SheepShaver UB build for Mac OS X, July 21 2008, incl Manual

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You cannot use those QuickTime versions in SheepShaver. The latest version that will work in 9.0.4 in SheepShaver is QuickTime 4.1.2. I do not know which versions will work in 8.6 in SheepShaver, possibly also 4.1.2. I have QuickTime 3.0.2 in 8.6.

Note that you cannot simply downgrade QuickTime by again installing an older version.

(To show an image or a link in the forum, you need to use BBCode.)
Wizardling
Space Cadet

Post by Wizardling »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:That is really strange. There should be no difference between the (S) and (H) versions with respect to running specific OS versions. The (S) version works fine for me with 8.5.1, 8.6 and 9.0.4 and with a different ROM file also with 8.1.

Edit: This was answering:
Okay, NM - it was just that I was choosing SheepShaver(S) UB 21-07-2008 which is not working right. The hardware cursor app is the only one that loads my Mac OS 8.6 CD.
About your QuickTime problems, see my next posting.
The software cursor version only worked once I had 8.6 installed, but not before (except to change prefs without mounting any disks).
Wizardling
Space Cadet

Post by Wizardling »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:You cannot use those QuickTime versions in SheepShaver. The latest version that will work in 9.0.4 in SheepShaver is QuickTime 4.1.2. I do not know which versions will work in 8.6 in SheepShaver, possibly also 4.1.2. I have QuickTime 3.0.2 in 8.6.

Note that you cannot simply downgrade QuickTime by again installing an older version.

Thank you for that info :-) I'll give it go now.
Wizardling
Space Cadet

Post by Wizardling »

Wizardling wrote:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:You cannot use those QuickTime versions in SheepShaver. The latest version that will work in 9.0.4 in SheepShaver is QuickTime 4.1.2. I do not know which versions will work in 8.6 in SheepShaver, possibly also 4.1.2. I have QuickTime 3.0.2 in 8.6.

Thank you for that info :-) I'll give it go now.
Well now SS crashes after I installed QT 4.1.2. Here is the crash report: http://pastebin.ca/1292702 The crash now always happens just as MacOS 8.6 is starting to load extensions and CPs.

I also could not run Stuffit Expander after uninstalling QT. Odd.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Wizardling wrote:Well now SS crashes after I installed QT 4.1.2. Here is the crash report: http://pastebin.ca/1292702 The crash now always happens just as MacOS 8.6 is starting to load extensions and CPs.
especially
I also could not run Stuffit Expander after uninstalling QT. Odd.
I really do not know what you are doing or what your problem can be. Maybe there are remnants of the older QuickTime installations or corruption of extensions-related preferences files.

Instead of trying to find the cause, I suggest you start from scratch, install in SheepShaver a clean system using a regular Apple install CD. Next be very careful which software you install additionally, especially software that installs files in the System Folder, such as extensions. First run the emulated machine without additional software to be certain it is stable, then do one installation at a time, testing the system between installations, so you can tell which new software causes problems. Do not install additional software like a newer QT unless you are positive you need it.

Never have disk images mounted in MacOSX and SheepShaver at the same time. Always shut down the emulated machine properly.

Many use this build without any of your problems, so I am quite sure your problems are not related to this build as such. Next time you have a problem with SheepShaver, open a new thread in the forum, tell exactly what you have been doing before the problem started, include information about your Mac and MacOSX version, about the ROM file you use and post the content of the SheepShaver prefs.
(In Terminal: open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs will open the prefs file in TextEdit.)
Hagan
Space Cadet

Post by Hagan »

I'd like thank you a lot for this build, it works so better than older versions and it is quite fast. I'm currently using it with Mac OS 8.6

Thanks also for the tip about using TextEdit to edit preferences, very useful even if I'd love get a cool GUI preference editor with stuff like drag&drop, reordering of list of disks, enabling/disabling disks. 8) i know you just did the build not changes to the cvs.
inquisitive1
Student Driver

Manually configure Software Cursor?

Post by inquisitive1 »

Hi and thank you for all your efforts to make SheepShaver a viable Mac Emulator.

