Printing in OSX

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. This will work with any printer that is set as the default printer in MacOSX

2. The shared folder in COI is fixed to be the folder /Users/Shared/ on the MacOSX side. On the MacOS side it is the volume "Unix".

In MacOSX you can create a folder to be used for printing inside the folder /Users/Shared/
From the MacOS side you can access that folder in the volume "Unix".
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Hi ... I missed the first line of emendelson's Apr 06, 2009 reply. It was late and I missed the obvious. I apologize. So those instructions only apply to a PostScript printer ...

I have a LW 16/600 PS Fax that is a PostScript printer. It is connected to a D-Link Ethernet hub connected to an Airport Extreme Base Station. I tried line by line the instructions. With my Intel iMac IP address, multiple tests in the Internet Printer dialog have always crashed Classis-On-Intel (SheepShaver). When I put my LW 16/600 PS's IP address instead, the test works. When I press the create button in the Untitled 1 dialog, the window where I can put the name of the printer only has a Cancel button and no Save button. What is going wrong ?

I also have a HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 printer connected to my D-Link ethernet hub. I would like to use the folder action script method as I actually do with my dying Tiger machine still running Classic. In Classic-On-Intel (COI), the only way that I know of to exchange files between COI and OS X is through the «400Meg.dmg» file located in the Shared user folder. In what folder do I save the file from my OS 9 app for the folder action script to execute ?

Hoping all this information is clear ...

Regards.

Robert Lespérance
Québec, Canada
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

rlesperance wrote:Hi ... I missed the first line of emendelson's Apr 06, 2009 reply. It was late and I missed the obvious. I apologize. So those instructions only apply to a PostScript printer ...
You didn't miss the word "Postscript" - I added it only yesterday - and now I've removed it, because I've tested it, and it definitely works with ANY OS X printer, not just PostScript ones.

My SheepShaver and BasiliskII-based setups for running WPMac automatically install a folder action script that prints from WPMac to any OS X printer. You might install one of them and use it for your own purposes. You'll have to read the ReadMe First file that comes with the system for details. If you've got a Unix folder on your SheepShaver setup, then my method will work. See the linked page.

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/mac-intel.html

EDIT: Revised to report that the method in my Apr 06, 2009 post works with ANY OS X printer, not just PostScript.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I'm bumping this thread to confirm that (as Ronald correctly pointed out), the method in my 6 April 2009 post in this thread does in fact with any OS X printer, not just PostScript ones. Evidently, OS X's print queue is smart enough to see that some PostScript code is coming into it, and it converts that code into the output suitable for whatever printer it is writing to.

OS X continues to amaze me...
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

rlesperance wrote:I have a LW 16/600 PS Fax that is a PostScript printer. It is connected to a D-Link Ethernet hub connected to an Airport Extreme Base Station. I tried line by line the instructions. With my Intel iMac IP address, multiple tests in the Internet Printer dialog have always crashed Classis-On-Intel (SheepShaver). When I put my LW 16/600 PS's IP address instead, the test works. When I press the create button in the Untitled 1 dialog, the window where I can put the name of the printer only has a Cancel button and no Save button. What is going wrong ?
Did you make sure the destination for the desktop printer to be saved to is indeed the desktop?

If you have a PostScript printer in your network, and especially if you have the printer description for your printer installed in OS9, you can also follow a setup directly from SheepShaver to that printer, without using printer sharing in MacOSX as emendelson describes. See this step-by step instructions by me: (The used terms may differ slightly from the exact terms in an English system, I translated them from the terms in my Dutch MacOS system.) http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 7884#27884
I also have a HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 printer connected to my D-Link ethernet hub. I would like to use the folder action script method as I actually do with my dying Tiger machine still running Classic. In Classic-On-Intel (COI), the only way that I know of to exchange files between COI and OS X is through the «400Meg.dmg» file located in the Shared user folder. In what folder do I save the file from my OS 9 app for the folder action script to execute ?
I answered that already above. Don't you have an icon of a disk "Unix" on your MacOS desktop that opens to the /Users/Shared/ folder? Create a folder in the /Users/Shared/ folder on the OSX side and save the print file in that same folder in "Unix" on the OS9 side.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Update on my problems with SheepShaver... Thanks for your replies and help ! Making OS 9 available on OS X machines is a great project. Thanks for all this work.

