Dazed & Confused...

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ChrisClassic
Student Driver

Dazed & Confused...

Post by ChrisClassic »

Hi - just got SheepShaver to install/launch ok but I'm not sure I've done everything right.

I can't figure out how to access my OS9 programs that I have on the hard drive. There no way to drag & drop the apps from where they reside in OSX into the SheepShaver icon or upon the SS desktop. Did I miss doing something during the installation?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Better not use OS9 applications while they are on your hard drive. You need to install them within SheepShaver or copy all files belonging to a certain application (especially when some of those file belong in the System Folder) over to the SheepShaver emulated Mac.

In the setup you can assign a folder on the MacOSX side ("Unix Root" in the GUI application or the PrefsEditor) that can be used as shared folder to move files between MacOSX and MacOS. Note that when you drag a file from "Unix" to the SheepShaver desktop, it will still be in the shared folder (in a Desktop folder). To copy a file to the OS9 volume in SheepShaver, you need to actually drag it to that volume (or to a folder on it).

Which build of SheepShaver are you using? Make sure you use one of the newer builds that you can find in sticky topics at the top of this SheepShaver forum. The older builds, like the May 2006 snapshot by Gwenole Beauchesne, have serious bugs that can turn your OS9 files useless when trying to transfer them through the shared folder feature.
ChrisClassic
Student Driver

Post by ChrisClassic »

Thanks, Ron. I am using version 2.3 - is that ok? Also, to clarify, I should install the apps from their original CDs?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

ChrisClassic wrote:Thanks, Ron. I am using version 2.3 - is that ok?
I mean the build, not the version number. All builds since 2006 have version number 2.3. Which build do you use, built at which date, and where did you download it from? The orignal 2006 2.3 snapshot is not OK.
Also, to clarify, I should install the apps from their original CDs?
When possible, use the orignal CD's, installers, etc. If that is not possible, you need to copy all related files from the original installation, including files that were installed in the System Folder.
ChrisClassic
Student Driver

Post by ChrisClassic »

I'm not sure how to tell which build it is - it only says "2.3" under the "about SheepShaver" drop down box. I can't recall where I got it from as I've been tinkering with this for a while now and just came across your web site yesterday. It has a version of WordPerfect inside it. I can download/reinstall from here if advisable.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I see. That probably is the version that is distributed by a third party with system software and ROM file included. (Distributing installed MacOS systems and distributing ROM files are both illegal, anyway in violation of Apple license agreements.)
I am not sure which SheepShaver build is included. Are you running SheepShaver on a Intel Mac?
ChrisClassic
Student Driver

Post by ChrisClassic »

yes, Intel.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Better use a more recent build with which we are familiar and that is known to not have the serious bugs from the early 2.3 builds. You can simply replace the SheepShaver application in your setup.

The SheepShaver build that you will find here
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5567
will probably run fine on your Intel Mac.

the build that you will find here
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 0294#30294
is a bit more experimental, but I have seen no problems with it. Advantages over the first one is that it uses much less CPU time and it solves a rare problem on some Intel machines that prevent SheepShaver from running.

Both builds have the preferences editor built-in (Preferences in the SheepShaver menu). Changes in the settings are saved by closing the preferences window. The changes will not take effect until after SheepShaver is shut down and launched again.
ChrisClassic
Student Driver

Post by ChrisClassic »

Ron,

I installed the build from your first link and upon launch, it now crashes during the startup process.

Also, prior to installing the new build, I did an install of an OS9 application on my original SS install and was successful - the app's CD mounted on the SS desktop and I was able to bring it on board via the installer. However, following the install and required SS re-boot, I was unable to relaunch SS successfully as it also crashed during the startup process at about the same place I currently experience with the new build.

Any ideas?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Which application did you install?

Do I understand correctly that SheepShaver launches fine, but that there is a crash during the MacOS startup process? Exactly at which point does the crash happen?

Can you startup MacOS with extensions off? (Launch SheepShaver with shift key pressed and hold the key until you see the extensions disabled message in the welcome screen.)
ChrisClassic
Student Driver

Post by ChrisClassic »

Macromedia SoundEdit is the app. Yes, SS launches and then there's a crash a second or so after during the start-up process. I just tried launching with shift key held down and everything came up fine, albeit extensions are off.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Possibly a incompatibility with extensions that were installed with SoundEdit. Which version did you install?