I've been using the 2006 build of SheepShaver (2.3-Pre) to keep some older Mac software alive (MacOS 9.0.4 on Intel iMac/Tiger). One issue that arose was imprecise cursor location, especially in drawing programs. Intrigued by the new 2008 build "SheepShaver(S) UB 21-07-2008" I recently tried updating to this 'software cursor' version, only to suffer numerous crashes and volume corruption (according to Disk First Aid).

My question is whether I can use the older 2006 Sheepshaver build and manually configure the "software cursor" option? I've downloaded the newer SDL library (http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php) and wonder if pointing the older Sheepshaver version at the newer library may be a quick and easy fix. I'd need to know Terminal commands, etc.

Thanks for any info.
kelvin31415
Tinkerer

Re: Manually configure Software Cursor?

Post by kelvin31415 »

inquisitive1 wrote:My question is whether I can use the older 2006 Sheepshaver build and manually configure the "software cursor" option?
Afraid not.

The cursor location fix and support for using a software cursor are both in the base SheepShaver code, rather than in SDL. You'll get neither of these features with older versions of SheepShaver, regardless of which SDL library you use; and in any case, SDL is statically linked with the SheepShaver binary (for Mac builds) so you wouldn't be able to use a different library unless you built from source.
inquisitive1
Student Driver

Re Cursors and Pointer Mode control panel

Post by inquisitive1 »

Thanks for your quick reply!

I found a Mac quickie fix for SS2006 users who don't want to upgrade to SS2008. I used an Apple Control Panel found on an old OS9 install disk called "Pointer Mode", that can reset Cursor position to "Standard Mode." I did a little experimenting with a well-known WISYWIG drawing program to see which SS build worked best for me (MacOS9.0.4/Intel iMac/Tiger). Here are my preliminary results:

1. SS-2006 (2.3-Pre) In WISYWIG app cursor location is imprecise on screen both for drawing tools and text selection/insertion. However X-Y indicators on document Rulers are precise(!?!). When Pointer Mode is set to Standard Mode ("on") cursor location becomes precise, but when app switches to custom cursor, custom and standard cursors are displayed together, one on top of the other. Helpful, none-the-less. A quick fix, and right now, most stable build for me (some issue with shared Unix folders disappearing, still investigating).

2. SheepShaver(H) UB 21-07-2008 Excellent cursor positioning. Having stability issues, exploring now. Crashes frequently, most often upon quitting WISYWIG app (yes, even after App reinstall). Frequent volume corruption per DFA. Wish I could solve crash issues.

3. SheepShaver(S) UB 21-07-2008 Excellent cursor positioning. Using WISYWIG app, Cursor location insensitive to Pointer Mode setting. Some stability issues, exploring now. Feels a little slower than the hardware-cursor build. Some stability issues, exploring now.

Hope this information might be of use for future builds, etc.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

May 2006 (2.3-Pre) snapshot:
Issues with the shared folder are known. Disappearing folders and files, loosing Mac-specific properties of files like resource fork and type and creator metadata. Known problems with the shared folder are all solved in the July 2008 builds.

July 2008 (H) and (S) builds:
Stability problems are reported when running SheepShaver for extended periods of time (hours). Stability may be improved by setting in SheepShaver preferences the Refresh Rate to a lower value (30Hz or 15Hz) and/or by disabling QuickDraw acceleration. (With low refresh rates, cursor movements in the (S) version will become jerky.)

Note that changes made in preferences will take effect after quitting and re-launching SheepShaver.

File system corruption on the used disk images is probably secondary to the crashes. I have not seen volume problems with SheepShaver.

However, if you mount a disk image also in MacOSX, you cannot use Disk First Aid on it anymore. Disk First Aid will not recognize the changes that MacOSX makes to the volume. Mount the image in MacOSX and check/repair it with Disk Utility or with an application like DiskWarrior. (In Disk Utility select in the sidebar the mounted volume, not the image file.)

Is it SheepShaver itself that crashes or applications and/or the system on the emulated machine? That is not clear in your description.

The (S) build is indeed a little slower than the (H) build because of the needed extra processing.
inquisitive1
Student Driver

Network Access / Shared Folders / Pointer Mode / .dmg Volume

Post by inquisitive1 »

Thanks for the great feedback!!