I realized than there are many SheepShavers setups moving around. I tried many with different results. While experiencing, I also realized the importance of the Unix folder to move documents from OS 9 to OS X. I seem to have been working with a version that didn't have that Unix folder, or maybe was it trashed inadvertently. Anyway, my problem are gone and everything works perfectly now. I can add more ... It works better and faster than with Classic on my Tiger machine. I installed the COIV4.0.1 version, available on the page below from MacWindows (refer to the «New build of Chubby Bunny/SheepShaver package» posted Monday, January 5, 2009):

http://macwindows.com/OS9_on_Intel_Mac.html#010509c

No more crashes, the Unix folder is there and using PrintToPDF with the «folder action script» method works perfectly. Since I understood that emendelson's method for printer setup worked only for PostScript machines, I stopped working on it and used the «folder action script» method instead.

As for the different posts regarding the window display size, I fixed the problem by going to the OS 9 Monitors control panel and set it up 1024 x 856 with millions of colors. The size is perfect and I don't losse any resolution. It is probably the same I had on my OS 9 machines. Is there any better setup without loosing resolution quality ?

COI was using 120% of my CPU (???), so I checked the Don't use CPU when Idle in the SheepShavers preferences utility ... and the CPU is running smoothly at 35%.

I am new to SheepShaver. I am not sure I fully understand all implications and relations between the SheppShaver app, the COI builds and the SheepShavers preferences utility or even what I can or cannot do. As for now, everything is perfect. I use COI to run a 1993 Simply Accounting software. Now that I better understand SheepShaver and COI builds, it would be interesting to now:

(1) what is the latest stable COI build ?
(2) where are emendelson's latest printer setup instructions to use with any OS X printer ?
(3) how will I be able to update my Apple LaserWriter 16/600 PS setup with COI
since the Apple Printer Utility does not show my PS printer ?

Regards and thanks again to all of you working generously on this work.

Robert Lespérance
Québec, Canada
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

1) I don't think many of here use Chubby Bunny. It's preferable to create your own setup from an OS 9 install disk; you get a cleaner system. I tried Chubby Bunny once and gave up on it because it wasn't reliable enough.

2) My instructions for working with any OS X printer are exactly the same ones that you saw earlier and didn't use. I mistakenly revised them a few days ago to say they work only with PostScript - but that was a mistake, and I changed them back. I had forgotten that when I originally posted them I already knew that they work with any OS X printer - and so, in order to be safe, I changed them to say that they work only with PostScript. But that was a mistake. They work with absolutely any OS X printer.

I'm sorry to have confused matters by (briefly) changing the introductory note from the correct statement that the instructions work with any OS X printer.

You'll find the link earlier in this thread.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

rlesperance wrote:1) what is the latest stable COI build ?
I sometimes answer questions regarding COI, but we only support the original SheepShaver in this forum. COI contains SheepShaver, but combined with other files into a "easy" to set up package it is not freely configurable to meet individual needs. For specific questions regarding COI, go there.
(2) where are emendelson's latest printer setup instructions to use with any OS X printer ?
As emendelson already answered, his printer setup instructions are for any OSX printer. It was erroneously labeled as only suitable for PostScript printers. Corrected now. See the post and link earlier in the thread: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 1236#31236
(3) how will I be able to update my Apple LaserWriter 16/600 PS setup with COI since the Apple Printer Utility does not show my PS printer ?
If you want to use the setup for printing directly to the IP-address of your printer as I described, the printer description for your printer needs to be installed in the folder "Printer Descriptions" in the Extensions folder in the MacOS System folder. The file will probably be available in that location in your older Macs. If the specific printer description is not available, you can also use the default General setting. With the General setting you may not have access to all of your printer's possibilities.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Hi Ronald,

I am very happy with my COI 4.0.1 version. For what I know, it is faster than my original PPC iMac running Tiger. It is very stable and I have a window size of 8' x 10", probably cloning a regular OS 9 iMac screen. In short, I am delighted of being able to run my OS 9 accounting software on my Intel machine with so much ease and speed.

Nevertheless, I would like to try the latest SheepShaver version and compare it with COI 4.0.1. Is is possible to install both side-by-side in the same user on my OS X Intel iMac ?

Regards.

Robert Lespérance
Québec, Canada
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You can install them in the same user, but you can not use them alternately in the same user. Both use the same invisible prefs file and COI will overwrite that file each time it is launched.

If you want to set up SheepShaver in the same user, make sure to first delete the prefs file using the script that is included in the download. Then follow the setup guide. Using COI after setting up SheepShaver will destroy the SheepShaver setup.

Maybe first read the setup manual before you decide whether you want to try SheepShaver:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup
Ted Lee
Student Driver

Post by Ted Lee »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

Am I right in suspecting this solution will only work if your ip-address in OSX is already in the 10.0.x.x range?

Have you tried with any other range?

