Printing in OSX

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

jrethorst
Tinkerer

Printing in OSX

Post by jrethorst »

The SheepShaver GUI has a text box in the Serial/Network tab to enter (by typing) the printer port. I've looked through several sites about SS, but haven't been able to find what to enter there. For example, http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/proje ... help/setup says:
You can select to which devices the MacOS modem and printer ports are redirected. You can assign them to any serial ports you have, or even to parallel ports . . . Printer Port: Select any of the available com or ltp ports. Select file if you want to redirect output to a file.
But there is nothing to select. This is on a Macbook Pro with USB printing. What should I enter in this box?

Thanks,
John
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You could try to find out which device corresponds to your usb device in the /dev/ folder on OSX and try to enter that in the box in the GUI. But I don't know if that is a route leading to success...

Or you could use the Print to PDF tool to create a PDF that you then move to your shared folder (between SheepShaver and OSX) and print the file using any application capable of opening the PDF file.

Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I don't think SheepShaver has any USB support in MacOSX.

With "PrintToPDF" you can print to a PDF in MacOS:

http://www.jwwalker.com/pages/pdf.html
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Post by jrethorst »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

You could try to find out which device corresponds to your usb device in the /dev/ folder on OSX and try to enter that in the box in the GUI. But I don't know if that is a route leading to success
The only /dev folder in my 10.4.8 install has the full name of dev (OS 9), and it's empty.
spacedude
Space Cadet

Post by spacedude »

Using SheepShaver 2.3, I configured OS9's Desktop Printer Utility to allow me to print to a USB printer that's connected to an AirPort Base Station that's part of my office network. The printing protocol I selected from the Desktop Printer Utility menu is LPR. My Base Station is hooked up to a Mac OS X server running 10.4.8. Private IP addresses are distributed by the Base Station to various computers on my network using DHCP and NAT. The OS X server is configured to share the printer that's attached to my AirPort device. In the Desktop Printer Utility dialog box, I entered the private IP address that's assigned to my server.
DragonMac
Space Cadet

Post by DragonMac »

Hi all
Let see if I can bring this topic back to life.

First I do have some printing ability using a Desktop printer via LPR over to a network HP printer. What I would like to do is print to the USB printer that is directly connected to the Intel iMac. There are many issues to overcome but I have made some progress. The USB printer is PCL Okidata 4250 which prints files from OS X 10.4.10 & Parallels Desktop running XP & Command Prompt. All this works but in SheepShaver_29_07_2007 it's no go.
Progress: 8)
1: I can share the B4250 via OS X and loopback the file using a DTP via LPR set to the IP of the iMac.
2: I have found some Opendriver PPD file for Generic 5c 5e & 6 PCL printing.
3: By default the CUPS setup has Device URI: file:///dev/null for the B4250.

Roadblocks: :?
1. As I've said all job get to the OS X side of the B4250 from SS but CUPS chokes with the following set of messages in the log file.

Code: Select all

I [16/Jan/2008:23:38:34 -0500] Adding start banner page "none" to job 318.
I [16/Jan/2008:23:38:34 -0500] Adding end banner page "none" to job 318.
I [16/Jan/2008:23:38:34 -0500] Job 318 queued on 'B4250_' by 'rays'.
I [16/Jan/2008:23:38:34 -0500] Started filter /usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstopdffilter (PID 3802) for job 318.
I [16/Jan/2008:23:38:34 -0500] Started filter /System/Library/Printers/Libraries/PrintJobMgr/Contents/MacOS/PrintJobMgr (PID 3803) for job 318.
E [16/Jan/2008:23:38:35 -0500] PID 3803 stopped with status 68!
I [16/Jan/2008:23:38:35 -0500] Hint: Try setting the LogLevel to "debug" to find out more.
If you feel Debug log info will help I will post it. Let me know.
Does anyone know what a status 68 is.. I've looked and can't find a reference to it.
2. In general Mac OS 9 creates PS based print jobs I know. So any CUPS gurus have a suggested setup to force a PS job dumped from OS 9 to a CUPs share that will force a covert to PCL job to the printer?
3. Since the default URI is file:///dev/null how come I can't seem to figure a way to send the job in a more direct way to the B4250 from SheepShaver_29_07_2007?

