Printing in OSX

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

If you want to use a networked printer, use the IP-address of the printer.

If you want to use the the default printer in MacOSX, use the IP-address of your MacMini and make sure that the printer is shared in the Sharing ("Freigaben") system preferences.

In both cases best use static (not DHCP) addresses. DHCP provided addresses may change.

The setup with shared printer does not always work. It does not work on my iMac.
SwissMac
Space Cadet

Post by SwissMac »

Thank you for the answer!

Yes, the Printer (Samsung CLX-3175) is connected by network on the MacMini. But also the IP of the printer does not work. The ethernet lamp on the printer lights up after sending the print comand, but after 1 or 2 minutes comes a error message like "The printer "OS X Drucker" can not be found."

Any other ideas?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Printing directly to a network printer will only work if the printer is a PostScript printer. Your printer may not be a PostScript printer.

I have a similar setup, a network all-in-one (non-PostScript) Canon printer. Both printing directly to the printer and printing to the printer as default printer in MacOSX do not work.

The setup with printing to a PS file into a folder in the shared folder with a folder action script will probably work. See description somewhere in this thread.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I have a similar setup, a network all-in-one (non-PostScript) Canon printer. Both printing directly to the printer and printing to the printer as default printer in MacOSX do not work.
Printing to the printer as default printer in Mac OSX should work. I do this all the time with a networked HP OfficeJet printer (non-PostScript). I can't imagine why it isn' working in your setup.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

It does not work here as I reported in previous posts in this topic. I have my default printer shared and I enter the correct IP-address for my iMac, but the "Verify" step fails. See discussion from here: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 8579#38579
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Tried again. Printer is shared in OSX. Firewall in OSX is off. The slirp networking works fine for internet. When I set up a LPR printer I come as far as entering the the IP-address 10.0.1.13 of my iMac (the SheepShaver host machine with the shared printer). When I click the Verify button ("Controleer" in Dutch) I get the message "De printer kan niet worden gecontroleerd", which would translate as "The printer cannot be verified". And there it ends. I can ignore that message and still save the desktop printer with that IP-address. If I try to print to that desktop printer, SheepShaver crashes before a print dialog appears.

Printing to a desktop printer set up to print to a PS file works fine.

If I enter the IP-address 10.0.1.12 of the printer, verifying works fine and I can save the LPR desktop printer. But as the printer is not a PostScript printer, actual printing does not work.
Ted Lee
Student Driver

Post by Ted Lee »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Tried again. Printer is shared in OSX. Firewall in OSX is off. The slirp networking works fine for internet. When I set up a LPR printer I come as far as entering the the IP-address 10.0.1.13 of my iMac (the SheepShaver host machine with the shared printer). When I click the Verify button ("Controleer" in Dutch) I get the message "De printer kan niet worden gecontroleerd", which would translate as "The printer cannot be verified". And there it ends. I can ignore that message and still save the desktop printer with that IP-address. If I try to print to that desktop printer, SheepShaver crashes before a print dialog appears.
I don't have the instructions at my fingertips, but I remember something about having to enter the CUPS print queue in the appropriate dialogue, not just the IP of the machine doing the sharing.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Ted Lee wrote:I don't have the instructions at my fingertips, but I remember something about having to enter the CUPS print queue in the appropriate dialogue, not just the IP of the machine doing the sharing.
Yes. I did not mention that because it did not make any difference whether I enter the print queue name or not. (It should work without entering the print queue name, though.)
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I wish I knew what is going wrong. This method works perfectly with my OfficeJet, which is connected through a network to a router, and my Mac is connected wirelessly to the router. The router is an Airport Extreme, if that makes any difference.

Perhaps change the queue name of the printer to something very short and see if the name might be causing the problem. Possibly the queue name is OK for OS X but too long or otherwise wrong for OS 9. (It should not include a space character, certainly.)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

My Mac is connected wirelessly to my Airport Extreme and the printer is connected with ethernet cable to the Airport Extreme. Both iMac and printer have a static IP-address.

It does not work. Whatever I do, try, or change, during LPR printer setup the verification of the IP-address of my iMac fails. Entering a shorter (or no) printer queue name also does not make any difference. From within SheepShaver, my iMac cannot be accessed on its IP-address.

BTW: The printer queue name is: Canon_MP600R__00_00_85_85_1a_87_
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:From within SheepShaver, my iMac cannot be accessed on its IP-address.
Perhaps you need to change the sharing settings in OS X. That's just a guess.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Which sharing settings do you mean? Printer sharing is enabled, the Canon printer is selected:

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

That looks correct. I tested it again with my OfficeJet Pro (non PostScript). It worked perfectly. I would suggest doing this:

Remove the Canon printer from the list of printers. Then add it again, but give it a slightly different name, in order to make sure that you don't use the same printer queue as before. You will need to share the printer again after re-adding it.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Did that. Removed the printer and added it again. Named the printer "MP600R Canon". The queue name was now "MP600R_Canon". Made sure the printer was set as default printer, the printer was shared, and the Firewall in OSX was off. Still the same problem. When I try to set up a LPR printer in OS9 in SheepShaver, after entering the iMac's IP-address and the printer queue name, verification fails.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I simply don't understand what's wrong. This has always worked here. I wonder if there might be a setting in your router that is getting in the way. I wish I could help!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

There is also nothing unusual about my router settings.

It does not really bother me that this printing setup does not work for me. I rarely need to print anything in SheepShaver and printing to a PS file works fine. It is just that, apparently, this setup does not work for everyone and I have been wondering why.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Wondered if the issue could be related to my AirPort Extreme being set up with dual band. Connected my iMac to the Airport Extreme with Ethernet cable. Now both printer and iMac had a wired connection to the router. Made sure printer and iMac both used a valid IP-address, the printer was shared, and the firewall was off. Still verification failed during setup of a LPR printer in SheepShaver.

Then I wondered if anything could block this kind of access from SheepShaver to the hosts IP-address, specifically thinking of some features in Intego VirusBarrier X6. I bypassed loading of VirusBarrier system startup files (and of various login items) by starting up OSX in Safe Mode (with shift key pressed). Still no change, again verification failed during setup of a LPR printer in SheepShaver.

I have run out of ideas. Whatever the cause, printing from SheepShaver to a shared printer on the OSX side simply does not work here.
kingpin10
Space Cadet

printing works with simple not other apps

Post by kingpin10 »

Hi just wanted to get some feed back if i use simple text and select the print one copy i get my document printed.

When i use another app it goes through a save dialogue save to print folder etc but does not output anything.

So sheepshaver sees printer and has printing capability but only on the auto print one copy commannd in simple text.

Printing used to work on all my apps. kind of weird.

Any help appreciated
rbsfou
Space Cadet

Here's how i did it

Post by rbsfou »

This method should work for any local printer.

Enable the cups-lpd server by doing the following:

Code: Select all

cupsctl 'BrowseLocalProtocols="cups dnssd lpd"'
In SheepShaver (or Basilisk?), make sure you are using slirp, and create a new desktop printer with LPR at address 10.0.2.2 and the queue name matching your OSX printer. The generic ppd should work in most cases - cups on the OSX side will do any necessary translation.

et voila!

Not sure if it persists across reboots though.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Here's how i did it

Post by emendelson »

rbsfou wrote:Enable the cups-lpd server by doing the following:

In SheepShaver (or Basilisk?), make sure you are using slirp, and create a new desktop printer with LPR at address 10.0.2.2 and the queue name matching your OSX printer. The generic ppd should work in most cases - cups on the OSX side will do any necessary translation.
Terrific! And see the reminder in this message:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 8&start=11
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Again, also this does not work on my setup. Creating the LPR printer fails in exactly the same way as I now have described several times before, like in this post: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 9242#39242
This time, apparently nothing is found at the address 10.0.2.2.

Yes, I did

in Terminal

Yes, 10.0.2.2 is entered correcty, it also is the Router Address displayed in TCP/IP control panel, and internet access works fine.

Yes, the print queue name, now "Canon_MP600R", is entered correctly.

Yes, the printer is the default printer in MacOSX and it is shared.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Again, also this does not work on my setup. Creating the LPR printer fails in exactly the same way as I now have described several times before,
Mystery solved. It was related to the "stealth mode" setting in OSX firewall settings.

I had thought of possible interference with the firewall on my iMac before, but turning off the firewall did not solve the problem. It never occurred to me that turning off the firewall did not disable stealth mode. With the firewall turned off, the 'Advanced' button is disabled and the stealth mode setting can not be accessed. It now appears that stealth mode needs to be disabled while the firewall is turned on.

Here is what I did:
- Disabled stealth mode
- Turned off the firewall (may not be needed)
- Restarted (may not be needed)

Now, creating the LPR printer worked and printing worked fine.

I again turned the Firewall on and still printing from SS worked fine.
I then again enabled stealth mode and printing still worked fine.

To be sure, I restarted my iMac. And still printing from SheepShaver to my shared default printer in OSX works fine.

Conclusion: Setting up a LPR in SheepShaver to a shared printer in OSX, either to the host's IP-address or to 10.0.2.2, is not possible when stealth mode is enabled in OSX System Preferences > Security > Firewall > Advanced. Turning the firewall off does not disable stealth mode. Stealth mode can only be disabled while the firewall is turned on. After the LPR printer is successfully created, stealth mode can again be enabled and will not interfere with the printing.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Again, also this does not work on my setup. Creating the LPR printer fails in exactly the same way as I now have described several times before,
Mystery solved. It was related to the "stealth mode" setting in OSX firewall settings.
Very glad to hear this! It was frustrating to think that a method that should work in every situation wasn't working for the one person who knows Sheepshaver better than anyone else.

Is there any hope that this could all be put into a guide? I can try to put one together, but I won't be able to finish it for at least a week, I think.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Awesome. I was even able to choose the OS 9 driver for my Xerox Phaser 8400B printer and it works! PrintToPDF, good and convenient as it is, is no longer a necessity.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The SheepShaver MacOSX setup guide has a short summery about printing and refers for details to this topic. When I have some time, I will make that summery into a more elaborate printing chapter.

I think that this last method should be the preferred way for most users as it will work whether or not the host machine has a static IP-address.

I wonder if the cupsctl command is really needed. When I just enter "cupsctl" now to view the current settings, the line

BrowseLocalProtocols=cups dnssd lpd
is there. I do not know if that setting is the result of the previously entered command or if that could be the default setting.

If a user has a networked PostScript printer and also has the printer description file for that printer, printing directly to that printer's IP-address would be a better option as it will make more features of the printer available.