SheepShaver UB build for Mac OS X, July 21 2008, incl Manual

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

SheepShaver UB build for Mac OS X, July 21 2008, incl Manual

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

New SheepShaver Universal builds for MacOSX 10.4 or 10.5, compiled from CVS July 21, 2008. One with hardware cursor and one with software cursor, both with built-in preferences editor.

Improvements since the July 12th build:
- Mouse buttons now correctly numbered.
- If no ROM can be opened SheepShaver will quietly quit instead of hang.
- Refresh Rate "Dynamic" now sets correctly frameskip to "0" and is now the preferred setting for the software cursor version of SheepShaver.

Full download, complete with both software and hardware cursor versions, updated manual, keycodes file and scripts (1.7MB):
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... 210708.zip

Separate files (all included in the above full download):

Only the software cursor version application (719KB):

Only the hardware cursor version application (709KB):

Two handy scripts, "Zap PRAM" to delete the .sheepshaver_nvram file and "Delete Prefs File" to delete the .sheepshaver_prefs file (35.5KB):
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... cripts.zip

Single keycodes file (2.3KB):
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... ycodes.zip

Online manual (updated July 21):
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... er_manual/
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Splendid! Thanks to all those involved in the improvements and the compilation. Right clicks finally work on Mac OS 9 thanks to Kelvin and TheMouse2B.
kelvin31415
Tinkerer

Post by kelvin31415 »

Excellent! I'm using your build now. 8)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Just for fun

In SheepShaver I pasted a nice HD icon on my MacOS9 "HD"

You can download it here:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... on.sit.hqx

And on my SheepShaver application I pasted this OS9 icon:

See the faces of your (Mac-knowledgeable) friends when you click this icon in the Dock on your Leopard Intel Mac. 8)

(Would be even more spectacular when SheepShaver would run fullscreen. :mrgreen: )

You can download it here:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... S9icon.zip
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

You can go beyond that. I renamed the SheepShaver application as "Classic" and made sure that very same icon is high-resolution and has transparency. Inside OS9, I just placed an OS X modified disk icon with a big copper 9 inside, and a regular OS X disk icon for "Unix". If you prefer, there are OS X disk icons with a large blue X on top. I also added some custom icons in the OS X side of things for the disk image (OS X disk icon with the copper 9), a genuine ROM icon for the ROM file, and an icon showing a few keys for the keycodes file.

I wouldn't mind sharing these icons with the rest of you, but I don't know how to post them here.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

PeterHolbrook wrote:I wouldn't mind sharing these icons with the rest of you, but I don't know how to post them here.
I simply put the files on my website and enter the (full !) url to the files in the message here. The url will be displayed in the message as link. (Make sure to use a file format that server and browser know to be one that should be downloaded to disk, like a zip archive.)

Example images can be inserted in your message by using the Img tag, see buttons above the reply box. Hovering over the button will show an example, clicking the button will insert the start tag, clicking "Close tags" will insert the closing tag.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

OK. A friend has just helped me put all my SS icons together in one single sitx archive. Here's the link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/132178938/S ... .sitx.html
Best wishes.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Nice. Next time use an archive format that is more widely used in MacOSX, like the zip compression that is available directly in the Finder. Stuffit, once the number one utility (and for .sit archives still useful in classic MacOS environments), has fallen into disuse and I hadn't seen a .sitx archive in years. I will have to install a recent Expander to open your archive.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Interesting. I thought sitx was customary in OS X. It usually has higher compression rates than zip.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

PeterHolbrook wrote:Interesting. I thought sitx was customary in OS X. It usually has higher compression rates than zip.
Yes, but sitx never became generally accepted as sit was in MacOS and few people still use it. Zip compression is conveniently available in the Finder and can be used for sending files to Windows users as well. Zip archives and dmg disk images are the most used archive formats in MacOSX. Stuffit Expander used to come installed on Macs, but Apple stopped that years ago. I use "The Unarchiver" for expanding archives that the system does not handle by itself, The Unarchiver handles most formats, including sit, but not sitx.
Inside OS9 I use Stuffit Expander, Aladdin DropStuff and Aladdin DropZip, version 6.0.1 each (still have paid registration for DropStuff and DropZip).

I like the transparency in your "9" icon. I will use it instead of the one I pasted together from other images. Inside OS9 I prefer the original 8/9 HD icon rather than icons that are derived from OSX icons.
MacUser
Tinkerer

Any network inprovements ?

Post by MacUser »

Hello Ronald,

A question, is there any news about a better working and more reliable network for SS ?

Best,

Wim
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Any network inprovements ?

MacUser wrote:A question, is there any news about a better working and more reliable network for SS ?
I do not have any problems with 'slirp' networking in SheepShaver MacOSX for accessing IP-networks. Are you using SheepShaver on MacOSX? Which version and on what kind of machine? Which MacOS do you use in SheepShaver? Which are your problems with networking?
MacUser
Tinkerer

Network issues

Post by MacUser »

Hello Ronald,

I am running SheepShaver on a MacBook Pro, the problems I have with Slirp ar about loosing the wifi network after a short time of use.

This problem occurs under OSX 10.4.11 and OSX 10.5.4 so it is independent of the OSX version.

Alos very annoying is the fact that I can't make an alias of a network disk on my desktop so every time I have to connect to a local server I have to type the full IP number of the machine I want to access.

I tried several OS classic systems from 7.5.3 up to 9.02, all with the same result. I also tried several seetings for monitor size, RAM use etc. without success.

When I connect the MacBookPro with an ethernet cable the problem about the loosing connections are gone but unfortunately working hard wired is not an option for me, I really I must be able to access the network wireless.

The wifi connection is stable and I have never experienced any problem when running OSX, ping time is fast and always 100%.

Any ideas how to solve the wifi connection issue and how to make a connection to a local server with a single click ?

BTW, thanks for your help.

Best,

Wim
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I searched for your previous posts to see what your problems is. Yes, accessing a AFP file server running MacOSX does not work nicely in SheepShaver. I do not know if it would be more stable with a file server running MacOS rather than MacOSX. I cannot try that, I do not have any machines that can boot MacOS anymore.

Maybe the overhead involving permissions in MacOSX is part of the problem. If I connect as guest to a MacOSX server, the connection is stable and reliable. Copying from the 'Public' folder and copying to the 'Drop Box' folder works fine.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

From your earlier posts I understand that you need SheepShaver on your MBP to edit HyperCard stacks that are elsewhere in the network on a eMac running 10.3.9. Why not connect from your MBP tot that eMac in MacOSX, fetch the files to be edited, put them in the shared folder, edit them in SheepShaver and send them back again to the eMac from MacOSX?
MacUser
Tinkerer

Post by MacUser »

Hello Ronald,

Your memory is fine ;-)

Indeed I need SS to work with HyperCard stacks but the workflow you suggested involves tranferring of the original stack to another locartion and after working with them transferring the stacks back to the eMac.

In fact I tried something like that before but it is a very risky method because if the stacks are not transferred back and the same stacks later are used directly from the eMac then I have two stacks with different content and then I am really screwed.
So to be on the save side and to avoid any mistakes I must (net)work with 1 bunch of stacks with 3 computers.

Thanks for your help, I appriciate it a lot.

Best,
Wim
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

A solution that works perfectly is to connect from MacOSX and use the mounted share as shared folder. However, I do not know how safe this is. A couple of years ago I would not have suggested it because of the problems with the (Unix Root) shared folder. But those problems seem to have been solved. If you try this, make sure to have the eMac server backed up and to use the latest SheepShaver build to avoid the nasty problems with the shared folder in previous versions.

- Connect from MacOSX to the server.
- Set in SheepShaver preferences the path to the shared folder ('Unix Root') to: /Volumes/name-of-the mounted-share
- Quit SheepShaver and launch it again.
- The 'Unix' volume will give access to the eMac server.

(With these settings for SheepShaver, if there is no connection to the server when SheepShaver is launched, there will be no 'Unix' icon on the SheepShaver desktop.)
MacUser
Tinkerer

Post by MacUser »

Hello Ronald,

That is a very god suggestion.
Later I will give it a try.
It can take some time but when it is a succes I will let you know.

Best,

Wim
MacUser
Tinkerer

It works !

Post by MacUser »

Roanald it could be that your last tip to use the UNIX shared space for working on my stacks is the answer for the broken wifi network connection problems.

I have to do some more testing before I am 100% sure but after 15 minutes of testing I don't have experienced any network problem, and for me that is a unique period of time !

Besides the stable network connection there is the advantage that the moment SS is runing my stacks are immidiatly available in the UNIX folder so no more annoying log-in actions for the local server with IP number/password.

When the local server is disconnected from my MBP and I start SS then the UNIX shared folder is not mounted (visible) on the SS desktop, just as it should be.

So all together I am happy with this solution because finally I have a workable situation :-)

There is just one item on my SS wishlist and that is the possibility to drag and drop files from the OS Classic desktop to/from the OSX desktop, just the way it is possible to do with Parallels for Windows.
As a workaround I can use the UNIX shared folder as an intermedium but then all files has to be transfered twice by WiFi, first an upload to the local server and then a download back to the MBP. This situation is not ideal because WiFi is a bottleneck for speed.
An other workaround could be an extra UNIX shared folder. It seems to me that a UNIX shared folder is more suitable for working on files with OSX and OSClassic at the same time then a shared disk image.

BTW, from your last SS version the trackpad of the MBP respond the best with the HW mouse version.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best,

Wim.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: It works !

MacUser wrote:from your last SS version
To set the record straight: I only did the building from source, the actual programming was done by others, especially kelvin31415 and Myrd have contributed to recent improvements.
MacUser
Tinkerer

Finaly SS works as expected

Post by MacUser »

I have worked with SS and a Unix shared folder (connected by WiFi) in a real working situations all day long with great results.
No problems whatever occured so finaly SS works for me as expected !

Hiep-Hiep-Hoera for all folks that made this possible :-)

Best,

Wim
Wizardling
Space Cadet

SS quits when my MacOS 8.6 CD is loading.

Post by Wizardling »

Could I have the wrong ROM? I used one that worked with a previous SS installation which came off a G3 Mac.
Wizardling
Space Cadet

Re: SS quits when my MacOS 8.6 CD is loading.

Post by Wizardling »

Wizardling wrote:Could I have the wrong ROM? I used one that worked with a previous SS installation which came off a G3 Mac.
Okay, NM - it was just that I was choosing SheepShaver(S) UB 21-07-2008 which is not working right. The hardware cursor app is the only one that loads my Mac OS 8.6 CD. Well, onwards installing Mac OS 8.6...
Wizardling
Space Cadet

QT is broken under this build of SS.

Post by Wizardling »

With either QT 5.0.4 or 6.0.3 under Mac OS 8.6 I get <http://img116.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... e97gx8.png> (Huh, why didn't my screenshot work?). Well what you SHOULD see is a fractured and damaged looking desktop picture.

I also get low memory errors for QT Player no matter how much RAM I give it :-(

Also - the 6.0.3 QT installer failed the first time around (though it didn't know it). I was left with a broken QT install. I deleted all the QT parts manually and reinstalled. No help with the above problems :-(

Oh dear. Is their a step by step guide to getting 8.6 working properly under SS or is it impossible? Is OS 9 a better bet? The trouble is several older games break under 9.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

That is really strange. There should be no difference between the (S) and (H) versions with respect to running specific OS versions. The (S) version works fine for me with 8.5.1, 8.6 and 9.0.4 and with a different ROM file also with 8.1.

Edit: This was answering:
Okay, NM - it was just that I was choosing SheepShaver(S) UB 21-07-2008 which is not working right. The hardware cursor app is the only one that loads my Mac OS 8.6 CD.
About your QuickTime problems, see my next posting.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.