Maybe I'm asking to much but thought I'd ask. 8O

BTW some other details:
Intel imac
Mac OS 9.0.4 image
MacOS_UPv10.ROM from Mac OS ROM Update 1.0.smi
Laserwriter 8 ver 8.7
Desktop Print ver 2.2.1
any other info needed just ask.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I don't know if any of the info in the next link is relevant to your problem, but you might want to read the first post and search the page for "printjobmgr".

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... ID=5923868

Best,
Cat_7
calion
Student Driver

Solved

Post by calion »

This is a really easy solution. Search for "CUPS" in Mac OS Help. This walks you through how to set it up on the OS X side. Use the Desktop Printer Utility in OS 9 to create an LPR desktop printer with the information the Help file tells you how to get. Works like a dream. If you choose a PPD for a color printer, color printing should work (although everything is bolded for me for some reason...hmm.)
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Calion, can you please elaborate? It this some kind of workaround to get SS to print directly to the default OX X USB printer? Or is it only for printers connected to a router with an IP of their own?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Here are the details of how to print to any OS X printer from Sheepshaver running under OS X. The instructions are based on Leopard, Snow Leopard, or Lion in the host Mac and 9.0.4 in Sheepshaver. It works with absolutely any OS X printer - the printer does NOT need to be a PostScript printer.

Before you begin, in Sheepshaver preferences, make sure slirp is selected as the Ethernet interface. Then, in Sheepshaver itself, in the TCP/IP control panel, next to Configure, choose Using DHCP Server. Then proceed as follows.

1. In OS X, click the Apple menu, then About This Mac, then More Info..., then (under Lion) System Report then Network, or (under Leopard or Snow Leopard) simply click Network. In Network, find the IP4 address; this is your Mac's IP address on your network. It will be something like 10.0.1.15, but almost certainly will be a different set of numbers. Write it down. Close the System Profiler (the program that displays the information you wrote down.)

2. In OS X, use System Preferences, then Sharing; put a checkmark next to Printer Sharing. Then, in the list of printers, highlight the printer that you want to print to, put a checkmark next to its name, and, under Leopard, click Open Print & Fax settings, or, under Snow Leopard, click Open Print Preferences.

3. In the Print & Fax settings, your chosen printer should be highlighted. Click Open Print Queue. In the dialog that describes your printer, under Leopard, click Info, or, under Snow Leopard or Lion, click Printer Setup; then, on the General tab, find the Queue Name (typically something like HP_LaserJet_4300, but with the name of your printer, not mine), highlight the queue name, and press Cmd-C to copy it to the clipboard. Close System Preferences.

Note: Before proceeding to the next steps, keep this important advice firmly in mind: Do not use the Chooser! No matter how tempted you are to open the Chooser and choose something, don't do it! If you are unable to resist the temptation to use the Chooser, please stop now, and do not try to continue with this method. Remember: Do not use the Chooser!!

4. Start SheepShaver. In the Finder, use File, Find... to find the Desktop Printer Utility and launch it. (Do not use the Apple Printer Utility, which is a completely different program. You absolutely must use the Desktop Printer Utility or this method will not work!) In the New Desktop Printer dialog, make sure that Laserwriter 8 is selected (there probably won't be anything else). In the list of options, select "Printer (LPR)" and click OK. (In some non-English versions, "Printer (LPR)" may appear as an entry that looks like "TCP/IP Printing" or something similar; look for LPR or TCP/IP and choose that item.)

5. In the Untitled 1 dialog, find the icon in the lower box, which is labeled either "Internet Printer" or "LPR Printer Selection" (depending on which version of the Desktop Printer Utility you have) and click the Change... button to the right of that icon. In the Internet Printer dialog, in the TOP line (Printer Address) enter the IP address of your Mac, which you found in step 1. (Something like 10.0.1.15 - but don't use 10.0.1.15 unless your Mac really and truly is at the address 10.0.1.15, because this is only an EXAMPLE. If you try to make this work by typing 10.0.1.15 into the box without actually finding the correct number in step 1, it is guaranteed NOT to work.)

6. Don't close that Internet Printer dialog! Click in the Queue box, press Cmd-V to paste in the Queue name that you copied in step 3, typically something like HP_Laserjet_4300 (but again, this is only an EXAMPLE - this will only work if you use the correct name.) If you are using a 64-bit version of SheepShaver, you may need to type in the Queue name instead of pasting it with Cmd-V; if you do, double-check your typing to make sure it is correct; then check it again. If you do not type it exactly correctly, this method is guaranteed not to work.