RE Crashes in SS(2008)-S-cursor: These occur repeatedly upon quitting my particular WISYWIG application. Quitting the WISYWIG App takes down the whole SheepShaver Environment, OS-X-Tiger is fine as usual.

I agree OS9 File System (sorry--not volume) corruption is secondary to these crashes.

For those who are interested, I think I've traced the problem to a shutdown routine where the WISYWIG App tries to update files used by an "online" updater/helper plug-in routine, pieces of which are located within the "Application Support" folder of my System Folder. I pulled out these bits and the main WISYWIG app works just fine, and no crashes.

I guess the take home lesson is don't let Apps/OS9 go a-hunting for a network where none exists: crashes result. Could be one cause of 'long-term' stability issues mentioned in this thread (also Quicktime?).

RE Unix Shared Folders: Under SS2006 haven't had a problem for over 6 months. Suddenly when I emulate under SS2008 and revert to SS2006 these folders disappear. Strange. I've tried deleting SS prefs, Zapping PRAM, fixing OSX file permissions, etc. Still testing.

RE "Pointer Mode": Seriously, if anyone is still using SS2006 this is a quick fix if you need to do precise work in a drawing or page-layout program. Arrows and I-beams behave themselves once again.

RE Disk Images: For Classic volumes I've had good luck with .dmg files. I create them in OSX but never mount them in OSX. SS2006/2008 opens the unmounted .dmg file just fine (Mac OS9.0.4). I make frequent .dmg backups and can mount them in OSX if SS misbehaves and I really need to get to a document.

Cheers!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Network Access / Shared Folders / Pointer Mode / .dmg Vo

inquisitive1 wrote:RE Unix Shared Folders: Under SS2006 haven't had a problem for over 6 months. Suddenly when I emulate under SS2008 and revert to SS2006 these folders disappear. Strange. I've tried deleting SS prefs, Zapping PRAM, fixing OSX file permissions, etc. Still testing.
Unexpectedly disappearing files and folders in the shared folder is an old problem. There is no solution for it in the older SS builds. However, if the folders have 'disappeared' on the MacOSX side, you can make them visible again there. See also the SheepShaver FAQ:
http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/proje ... r/help/faq
(This FAQ was written before there was a GUI available to write the prefs. The mentioned "extfs" configuration option refers to defining the shared folder.)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Network Access / Shared Folders / Pointer Mode / .dmg Vo

inquisitive1 wrote:For those who are interested, I think I've traced the problem to a shutdown routine where the WISYWIG App tries to update files used by an "online" updater/helper plug-in routine, pieces of which are located within the "Application Support" folder of my System Folder. I pulled out these bits and the main WISYWIG app works just fine, and no crashes.
Nice find!
inquisitive1
Student Driver

Back to the drawing board...

Post by inquisitive1 »

Thought I had this fixed...

Under Sheepshaver2008 my WYSIWYG drawing app is acting up again. Closing the app crashes Sheepshaver2008(S+H).

I've looked through Sherlock records and see that some files are routinely written... many are common with those seen during a normal shutdown (e.g. an invisible "Shutdown check" file). This raises the possibility is that quitting the WYSIWYG app inappropriately activates shutdown in Sheepshaver2008.

I can forward screenshots to interested programmers. Note: I can only find crash logs for Sheepshaver2006, not Sheepshaver2008. If they've been moved let me know.

I'm not a programmer and so cannot offer any insight. For now I'm reverting to SheepShaver2006 with Pointer Mode. I've been able to get shared folders back up and running after a few days.

Cheers!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

At present, no programmer is working on SheepShaver, Gwenole Beauchesne has suspended further development of SheepShavers, so no changes are to be expected soon (or ever).

BTW: I don't think you told us which application is causing problems. You refer to it as "WISYWIG" ("WYSIWYG"?) drawing application.
spacific
Student Driver

Wonderful!

Post by spacific »

Wonderful! I came back to the forum to see what was new, just wondering whether the cursor problem had been fixed and I find it has, together with other problems -- and a more polished product too. Congratulations to all involved. Everything works like a charm.
somniferous
Tinkerer

Post by somniferous »

How did you change the icons? I would like that.

I wish I understood about networking. What is a mounted share? Where do I write that path?
somniferous
Tinkerer

Post by somniferous »

Oh and speaking of Icons. Is there a way to fix the icon of Filemaker? It works in Basilisk but not in SS. I get the generic Application icon in SS.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

somniferous wrote:How did you change the icons? I would like that.

I wish I understood about networking. What is a mounted share? Where do I write that path?
If those questions refer to postings in this thread, please quote what you are referring to. Now we have to guess what you are talking about. Which changed icons, where? Where did you read about a mounted share?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

somniferous wrote:Oh and speaking of Icons. Is there a way to fix the icon of Filemaker? It works in Basilisk but not in SS. I get the generic Application icon in SS.
Are you using the July 2008 build of SheepShaver (which is the subject of this thread) or an older build of SheepShaver (which will have files loose their icons in the shared folder)?
somniferous
Tinkerer

Post by somniferous »

I am sorry I am reading so many threads today I think I am lost. No, I am sure of it. I was looking at the preference thread that talked about icons. Sorry about that.

I *think* I am using the July 2009 build. But I may not be. Anything is possible. Should I try the newer build? If I do how do I get it to work? Should I put this post in the right place so someone else can find it?

I think I'll go to sleep now and try this again in the AM.

Thanks.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You can just re-download the july 2008 build and place the SheepShaver it contains over the one you have now in the folder where you keep SheepShaver.

Cat_7
somniferous
Tinkerer

Post by somniferous »

RR/Alex. Yes it was this thread. At the beginning of it (July 24, 2008) the HD and the program icons are discussed. It was early in the Preferences discussion. (Although it would be helpful to see the thread name while I am posting just so that I could double check.) I would like to change my icons too. It looks very nice.

As for mounted share it was also this thread (Aug 16, 2008) networking is discussed. I was assuming if I could get the email to work I might be able to email myself a file before it disappeared.

My build says Version 2.3 (if that is helpful) Since it has both the H and S options I am assuming it is the July 2008 build (not 2009 typo in that last reply). Is there a more recent build that will fix the invisible problem? I do like Kilometre (which seems to see most hidden files (not all perhaps) but some files are far to valuable to even *think* about losing. And I need to quickly move them from OS9 to OSX so I can make conversions and sometimes return the data back to OS9.

I am hoping that when I create the file in OSX and revise it, it will never be invisible. But frankly I am too scared to test it. I think I'll keep working in Basilisk and making copies of the file before I risk putting it in SS until I learn more about what is happening.

Thanks Cat. Once I learn which version is the right one I will do as you say.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Better do not refer to old postings like this, especially when they are just a side path to the original subject of a thread. I takes a lot of searching to find out what you are referring to. Either quote the message that you are referring to, or give a direct link to that message.

Icons can be selected, copied and pasted, and pasted icons can again be deleted, in the Finder Info window for a file. This feature has been available for decades.

Version 2.3 does not tell which build you use, all builds for the last three years have version number 2.3. When you can choose between H and S versions, that probably is the July 2008 build. The problem of files becoming invisible should be solved in that build. You are not using file names that should not be used in MacOSX for normal files? Like file names that start with a "." (a dot)? Those files will be invisible in MacOSX.
somniferous
Tinkerer

Icons,

Post by somniferous »

[/quote]If those questions refer to postings in this thread, please quote what you are referring to. Now we have to guess what you are talking about. Which changed icons, where? Where did you read about a mounted share?

Oh goodness, I am sorry. I didn't understand how the quote thingy worked. Sigh. Let me try this again.
Just for fun

In SheepShaver I pasted a nice HD icon on my MacOS9 "HD"

How did you change the icons? I would like that.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Alexandre Daigle

A solution that works perfectly is to connect from MacOSX and use the mounted share as shared folder. However, I do not know how safe this is. A couple of years ago I would not have suggested it because of the problems with the (Unix Root) shared folder. But those problems seem to have been solved. If you try this, make sure to have the eMac server backed up and to use the latest SheepShaver build to avoid the nasty problems with the shared folder in previous versions.

I am trainable. Thanks Ron. Now I see that I can create a new off topic thread topic which is nice for searching. (now that I know I can search). :oops: