I can't get SS to work

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

AutoFugu
Space Cadet

I can't get SS to work

Post by AutoFugu »

Hi all, I'm new to Mac emulation and discovered SheepShaver today while trying to figure out how to play an old Mac game, Pathways Into Darkness. Well I downloaded SS 2.3, the SDL, installed the GTK and moved the cd rom driver into my system folder. I have the new world 86 rom and I have a Mac OS 9.04 iso mounted in Daemon Tools Lite. I keep following the setup exactly but when I start SS I keep getting this error:

Cannot map SheepShaver Data area: No Error.

I am running Vista Home Premium 32 bit if that helps any. I have no idea what to do. I scoured the forums but couldn't find anything. Thank you for all of your help in advance.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

That error has never been posted about on the forum. Wow. It might have something to do with Windows Vista, perhaps? Most of the posters in the history of the forum have used XP.

Accordingly, I don't know what is causing that.

EDITTED: I gave bad advice!!
Last edited by ClockWise on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

It might help if you use the GUI to set memory to 512 Mb.

Do you use the build referenced here (top one)? http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5325

If not, please download it and try again. And can you right click SheepShaver and select "Run as Administrator"? What happens?

Best,
Cat_7
boyanml
Inquisitive Elf

Re: I can't get SS to work

Post by boyanml »

AutoFugu wrote:... and I have a Mac OS 9.04 iso mounted in Daemon Tools Lite.
Why? Let SheepShaver mount the .iso image.
AutoFugu
Space Cadet

Thanks!

Post by AutoFugu »

Alright, I have everything working great with no errors! I used the latest build and bumped the memory down to 512. I guess I didn't have to mount the iso in Daemon Tools, thanks for the tip, looking back at that it makes no sense really :oops: . Anyways, Pathways is running great and so are some other games I installed. Thanks again for everyone's help, even if it didn't apply :wink: