Classic vs actual OS9: PLEASE HELP!

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

elteye
Space Cadet

Classic vs actual OS9: PLEASE HELP!

Post by elteye »

Hello everybody,

my trusted old G4 used to run Steinberg 'Nuendo' recording software on OS9. I used OSX for everything else. Was able to toggle between 9 and X by selecting startup OS for next session and then restarting.

Problems:
My version of Nuendo does not work in Classic, only in OS9. Don't ask why.
Newer versions of Nuendo are now video editing software, no longer the superior audio editing.
My G4's startup drive broke and it has received a new startup drive and I no longer have OS9 installed.

ALL I WANT TO DO IS RUN NUENDO AGAIN.
I DO have the 'install OS9' CD that came originally w the G4. (I also have the 'install OSX' CD but it's 10.1.2)

My G4:
933MHz Power PC, 2MB L3 cache
Currently running OSX 10.4.11

Am afraid to mess anything up by doing installation of OS9 on this computer.

I've so far been able to make my computers do what I needed, software and OS-wise, but I do not really know much about the jargon. Please help me out here!!! (and use not-so-specific-jargon, AKA plain English please!!!)

Thanks,

Teye
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi, and welcome!

As I understand your problem, you have installed OSX on your new start up disk, but forgot to also do a full install of OS9 on it.
I would guess that to use the two operating systems alternatively you would need a hard disk with two partitions, not one. An after OSX install of Classic doesn't solve your problem as you know your program doesn't run in Classic.
It seems to me you would need to reinstall the machine to get back to to situation where you have two completely separated operating systems.

Our emulator SheepShaver can't help you there, it doesn't do sound in and it is questionable whether it runs your program even for sound out.

Perhaps someone else more knowledgeable about dual booting PPC macs can chime in?

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

There is no need to use a different partition. MacOSX and MacOS9 can be installed on the same partition and you can then use Classic in MacOSX or choose to start up from either MacOSX or MacOS9.

The MacOS9 installation should be available on the original CDs that came with your Mac. I'm not sure if MacOS9 was still available on the MacOSX 10.4 (Tiger) installation disks, but it was available on MacOSX 10.3 (Panther) and MacOSX 10.2 (Jaguar) installation disks. In all cases it should be possible to do the MacOS9 installation with an optional installation or "Additional Software" installation without installing MacOSX, so without overwriting your Tiger system. If you have a MacOS9 installation disk, you can also use that one to install the system simply on the partition that does already contain Tiger.

If the installed MacOS9 is 9.1.x or 9.2, best update to 9.2.2 (updaters available on Apple's website).

See also: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html ... mh763.html
elteye
Space Cadet

Thanks!

Post by elteye »

Yes I DO have the original disk and it is v 9.2.2

I was about to install it, and then decided to give the www a quick glance to see if there were issues with the higher version OSX that I now have, and ...well then you run into stuff. That's how I found SheepShearer, and this forum.

That audiosoftware Nuendo is something that I need for a new music project, say once every two or three years. I have had my G4 running on OSX 10.4.11 for a few years now, everything works and I WOULD HATE TO MESS ANYTHING UP!

So there are NO ISSUES? I can just restart from the "Install OS 9"- original Apple CD and that's it?

THANKS very MUCH!!!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Thanks!

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

elteye wrote:So there are NO ISSUES? I can just restart from the "Install OS 9"- original Apple CD and that's it?
Yes. Of course you should do a normal installation and not erase the target disk. The OS9 installer will just add OS9 and will not touch the existing files. Any additional OS9 applications are best installed after startup in OS9. You can switch between startup in MacOSX or OS9 just like you used to with previous MacOSX versions. If you use also the classic environment in MacOSX, the first time you do that some additional files may be installed in the OS9 System Folder.

Succes ermee! ;)