Best,
Cat_7
I don't see that anyone has answered this definitively. I couldn't get this solution to work on an Intel mini running Snow Leopard. The router I'm connected to gives out DHCP addresses in the 192.168.1.x range, so the mini happened to have the address 192.168.1.107. I tried manually giving the OS 9 TCP/IP an IP of 192.168.1.5 (putting in the router's address for the gateway) but that didn't help.
Ted Lee
Student Driver

Post by Ted Lee »

Ted Lee wrote:
Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

Am I right in suspecting this solution will only work if your ip-address in OSX is already in the 10.0.x.x range?

Have you tried with any other range?

Best,
Cat_7
I don't see that anyone has answered this definitively. I couldn't get this solution to work on an Intel mini running Snow Leopard. The router I'm connected to gives out DHCP addresses in the 192.168.1.x range, so the mini happened to have the address 192.168.1.107. I tried manually giving the OS 9 TCP/IP an IP of 192.168.1.5 (putting in the router's address for the gateway) but that didn't help.
P.S. -- running MacOS 9.0.4 inside Sheepshaver. Seems to work fine.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

There may be more variables involved. Printing to the shared printer does not work here either. My network is similar to emendelson's (Airport network and my iMac with OSX 10.6.7 has a static IP-address 10.0.1.13). But the 'Verify' step fails consistently. I tried switching off the Firewall in Snow Leopard, but that did not help. It could be that the fact that my printer is connected in my local network, not directly with USB to my iMac plays a role. But I can set that printer to be the shared printer in system preferences. The printer is not a PostScript printer, otherwise I could set up a LPR printer in 9.0.4 in SheepShaver to print directly to the printer's IP-address (10.0.1.12). When I try that, 'Verify' will find the printer in the network, but actually printing to the (non-PS) printer does not work.

Anyway, one should not try to manually change in TCP/IP control panel the addresses that slirp networking uses, that will not work.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:There may be more variables involved. Printing to the shared printer does not work here either. My network is similar to emendelson's (Airport network and my iMac with OSX 10.6.7 has a static IP-address 10.0.1.13). But the 'Verify' step fails consistently. I tried switching off the Firewall in Snow Leopard, but that did not help. It could be that the fact that my printer is connected in my local network, not directly with USB to my iMac plays a role.
My printers are connected via the local network also, not via USB, so that isn't the cause of the problem. Very puzzled at why this doesn't work in your setup. I tested it again recently and it works here.

If you can use "lpr" then you do NOT need to use a PostScript printer. Apparently, OS X's lpr command is smart enough to translate PostScript input into the output required by the printer. I used this system to print from OS 9.0.4 in SheepShaver, running in OS X 10.6, through a wireless network to an HP OfficeJet 8000 (which has absolutely no PostScript support). The OS X machine was connected by a wireless connection to the Airport Extreme router.

Very puzzling!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

My printer, a Canon MP600R all-in-one, is connected to a ethernet port of my AirportExpress and thus part of the network that connects most other devices in my home wirelessly. (I chose this solution because the scanner didn't behave nicely with a wireless connection.)

Setting up a LPR printer to the printer's IP-address works fine, "Verify" finds a device at the entered address. But printing does not work. The printer is apparently accessed as its LCD screen lights up, the desktop printer icon behaves as if something is being printed and as if the printing was successful, but the printer stays quiet, nothing is printed, no error message, nothing. I always thought that this setup, that bypasses the MacOSX host, does not work because it can only work with a actual PostScript printer.

Setting up a LPR printer to the shared printer (as you describe in this topic) does not work because "Verify" cannot find a device on my iMac's IP-address. That is the Snow Leopard iMac that has SheepShaver on it and that I set up to share the Canon printer.
Ted Lee
Student Driver

Post by Ted Lee »

emendelson wrote:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:There may be more variables involved. Printing to the shared printer does not work here either. My network is similar to emendelson's (Airport network and my iMac with OSX 10.6.7 has a static IP-address 10.0.1.13). But the 'Verify' step fails consistently. I tried switching off the Firewall in Snow Leopard, but that did not help. It could be that the fact that my printer is connected in my local network, not directly with USB to my iMac plays a role.
My printers are connected via the local network also, not via USB, so that isn't the cause of the problem. Very puzzled at why this doesn't work in your setup. I tested it again recently and it works here.

If you can use "lpr" then you do NOT need to use a PostScript printer. Apparently, OS X's lpr command is smart enough to translate PostScript input into the output required by the printer. I used this system to print from OS 9.0.4 in SheepShaver, running in OS X 10.6, through a wireless network to an HP OfficeJet 8000 (which has absolutely no PostScript support). The OS X machine was connected by a wireless connection to the Airport Extreme router.

