messages (share a printer in OS X; set up a printer in SheepShaver that prints to an LPR queue on OS X) doesn't seem to work for me in Mountain Lion.

When I try to set up an LPR printer in the Desktop Printer Utility in SheepShaver, and click Verify, the utility tells me that the printer cannot be verified.

I have the firewall OFF in Mountain Lion.

Am I missing something? Thanks for any advice.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

emendelson wrote:The method described in earlier messages (share a printer in OS X; set up a printer in SheepShaver that prints to an LPR queue on OS X) doesn't seem to work for me in Mountain Lion.
I don't know what might happen if I were to follow the procedure from scratch right now, but the printer setup, inherited from Lion, continues to work fine in Mountain Lion.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I set it up from scratch in Mountain Lion, printer shared, LPD protocol enabled, Stealth Mode disabled, SheepShaver with MacOS 9.0.4, LPR printer to 10.0.2.2. Works fine.

Are you sure you followed all steps, also the steps needed in OSX?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Thank you for testing this. It's very puzzling.

I get exactly the same results on two different Mountain Lion systems. One of them is on a dual-boot MacBook; on that dual-boot system, under Lion I can print to a shared LPD printer very easily. The exact same SheepShaver system that prints under Lion can't print to a shared printer under Mountain Lion - although it can print perfectly easily from SheepShaver directly to an IP address (a networked printer) on the network.

"The printer cannot be verified" is the message I get every time when I try (in SheepShaver) to verify a shared printer in Mountain Lion. The printer is definitely shared in Mountain Lion; the firewall is off; and stealth mode is NOT on if I temporarily turn on the firewall to check whether stealth mode was previously selected.

Here is my cupsctl output in Mountain Lion:
_debug_logging=0
_remote_admin=0
_remote_any=1
_share_printers=1
_user_cancel_any=0
BrowseAllow=all
BrowseLocalProtocols=cups dnssd lpd
BrowseOrder=allow,deny
DefaultAuthType=Basic
JobPrivateAccess=default
JobPrivateValues=default
SubscriptionPrivateAccess=default
SubscriptionPrivateValues=default
SystemGroup=admin
SystemGroupAuthKey=system.print.admin
WebInterface=yes
This looks right to me. If anyone has any insight into this, I'll be very grateful.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

My cupsctl output is a little different:

Code: Select all

_debug_logging=0
_remote_admin=0
_remote_any=0
_share_printers=1
_user_cancel_any=0
BrowseAddress=@LOCAL
BrowseAllow=all
BrowseLocalProtocols=dnssd lpd
BrowseOrder=allow,deny
BrowseRemoteProtocols=
DefaultAuthType=Basic
JobPrivateAccess=default
JobPrivateValues=default
SubscriptionPrivateAccess=default
SubscriptionPrivateValues=default
SystemGroup=admin
SystemGroupAuthKey=system.print.admin
WebInterface=yes
This is in OSX 10.8.1 and after Canon printer driver update through Software Update (App Store). The only changes I made was sharing my printer, enabling the web interface, and adding the lpd protocol. (In the default conf file only dnssd protocol was present, no cups protocol.)
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Maybe I should add that my printer is connected to my local network.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Thank you for experimenting. I'm very puzzled. I tried using the option in the CUPS Web Interface to start with a default configuration file; I added lpd; I enabled sharing. Still no luck.

What's interesting is that SheepShaver clearly sees 10.0.2.2 on the network, because the Verify command works very quickly. (If I enter a non-existent address, then it takes a very long time to report failure.)

There must be something strange about both my systems. I'll be working with a completely new machine tomorrow and will see what happens when I try that one. I'll report on the results.

By the way, if I use the third-party web-sharing preference pane in Mountain Lion to turn on web sharing, I can connect to OS X from SheepShaver in a web browser, so the connection between the two exists. But something has gone wrong in printer sharing. Very strange!
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I'm still baffled by this one. I erased my Mountain Lion partition and installed it a complete fresh copy. I downloaded the latest build of SheepShaver and the sheepvm that I've been using for testing (running 8.6). I followed the instructions in the guide exactly. I still could not verify the OS X printer. Again, this works perfectly for me on Lion.

Could you let me know which OS version you're using? I wish I could figure out what is going wrong here. Thank you again.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

LPR printer setup and printing works fine for me in both 9.0.4 and 8.6, in my latest SheepShaver build on OSX 10.8.1.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Completely baffled by what's going wrong. Will keep trying! Thank you again.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

One last question. I want to make certain that we are talking about the same thing.

Under Mountain Lion, I can make LPR printing work perfectly when the Desktop Printer in SheepShaver is connected to a printer on my network, with an address like 10.0.1.23 or 192.168.1.100 or anything that is NOT 10.0.2.2.

Under Mountain Lion, I cannot make LPR printing work at all (the printer never gets verified) when the IP address is 10.0.2.2 (SheepShaver's default address for the "router" that connects it to the host), and I enter a queue name.

One of your earlier messages suggests that your setup uses the first of these alternatives, because your Canon printer is connected to the network. The problem only occurs (for me) in the second.

Could you possibly let me know whether you can verify the printer if the IP address is 10.0.2.2. I've now tried this on three different Mountain Lion systems, with the same result (the printer cannot be verified).

Thank you again for your patience over this.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

My Canon printer is connected to my network, but it is not a PostScript printer, so I cannot print directly to it from within SheepShaver. I always set up the LPR printer to 10.0.2.2 and to my printer's print queue as shown in http://localhost:631/printers/

The Canon printer is my only printer and it is shared on the network. The default printer in OSX is the "Last Used Printer", which, of course, can only be my Canon printer.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Thank you again. That certainly makes clear this is working on your system but not working on three different Mountain Lion systems on which I've tried it. I wish I could figure out what is wrong!
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

May I bother you one more time about this? It's very puzzling. I've tried the lpr setup (via 10.0.2.2) on four different Mountain Lion systems, and I can't verify the printer on any one of them. Three are completely fresh systems.

Could you let me know if you have anything else enabled in the Sharing pane of System Preferences? I have Screen Sharing, File Sharing, and Printer Sharing turned on. Also, I use an Airport Extreme router with default settings. I wonder if there's some setting operating on your system that isn't available on mine, which makes it possible to use lpr printing (via 10.0.2.2) on your system but not mine. (I can easily use lpr printing to a printer with its own IP address; just not to 10.0.2.2.)

EDIT: One more question: is your Mountain Lion system one that you upgraded from Lion? If so, it may have "inherited" some setting that makes lpr printing work in a way that it doesn't work on freshly-installed Mountain Lion systems. If I could track down that setting, then it might be possible to solve this mystery.

Thank you again!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Until 10.6 I always did a fresh OS installation with migration of network settings and users only. I indeed upgraded from 10.6 to 10.7 and from 10.7 to 10.8.

I only use printer sharing, occasionally used file sharing in the past but only enabled that when needed.

My network access point is a dual band Airport Extreme, my Mountain Lion iMac is connected to the 5GHz band (Channel 36) with static IP-address and the printer is connected to the Airport Extreme with Ethernet cable, also with static IP-address.