Video issue

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

xeper
Student Driver

Video issue

Post by xeper »

I'm running the fullscreen build of SS w/ OS 9.0.4 on an Intel MacBook under Leopard. I'm playing "Mummy: Tomb of the Pharaoh" off the original game disc in SheepShaver, because Disk Utility won't let me make an image of it for some reason (says the image is corrupt even though the CD's in perfect condition and it's authentic). The Quicktime video clips integrated into the game don't work, I hear the sound but they appear as big white squares. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? It's possible it's just a system 9 compatibility issue, but figured I'd ask in case it's not. (The game crashes shortly after launching in Basilisk, so unfortunately I can't compare performance further.) Let me know if anyone has any ideas!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

QuickTime has some issues in the emulated Mac. What version of QuickTime are you using?

There is an informative thread over here:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =quicktime

Which might help you solve your problem.
xeper
Student Driver

Post by xeper »

I'm using QT 4.1.2 currently. I'll try other versions mentioned and see if there's any luck. Thanks for the quick reply!
xeper
Student Driver

Post by xeper »

Different versions of QT don't seem to help any! Very odd...could it have to do with SS trying to read off of a CD?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Don't know what to say here. :(

Someone who has more experience with the OS X version of the emulator might have to chime in...
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. What kind of disk image (which format) did you select for making a disk image?
2. Which are the system requirements for the game?
3. Do you run SheepShaver full-screen? Performance in window mode is better than in full-screen mode.
4. Which are your SheepShaver settings for JIT Compiler and Refresh Rate?
5. Note that you cannot downgrade QuickTime by installing an earlier version. All files belonging to a later version must be removed first.
xeper
Student Driver

Post by xeper »

1. The only disk image I could successfully make of the Mummy CD was a CD/DVD master .cdr file which I know doesn't work in SS. I unsuccessfully tried to make .dmg read-only files (I tried extended and compressed) with Disk Utility, but both times said the disk was corrupt, so I've just been using the installation and inserting the CD as required. The errors are odd because I just opened the game from shrinkwrap, but it's obviously been sitting on a shelf for many years so perhaps something is wrong with the disc. (It looks spotless though.)
2. System requirements, directly from the insert: Any 256-color Macintosh with 5120K free memory, 22MB free hard disk space, a 13" or larger monitor, a double-speed (or faster) and System 7.1 or later. Minimum 68030 but 68040 or PowerPC recommended. Video display of "Thousands of Colors" recommended. Accelerated for Power Macintosh.
3. I tried running it in both fullscreen and window mode, I'm currently in window mode. I configured SS to use a 1GB hard drive with 512MB of RAM for OS9.0.4.
4. The refresh rate is set to 60 Hz which is the highest option available in my Prefs editor, and JIT Compiler is enabled.
5. I remember the quirks of downgrading Quicktime, and deleted all superfluous files (Sound Manager, etc).
Any ideas? I'm stumped! I'm waiting for another Macplay abandonware game in the mail though, when it comes it'll be interesting to see if the same errors occur since they're VERY similar games.

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:1. What kind of disk image (which format) did you select for making a disk image?
2. Which are the system requirements for the game?
3. Do you run SheepShaver full-screen? Performance in window mode is better than in full-screen mode.
4. Which are your SheepShaver settings for JIT Compiler and Refresh Rate?
5. Note that you cannot downgrade QuickTime by installing an earlier version. All files belonging to a later version must be removed first.
boyanml
Inquisitive Elf

Re: Video issue

Post by boyanml »

xeper wrote:...because Disk Utility won't let me make an image of it for some reason (says the image is corrupt even though the CD's in perfect condition and it's authentic).
Souds like copy protection issue.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Possibly indeed some sort of copy protection scheme at work.
(BTW: For use with SheepShaver best create read/write .dmg images. To make applications see the volume as a read-only CD, lock the image file in the Finder. SheepShaver cannot read compressed image files or read-only .dmg image files.)
xeper wrote:so I've just been using the installation and inserting the CD as required.
Exactly what do you mean with "using the installation" and "inserting the CD as required"?
When you want to use a CD-ROM in SheepShaver, you usually need to mount the CD in MacOSX before launching SheepShaver.
The errors are odd because I just opened the game from shrinkwrap
ShrinkWrap? Do you have a ShrinkWrap image of the disk?
Video display of "Thousands of Colors" recommended.
Did you try to set colors to "Thousands" in Monitors control panel?
The refresh rate is set to 60 Hz which is the highest option available in my Prefs editor
The SheepShaver build you are using has a built-in prefs editor (preferences) that will allow setting the Refresh Rate to "Dynamic", but that will probably not make much difference, if any. (Note that changed settings will not effect until after SheepShaver is quit and launched again.)