Sheepsaver crashes on start

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Lennyciotti
Space Cadet

Sheepsaver crashes on start

Post by Lennyciotti »

the weirdest thing i happening...
I installed sheepshaver, I followed the instructions, it launched and was working fine.
unfortunately I couldn't install Baldur's gate because I didn't have enough space in the volume (playing BG was the ony reason I installed Sheepshaver in the first place).
I exited the program, went back to the GUI and created another volume called /games (10GB).
after that, every time I start sheepshaver, it boots, and it shuts down before it boots completely. I tried deleting the volume but it kept crashing even after the volume was deleted.
can anyone tell me what should I do?
and after THIS problem is solved.... how do I install the game? it won't let me install it under the UNIX folder.

THANKS.
Lenny
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I believe there is a maximum disk image size of 4 GB. Try using one that size.

But if you've already removed the large volume (and removed it from the GUI), I don't know what is up with your continued problem.

Meanwhile, for installing the game, you should copy Baldur's Gate from the unix folder to your hard disk image before you install the game. Avoid installing programs from the unix folder.

Here is a thread about limits on the hard disk size:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=27794

Do check that out
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Are you running on OSX? Did you set the option "Ignore illegal memory access" in the preferences editor?
Please try that. Otherwise, you can try to delete the preferences files from your home folder and start with a new setup.
The files are normally invisible, but with "ls -a" (in a terminal window) you can see them. Then use
"rm .sheepshaver_prefs" and
"rm .sheepshaver_nvram"
to remove the files. When you start SheepShaver the next time, new versions of the files will get created. You can then configure SheepShaver fresh. Add the boot volume and see if SheepShaver starts with it. If your error repeats, make a new volume and install Mac OS again. As Clockwise said: you can't install BG on the Unix disk, nor install from it. You can only use it to exchange files with your host.

Best,
Cat_7