Hiding SheepShaver's menubar

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

jrethorst
Tinkerer

Hiding SheepShaver's menubar

Post by jrethorst »

The SheepShaver window could be 20 or so pixels greater in height if the menu bar could be hidden. This MacOSX hint:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php? ... 8003804854

explains how to do that, but I can't get it to work with SheepShaver (Intel build of 11 April 08).

The hint explains how to auto-hide the menubar on a per-app basis by editing the info.plist in the package contents. The setting it recommends lets you mouse over the menubar area, at which point it reappears. I'd even prefer the setting described in Apple's Runtime Configuration Guidelines (link on the MacOSX Hints page) that lets you hide the menubar completely for a specific app. That might make it easier to expand the SS window vertically, for a little extra space -- and just the "classic" menubar whenever SS is active.

On a friend's advice I tried rebuilding the Launch Services database after making the edit, but still could not get it to work. All suggestions welcome.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Here it works as desribed in the hint. Maybe you added the lines in the wrong place? After editing, the content of the info.plist file in my (July 21) H build of SheepShaver looks like this:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
	<string>English</string>
	<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
	<string>SheepShaver</string>
	<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
	<string>6.0</string>
	<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
	<string>APPL</string>
	<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
	<string>????</string>
	<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
	<string>2.3</string>
	<key>CFBundleIconFile</key>
	<string>SheepShaver.icns</string>
	<key>CSResourcesFileMapped</key>
	<true/>
	<key>LSUIPresentationMode</key>
	<integer>4</integer></dict>
</plist>
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Post by jrethorst »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Here it works as desribed in the hint. Maybe you added the lines in the wrong place?
Right place but wrong editor. With Plist Pro it works fine. This is an easy way to get an extra 20 pixels of vertical space in the SS window.
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Re: Hiding SheepShaver's menubar

Post by jrethorst »

This no longer works, as of Yosemite, or at least I can't get it to. The menu bar is hidden, and an Applescript can tell System Events to tell SheepShaver to move the window, but the OS moves it right back.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

As of Yosemite, the full screen plist value is slightly different IIRC; I can't recall the change off-hand, but someone must have written about it by now.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote:As of Yosemite, the full screen plist value is slightly different IIRC; I can't recall the change off-hand, but someone must have written about it by now.
The full-screen plist value is still 4 in Yosemite; it hasn't changed; it's exactly the same as before:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios ... 431-113616

There are some changes in the full-screen API for Yosemite, but they have to be programmed into the app itself in Xcode, and that's not probably going to happen for SheepShaver. Details here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac ... enApp.html