7. Don't close that dialog! Click Verify. This will test that something really is at the IP address you entered. If the verification doesn't work, start over, and check every step. If the verification works, then click OK. (If it still doesn't succeed after a second attempt, see the paragraph below that begins "If it still does not work" - the paragraph about Stealth Mode.)

8. Back in the Untitled 1 dialog, the next step depends on the version of the Desktop Printer Utility that you have. If you see a Create button, click on it, and in the Save Desktop Printer dialog, enter a name for your printer, like "OS X Printer" or "Roscoe" or anything you like, and click Save (if you see a Save button) or OK (if you see an OK button). If you don't see a Create button, go to the File menu and choose Save; enter a name for your printer, like "OS X Printer" or anything else, and click either OK (if you see an OK button) or Save (if you see a Save button). Close the Desktop Printer Utility.

When the printer icon appears on your SheepShaver desktop, try printing from WordPerfect or SimpleText or any other application in Sheepshaver. If something goes wrong, start over and follow the instructions EXACTLY. Please try following the instructions in obsessively complete detail, two or three times if necessary.

If it still does not work, in OS X, use System Preferences, open the Security & Privacy settings; if the Firewall is not already on, then click the Start button. Then click the lock to enable changes, and click on Advanced... If "Enable Stealth Mode" is checked ON, then remove the checkmark, because the setup for this method cannot possibly work if Stealth Mode is on in the OS X firewall. If you want to turn off the Firewall, then you may do so, but the Firewall must be started before you can click the Advanced... button. (You may turn Stealth Mode on again AFTER completing printer setup, but it must be off WHEN you create the Desktop Printer.)

Create PDFs from SheepShaver: This method makes it easy to print PDFs from SheepShaver. Search the Internet for "CUPS-PDF for OS X" and download and install the latest version. Create a CUPS-PDF printer in OS X's System Preferences. Share it, as described in steps 2 and 3 above. In SheepShaver, create a desktop printer as described above; the queue name will be CUPS-PDF. Print to it. The PDF output will go to the OS X folder named /Users/shared/cups-pdf/ANONYMOUS (this is actually a shortcut to a folder in a hidden folder, but this is the easiest way to reach it). Create a shortcut to that folder in a convenient place in your OS X system, and you get easy access to the PDF output. (Alternative method: an excellent Mac OS printer driver named PrintToPDF is available, but it limits you to using Times and Helvetica fonts, not any other actual fonts that may be in your documents; the CUPS-PDF method is more flexible.)

Troubleshooting note: If you get an error message from the Mac OS in SheepShaver when you try to print from old applications such as SimpleText, cancel the print job. Then try to print again, but, in the Print dialog, change the Font Download (or similar) settings so that the print job sends TrueType fonts, not PostScript Type 1 fonts, and do NOT check the box that tells the system to download all fonts. Do all this ONLY if the Mac OS tells you that printing has failed.

Note: This solution works even if your Mac has a 192.x.x.x address, not a 10.x.x.x address.

Note: Edited 17 March 2011 to include Snow Leopard instructions and to confirm that it works with all OS X printers. Edited again 26 April 2011 to confirm that this method works when your Mac has a 192.x.x.x address. Edited again 16 June 2011 to describe different versions of the Desktop Printer Utility. Edited again 13 November 2011 to add a warning about Stealth Mode (thanks to Ronald for that one). Edited again to specify all possible buttons. Edited again 14 November 2011 to clarify Stealth Mode issues - thanks again to Ronald.
Last edited by emendelson on Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 16 times in total.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Hey, emendelson, can I post those instructions in the site wiki?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Yes, of course.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Am I right in suspecting this solution will only work if your ip-address in OSX is already in the 10.0.x.x range?

Have you tried with any other range?

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I don't know the answer to that, unfortunately. My router is an
Airport Extreme, which is preset to 10.0.... I probably won't have time to remap the router to some other set of addresses and test it.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes,

I suspected that. I can't get it to run in my IP-range. I believe the slirp networking shields from the internal network. Unless you are on that network already.

Let's hear from others.

Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

If the printer is set up as a network printer with its own IP-address, printing with a LPR desktop printer should always work, regardless the IP-range in the network:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 7884#27884

(I am not certain about the English terms and labels in that posting because my MacOS9 system is Dutch.)
Spiff
Space Cadet

Post by Spiff »

To clarify: It looks like SS cannot print to a USB printer that is connected directly to my computer. Is that right? (I wasn't able to get the procedures above to work with a USB printer connected to my MacBook Pro.)