Extensions Manager will work. Find and disable extensions that were installed with Sound Edit. Which are those extensions?

Sound-related software may not work properly in SheepShaver, several sound related extensions are incompatible with SheepShaver. Another complication could be that the MacOS that came with your WordPerfect version of SheepShaver may not be a normal MacOS9 installation. Or did you install MacOS9 yourself?
ChrisClassic
Student Driver

Post by ChrisClassic »

It's version 2 of Soundedit. I opened extentions manager but could not tell what Soundedit installed. What I see in there is Sound Manager v3.3. The Mac OS on my SS is 7.6.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Hm, the Extensions Manager in 7.6 apparently does not provide this additional information, may be that was introduced in 8.0. The information can be found in Finder Info for the file, but scanning all the extensions in Finder Info will be a lot of work.

Usually we advise to remove "Sound Manager" and "Apple Audio Extension" if present.

Does MacOS startup with only the MacOS 7.6 set enabled in Extensions Manager?
ChrisClassic
Student Driver

Post by ChrisClassic »

Yes, it did start up and I'm not sure this is an issue or not, but under the Extensions Manager the BASE and ALL extensions listed say they are for OS 8.6. Earlier I told you that I'm on 7.6 which is what I see when I go to "About This Mac."
ChrisClassic
Student Driver

Post by ChrisClassic »

guess what?! I got it to work!! After I changed the extensions to the 8.6 base, I re-imported SoundEdit II from the file I had on my OSX hard drive (not from the CD as I had been doing) and the program launched and is playing an audio file as we speak!

I'll continue to tinker with it to see how the other features work but all looks good so far!

Thanks for your help and for a great emulator! I've missed being able to use SoundEdit and now it looks like I won't have to anymore!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

This thread makes me think:

Has anyone thought of updating Gwenole's site with the newer version?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I can edit Gwenole's site, but only the help section. I could leave a reminder there.

Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Oh, that's too bad.

We could send him an e-mail, but I wouldn't want to bother him...
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

ClockWise wrote:Has anyone thought of updating Gwenole's site with the newer version?
It has not happened with any of the later builds. People looking for SheepShaver will often find Gwenole's site. There they will only find the latest "official" releases, the May 2006 2.3 snapshot and the old GUI application. None of the improvements and fixes in SheepShaver since 2006 can be found there (performance on Intel, file corruption using Unix Root extfs, cursor display and position, modifier keys and mouse button mappings, preferences editor, full screen, "Cannot map RAM" problem and 512MB limitation, and probably more that I do not remember just now).

Even some of those who post in this forum, apparently are not aware of the existence of newer builds until we tell them.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Problem is that Gwenole has "suspended" development of SheepShaver and BasiliskII, but no one has taken over his role as leading developer for this project.

Both http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/ and http://basilisk.cebix.net/ still refer to Gwenole's site for the "current snapshots and prebuilt binaries for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows"
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

That's what I mean. Maybe if someone suggested to Gwenole that he replace the snapshot on his site with a build from this forum, people would have a better time with the emulator.

Maybe Gwenole himself doesn't know about the new builds...
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Could very well be. The BasiliskII and SheepShaver pages on Gwenole's site stopped being updated when he stopped working on BasiliskII and SheepShaver. I remember that we (Cat_7 and I) tried to contact him on several occasions a couple of years ago, but he simply did not react to our emails. We stopped trying.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Oh, that's too bad. I guess he's busy with work at Mandriva or whatever he's doing now.

When you guys have "finished" working with the July SheepShaver build, I'll write an e-mail.

Worth a try.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

It is time it would get a new version number and it should (again) be bundled as a proper release with files like a ReadMe, description of the changes since the last version, the GNU general public license, a manual, helpful scripts, and SheepShaverPrefs (replaces SheepShaverGUI).

Up to the May 2006 2.3 snapshot, versions for the three platforms (Windows, Linux, and MacOSX) were published simultaneously with the same version number. I wonder if this can be maintained.

Edit: Who decides about version numbers?