Very puzzling!
But what address range does your local net use -- 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ted Lee wrote:But what address range does your local net use -- 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x?
10.0.1.x.

You might try:

1. Assigning SheepShaver an IP address on your 192.x.x.x network (probably won't work)

2. Assigning a static route in OS X between the 10.x.x.x network used by SheepShaver and your 192.x.x.x network (possibly won't work).

For item 2, Google: static route "os x" - you'll find plenty of instructions.
Ted Lee
Student Driver

Post by Ted Lee »

emendelson wrote:
Ted Lee wrote:But what address range does your local net use -- 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x?
10.0.1.x.

You might try:

1. Assigning SheepShaver an IP address on your 192.x.x.x network (probably won't work)

2. Assigning a static route in OS X between the 10.x.x.x network used by SheepShaver and your 192.x.x.x network (possibly won't work).

For item 2, Google: static route "os x" - you'll find plenty of instructions.
I've already tried 1. and it didn't work. I'll try 2. tomorrow. I suspect in the end I may need to change my router's address so the local network is in the 10.x.x.x range, but I'm not sure I'm desperate enough to get that of way printing to work to try it.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ted Lee wrote: I suspect in the end I may need to change my router's address so the local network is in the 10.x.x.x range, but I'm not sure I'm desperate enough to get that of way printing to work to try it.
Apple computers like 10.0.x.x IP numbers, it seems, though I can't remember why I concluded this, perhaps because of SheepShaver alone. Windows computers don't care. Even when I use a D-Link or Netgear router, I change the addresses from 192.... to 10.... It takes two minutes, and it's done.
Ted Lee
Student Driver

Post by Ted Lee »

emendelson wrote:
Ted Lee wrote: I suspect in the end I may need to change my router's address so the local network is in the 10.x.x.x range, but I'm not sure I'm desperate enough to get that of way printing to work to try it.
Apple computers like 10.0.x.x IP numbers, it seems, though I can't remember why I concluded this, perhaps because of SheepShaver alone. Windows computers don't care. Even when I use a D-Link or Netgear router, I change the addresses from 192.... to 10.... It takes two minutes, and it's done.
OK, I owe everyone a "never mind." It turns out the solution (using a host address, even if it's in the 192.x.x.x range, and CUPS queue) works just fine -- I just wasn't patient enough. The desktop printer showed a document being sent to it, but it took so long to print I thought it was hung somewhere and cancelled the job. Last night I just shutdown the computer. When I turned it on today, the last thing I'd tried to print came out the printer just fine! I tried again and waited what seemed like a long time and it worked fine again. I'm sure that what took the time was that between WordPerfect and the Laserwriter 8 driver it was generating a 2M print file (for one line of text!) I tried messing with the postscript options after that and got the size down to 1M, which of course printed significantly faster. I suspect something is still including some fonts in the print file, but there doesn't seem to be any way to prevent that.

Ted Lee
Minnetonka, MN
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ted Lee wrote:OK, I owe everyone a "never mind." It turns out the solution (using a host address, even if it's in the 192.x.x.x range, and CUPS queue) works just fine -- I just wasn't patient enough.
I've gone back and edited the instructions post so that it confirms that this solution works when the host Mac has a 192.x.x.x address.

Question for the moderators: is it worth making the instructions post a sticky, at the top of its own thread?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

This topic is already referred to in the SheepShaver for MacOSX setup guide. See chapter: Running Mac OS in SheepShaver > Printing.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:This topic is already referred to in the SheepShaver for MacOSX setup guide. See chapter: Running Mac OS in SheepShaver > Printing.
I ought to have noticed that. Thank you.
SwissMac
Space Cadet

Post by SwissMac »

Hello Classic-Fans!
emendelson wrote: 4. Start Sheepshaver. In the Finder, use File, Find... to find the Desktop Printer Utility and launch it. In the New Desktop Printer dialog, make sure that Laserwriter 8 is selected (there probably won't be anything else).
Until here everything works. But now there are differences. The "LPR Printer" is missing.

I tried the TCP/IP Printer. But it does not work. What I'm doing wrong?

the next settings are also different:

This run on a MacMini G4 with SheepShaver 2.3.20.... with german OS 9.0 under OSX 10.5.8.
The IP Adress is the adress of the MacMini in the local (DHCP) network.

Thanks for Help
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Is your printer connected through a network connection to your Mac Mini? You should enter the printer' ip-address in the second part of the screen.
You choice for TCP/IP printing is correct. LPR printing is also called TCP/IP printing.

Best,
Cat_7