SheepShaver UB build for Mac OS X, July 21 2008, incl Manual

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

somniferous
Tinkerer

Post by somniferous »

on the other hand perhaps I am not trainable. I was *wondering* why those end tags of html seemed to appear in the wrong spot. :P
somniferous
Tinkerer

Post by somniferous »

It is true. I did as Cat said and reloaded the newest version over the old (remembering of course to save the ROM and replace it in the new).

I still lost a simple text file that I created in Sheepshaver. I saved it to the desktop and I also saved it to an alias folder on my OSX desktop. I used the simpletext off of my OS9.0.4 install. I used both names with "." and without. I cannot find the file. I have even used Kilometre and cannot it. I am going to try Word Perfect and see if it that file will save and do what I need it to.

By the way the alias folder on the desktop is where I put all my Basilisk files and I never lost them...well yet. After all I am learning.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

somniferous wrote:It is true. I did as Cat said and reloaded the newest version over the old (remembering of course to save the ROM and replace it in the new).
I am not sure what you did, you can simply replace the application without changing or removing anything else. No need to remember to save the ROM file, because you would not touch it while replacing the application.
I still lost a simple text file that I created in Sheepshaver. I saved it to the desktop and I also saved it to an alias folder on my OSX desktop. I used the simpletext off of my OS9.0.4 install. I used both names with "." and without. I cannot find the file. I have even used Kilometre and cannot it. I am going to try Word Perfect and see if it that file will save and do what I need it to.

By the way the alias folder on the desktop is where I put all my Basilisk files and I never lost them...well yet. After all I am learning.
Exactly what is this "alias folder" on your MacOSX desktop? Is it an alias to a folder? Where is that folder located? How do you save a file from within SheepShaver to that "alias folder"? Don't you have a folder (not an alias, an actual folder) set to be the shared folder ("Unix Root") in SheepShaver settings? Which folder (its location) did you set as shared folder?
somniferous
Tinkerer

Post by somniferous »

I am not sure what you did, you can simply replace the application without changing or removing anything else. No need to remember to save the ROM file, because you would not touch it while replacing the application.
I needed to get rid of some files that I had installed that should not have been there. I see now that I could have made it much simpler. Thanks.
Exactly what is this "alias folder" on your MacOSX desktop? Is it an alias to a folder? Where is that folder located? How do you save a file from within SheepShaver to that "alias folder"? Don't you have a folder (not an alias, an actual folder) set to be the shared folder ("Unix Root") in SheepShaver settings? Which folder (its location) did you set as shared folder?
I probably make this more complex but I am always afraid of losing really important things. When I was changing over from the G4 so I created a folder called today's docs in the Documents folder. Then I put the alias on the OSX desktop. Just so I could keep track of which were new from the G4. I started putting "todays" files into it.

From OS9 SS I save the documents into the actual folder. But Simple Text does not save there visibly. Other apps have (MacProjectPro and FilemakerPro and .pdf). I haven't used it enough (because it makes me nervous) to know whether any other files go invisible besides the Simple Text or Teach Text files. Both those go invisible reliably.

In order to save a file to the today's folder, I "save as" from within the software and select the Desktop, select Unix. I then save the file anywhere within my user folder (which is my shared folder). I save it to the "real" Today's documents.

I could create an alias for Today's on the OS9 desktop and save it there. I haven't tried that.

On the other hand the file also goes invisible when I save it to the MacOS9 desktop (every file tends to do that). This should be able to be seen in the desktop folder in "shared". But it is not visible even with Kilometre.

It also goes invisible if I try to save directly to the Documents folder or directly to the "shared" folder.

MacProjectPro files also go invisible if I just save them to the OS9 desktop. I had hoped that they would be visible from there. I wish there was a way to peer into Sheepshaver desktop from OS9 besides that one folder...or with that folder in the shared folder, reliably.

(I like my new icons.)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You can work on existing files in the shared folder and save the changes, but indeed, you cannot save a new file to the shared folder from within SheepShaver. The files do not become invisible, they are not saved at all.

This is of course a bug, not noticed before. Apparently few people save new files directly from within SheepShaver to the shared folder (I myself never do that).

Save a new file to the MacOS desktop and copy it (drag it) from there onto the 'Unix' volume or a subfolder. You can create an alias of a much used subfolder on the SheepShaver desktop, but still you need to save the new file to the desktop first and then drag it to that alias.