So instead I need to get the printer connected to the network and then print via my ethernet connection?

Thanks for the help.

Spiff
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

That will only work if your printer is a networked PostScript printer. That excludes most consumer printers.

If your printer is not a PostScript printer, there is no way to print to it directly from within SheepShaver. The easiest way is to use PrintToPDF to print to a PDF file (see above). Alternatively you can set up a desktop printer that will print to a PostScript File.

You can then copy the PDF or PS file to the MacOSX side, open it in Preview (Preview will convert a PS file to PDF), and print it.

(You could set it up to save the PDF or PS file to a special folder inside the SheepShaver (Unix Root) shared folder and create a folder action to automatically print a file that is added to that folder.)
Spiff
Space Cadet

Post by Spiff »

PrintToPdf does the job perfectly. Thanks for all of your help getting started with SheepShaver. I'm all set to go now!

Spiff
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

The folder action script below makes it possible to print to any OS X printer (PostScript or non PostScript) from SheepShaver or Basilisk II. It's based on work by many other people, including John Rethorst.

1. Copy the script below and paste it into a blank window of the OS X AppleScript Editor, and save it as an AppleScript, perhaps named "Print from Basilisk" or something similar.

2. Next, create a folder in your OS X system that is accessible to SheepShaver or Basilisk II though the "Unix" folder. The easiest thing to do is to create a new folder inside whatever OS X folder is your "Unix" folder in Basilisk or SheepShaver, and give the folder a name like "Printout." Assign the "Print from Basilisk" script as a Folder Action Script for the folder "Printout". If you don't know how to do this, search the web for "Folder Action Script." Instructions vary depending on the version of OS X. You MUST know how to assign a Folder Action Script to a folder in OS X before proceeding. If you don't know, stop now and find out. Do not play around with various things in the hope that one may work. Find out exactly how to do it, and make absolutely certain that the script is set as a Folder Action Script for your "Printout" folder.

3. In SheepShaver or Basilisk II, open the Mac OS System Folder. (Remember, you are opening the System Folder in the emulated version of System 7 or OS 8 or 9 that is on the emulated hard disk in SheepShaver or Basilisk II, not in your OS X system.) Inside the System Folder, find the Extensions folder and open it. Inside the Extensions folder, find the extension named "LaserWriter 8"; select it and press Cmd-I to get information about it. Look at the version number near the top of the Get Info window; if it says 8.5.1 or later, then close all windows and proceed to step 6. If it says anything lower than 8.5.1, then go on to step 4.

4. If you are running System 7.5.3 or 7.5.5 in Basilisk II or SheepShaver, then download LaserWriter 8.5.1 from this link: http://imina.soest.hawaii.edu/rcf/macfi ... .1.sea.hqx

If you are running System 7.6.1, 8.5, or 8.6, download LaserWriter 8.6 from this link:
http://imina.soest.hawaii.edu/rcf/macfi ... .6.smi.hqx

Copy the downloaded file to the emulated hard disk in Basilisk II or SheepShaver, so that it is in the emulated hard disk (NOT the Desktop) of your emulated Mac OS system. Then follow the instructions on this page to install the driver:
http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/rcf/FAQs/macLPR/macLPR.htm

5. When the software has been installed, find the Desktop Printer Utility (not the Apple Printer Utility, but the Desktop Printer Utility) in your emulated MacOS system. Launch the Desktop Printer Utility; from the menu headed "New", choose "With LaserWriter 8" at the top and "Translator (PostScript)" at the bottom. A window will open headed Untitled 1. Do not change the PostScript Printer Definition File setting; in the lower part of the Window, under Default Destination Folder, click Change. In the Select Folder... dialog, click Desktop, then click Unix, then select the folder you created in step 2, named (perhaps) "Printout." Click "Select Printout' at the foot of the menu. Back at the Untitled 1 menu, click File, then Save, and save your new desktop printer as whatever name you like, perhaps "OS X Printer." Quit the Desktop Printer Utility. Make sure your new desktop printer is set as the default printer; to be certain of this, click on the printer icon, then on the Printing menu, make sure there is a checkmark next to Set Default Printer. By the way, do NOT use the Chooser - do not even think about the Chooser - because the Chooser will NOT be of any use for this procedure.

