Changes under Snow Leopard?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Spiff
Space Cadet

Changes under Snow Leopard?

Post by Spiff »

I need SheepShaver to run an OS 9 application starting in September. I currently use a MacBook Pro and I plan to upgrade to OS 10.6 when it becomes available. Should I wait until then to install and configure SheepShaver?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Configuration will not be different, the settings and all additional files (like disk images and ROM file) will be the same. So you can install and configure SheepShaver now.

However, we do not know yet if the SheepShaver application itself will run in Snow Leopard. Depending on how important SheepShaver is for you, you may want to wait with upgrading to Snow Leopard until you are certain SheepShaver will run in Snow Leopard.
holbie
Space Cadet

Post by holbie »

Not that I would know… 8)

Things seem to be working in under build 10A411.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

:P
Kewl
Space Cadet

Post by Kewl »

I'm running OS 10.6 10A421a on a MacBook Pro with SheepShaver UB 2009-07-26 with OS 9.0.4 installed from my Power Mac G4. I use the ROM from the "MacOS.sheepvm" because the other ROMs I tried didn't work. It mostly works: I had a couple of good runs, but sometimes SheepShaver quits when the OS is fully booted (desktop showing and all) after one second or two. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with 10.6: I probably just have to find the right SheepShaver preferences.

Screen Grab

- Kewl
Last edited by Kewl on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Thanks for the info. But please make the image smaller in dimensions or just link to it without showing it in your message. The large image stretches the topic horizontally, causing a horizontal scrollbar and thus making the messages difficult to read.
Kewl
Space Cadet

Post by Kewl »

Continuing with the experimentation, I ran two SheepShaver VMs at the same time to more fully tap the MacBook Pro CPU potential and also tried it with Snow Leopard 64 bit kernel: everything works!

Screen grab

- Kewl
Kewl
Space Cadet

Post by Kewl »

Works with 10A432.

- Kewl
somniferous
Tinkerer

Post by somniferous »

How does one know what ROM is being used. I have SS running on my MacBook Pro and use it nearly every day for work. I am not at all sure of the upgrade to Leopard. I got all my SS files in one bundle but I did take a number of ROM from other locations.

For Snow Leopard I want to be certain to use the one that works the best. I have been trying to understand why I want to dl the new SS build. Is it for Snow Leopard? Does it fix the "try and find it" cursor?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

If a ROM file works with SheepShaver and the installed MacOS system, it is OK, there is no need to replace it. That does not change with Snow Leopard.
"try and find it" cursor
What do you mean with that? Do you still use the May 2006 snapshot from Gwenole Beauchesne's site? Many bugs have been solved in the past years, also the cursor problems. I do not know which "new SS build" you are referring to. From earlier postings I got the impression that you are using the July 21, 2008 build, which should still be fine, especially the "H" version. If you use an older version, you can replace it with a newer one, like this one:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5567
Or the one posted here, which contains the latest changes:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 0713#30713

So far, the existing SheepShaver builds have been reported to run in Snow Leopard, so there should not be a reason to update SheepShaver for Snow Leopard. But we can not be 100% certain it will run OK on the release version until it is available and SheepShaver can be tested on it.
temperedreason
Student Driver

Snow Leopard Issues

Post by temperedreason »

I have noticed some changes in performance under Snow Leopard.

Months ago, I could emulation Pegasus Prime beautifully. Now, it seems SheepShaver is locking up, and aborting frequently. 90% of the time when I launch this game, it crashes Sheepshaver. Before, never an issue.

So its either a problem with a recent update to Sheepshaver, or problems with performance running under Snow Leopard (Build 432a)

Brandon :(
Myrd
Granny Smith

Post by Myrd »

Can you try older builds of SheepShaver to figure out if it's indeed changes to SheepShaver that are causing this?