BTW: It is safer not to use important folders (folders with important content) as shared folder. Create a separate folder to be used as shared folder and only use it to copy files between the two environments.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

On my OS X system, at least, files saved to the Unix folder in Sheepshaver are saved in a folder named "Desktop Folder" in the top level of my OS X user directory. Perhaps the files are there in your setup also, and are not entirely lost?
kelvin31415
Tinkerer

Post by kelvin31415 »

Some applications seem to be able to save files into the Unix "disk", and others not.

I've done a few traces, which suggest that the problem might have to do with the lack of support for MakeFSSpec in Basilisk II's extfs. Unfortunately, I only had time to do a few simple experiments, and will not be able to work on this further in the near future. Perhaps there are other developers lurking about who have the time and inclination.

One app that creates files successfully is Disk First Aid. I can tell it to save its results into a text file, and this works fine. Canvas 3.5 also works.

An app that does not create files successfully is SimpleText. It does create a data fork and a resource fork, writes to both, attempts to exercise the unsupported MakeFSSpec, and ultimately deletes the file that it had created.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

That's correct - SimpleText can't save to the Unix disk, but Internet Explorer can. Very curious!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

And I tried this with SimpleText only. :oops: :wink:
Tenya
Space Cadet

Post by Tenya »

Alos very annoying is the fact that I can't make an alias of a network disk on my desktop so every time I have to connect to a local server I have to type the full IP number of the machine I want to access.
Any AFP connection (except for mounting a network disk from selector/chooser by hand) in classic Mac OS requires ICMP_ECHO_REPLY (ping reply) from AFP servers. However, SS's slirp does not support ICMP except for the SS's local address (10.0.2.2). Indeed I could not get any ping reply from other local servers using WhatRoute on SS+OS9. So external AFP volumes can not be mounted by double-clicking aliases of network volumes (including automounts).

A possible solution to this problem is to modify src/slirp/ip_icmp.c to virtually reply to ICMP_ECHO requests to any (or only your AFP) server. For example, one may duplicate line 118 (icmp_reflect(m);) in src/slirp/ip_icmp.c like:

Code: Select all

115: case ICMP_ECHO:
116:    icp->icmp_type = ICMP_ECHOREPLY;
117:    ip->ip_len += hlen; /* since ip_input subtracts this */
118:    icmp_reflect(m);
119:    icmp_reflect(m);
120:
121:    if (ip->ip_dst.s_addr == alias_addr.s_addr) {
With this modification, when slirp receives ICMP_ECHO requests from AFP clients to ANY hosts, it returns "nominal" echo replies. This worked well in my netboot environment, i.e., my external network folder is automounted everytime (the alias is put in "servers" in the system folder).

Because this is a first-aid treatment, further (elegant) hacking would be necessary....
Kaariishimaa
Space Cadet

Run Mac OS 9 Emulator on Windows

Post by Kaariishimaa »

On my windows computer, I downloaded a Game called Glider Pro 4.0 and It can only run on a Mac OS 9 Computer...Is there a way to run the game on a windows XP computer..?

Kaariishimaa
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Set up SheepShaver for Windows:

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup

(PS: you should maybe start a new forum topic if you want to talk about this game)
Kaariishimaa
Space Cadet

Post by Kaariishimaa »

Thankyou!
mschmitt
Tinkerer

Re: Run Mac OS 9 Emulator on Windows

Post by mschmitt »

Kaariishimaa wrote:On my windows computer, I downloaded a Game called Glider Pro 4.0 and It can only run on a Mac OS 9 Computer...Is there a way to run the game on a windows XP computer..?
Yes.
  1. Glider Web
  2. (Older) Glider 4.0 for Windows
ifrodo
Space Cadet

Post by ifrodo »

Ronald, I wonder why fullscreen is not working with your build? I got a big black screen and nothing else.
Using Gwenolé Beauchesne old build fullscreen is working just fine, but with your build, no go :(
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

iFrodo,

The build in this particular forum topic is old. Did you try using the most recent build:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5911

??
robbo007
Student Driver

Post by robbo007 »

Hello all,

I'm having trouble burning a MAC OS 9.1.2 ISO so that I can use it to run sheepshaver.

I've downloaded various ISO files but all fail at 99% when I burn them using Toast. Is there anything special I need to do to burn them.

I want to install OS 9.1.2 under sheepshaver. I gather you can't tell sheepshaver to boot from a mounted .ISO file right?

Thanks,
Rob
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Actually, you CAN boot from a CD disc image:

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... the_system

However, SheepShaver only supports up to Mac OS version 9.0.4.