6. Still in SheepShaver or Basilisk II, print from any application. When the Print dialog opens, make sure that your new "OS X Printer" is the selected printer, and make sure that the destination is "File". Before proceeding further, look at the dropdown menu of options that probably says "General" or "General Options" or something similar. Click on the list of options, and find the options labeled "Save as file" or something similar (you may need to try a few of these options until you find the one you need. The ones that you absolutely MUST set are the Font Embedding option, where you should choose "Embed all fonts (except the basic 13)"; and, in the choice between saving in PostScript Level 1 format or PostScript Level 2 or 3 Format, choose "PostScript Level 2 or 3". Make sure that the printfile has the extension .ps (which it will have by default). If you find a "Background printing" option, you may want to experiment with that setting in order to increase printing speed slightly.

When you have the options correctly set, click Save. If you have performed the preceding steps correctly, a dialog will open showing your "Printout" folder, and the dialog will offer to save a file with the filename extension ".ps". Click Save. After a few seconds, your file will print on your default OS X printer.

That ends the instructions. Here is the script that you need to copy into your AppleScript Editor and save as script:

Code: Select all

property DELAY_TIME_SECONDS : 1.5 -- How long to wait between checking file size.

on adding folder items to TheFolder after receiving fileList
	set thisFile to (item 1 of fileList) as alias
	set fileString to (thisFile as string)
	if fileString contains "DS_Store" then return
	if fileString ends with ".ps" then
		repeat with f in fileList
			set oldSize to 0
			set newSize to -1
			-- When newSize equals oldSize, copy is complete because the size hasn't changed
			repeat while newSize ≠ oldSize
				-- Get the file size.
				set oldSize to size of (info for f)
				delay DELAY_TIME_SECONDS
				-- Sample the size again after delay for comparison.
				set newSize to size of (info for f)
			end repeat
			doPrint(thisFile)
		end repeat
	end if
end adding folder items to

to doPrint(thisFile)
	with timeout of 300 seconds
		delay 1
		repeat while (current date) - (modification date of (info for thisFile)) < 2
			delay 2
		end repeat
		tell application "Printer Setup Utility"
			open thisFile
			repeat while (busy status of (info for thisFile))
				delay 1
			end repeat
			quit
		end tell
		delay 1
		tell application "Finder" to delete thisFile
	end timeout
end doPrint
Note that the number in the top line can be reduced in order to make the file print more quickly, at the risk that the printfile won't be ready to be printed because the whole file has not yet been sent to OS X from Basilisk II; or the number can be increased to increase the certainty that the printfile will be ready for printing when the script sends it to the printer. The setting 1.5 (seconds) works reliably on my system, but you can experiment with higher or lower numbers
Last edited by emendelson on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Nice! Thanks for sharing.
Rolando
Space Cadet

Post by Rolando »

I'm thinking this is a good place to submit this post. I've successfully installed SheepShaver running OS 7.5.3, on my Mac Pro running OSX Leopard. I've been investigating the printing function. I've been able to print by LaserWriter printer and 'save to file' a postscript (xx.ps) file, then opened that with Acrobat in OSX and printed from there.

I tried installing PrintToPDF in the OS 7.5.3 extensions file and was able to select it in Chooser and print to it. I got a good file that I was able to open with Acrobat in OSX. But I've had two issues. It took a much longer time to print the file using PrintToPDF versus the time it took to save a .ps file. The other issue was that the OS in SheepShaver hung after the file was printed. I had to force quit out of SheepShaver and re-launch. Like I said, when I went to the Shared File, the pdf file was there and opened fine.

What do you think? Is PrintToPDF not a good choice to use with OS 7.5.3? I know that all the discussions seem to be about OS9, but my need was for programs that only run in 7.5.3.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:44 am, emendelson wrote:
«Here are the details of how to print to any OS X printer from Sheepshaver running under OS X.»
Do I understand that these instructions only applies only to Postscript printers ?

Robert Lespérance
Québec, Canada
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:43 pm, emendelson wrote:
create a folder in your OS X system that's accessible to SheepShaver

I am using Classic-On-Intel. The only bridge that I know to OS X is trough the Shared folder. Since my bridge to SheepShaver is through my «400Meg.dmg» file, where do I put a folder in OS X for it to be accessible to SheepShaver ?

Regards.

Robert Lespérance
Québec, Canada
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Probably so. I should revise that post.

EDIT: No, that method works with ALL OS X printers, PostScript or not.
Last edited by emendelson on Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.