New Feature: Self-contained .sheepvm bundles

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: New Feature: Self-contained .sheepvm bundles

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

These are early instructions from the developmental stage of the feature. Better use the instructions in our setup guide:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... l_machines
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Thank you for your prompt response.

What I am trying to determine:

1. Can one specify a prefs and nvram file on the command line so that the hidden files in the $HOME folder are not used?
2. Whether the virtual machine mechanism does or does not use the 2 files in the $HOME folder, and if NOT, how is that achieved?

I am writing yet-another-frontend and find it very annoying that alternative prefs and nvram files can't be obviously specified. I have got a working workaround, but it relies on a really dirty hack.

Thanks again

Peter
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Have a look at the SheepShaverLauncher application, it does what you are looking for. With it you can create (or import), configure, and launch multiple VMs from one single interface. The Launcher itself will create VMs as folders, each with its own prefs and nvram files, but it will also accept import of existing .sheepvm packages.

SheepShaverLauncher was created by the user who is known here as "Myrd". The latest build was created three years ago by the user who is known here as "vasi". The download can be found on vasi's DropBox. If you go the sticky topic with SheepShaver builds, you will find a link under "Self contained SheepShaver virtual machines" that leads to a post by vasi mentioning various BasiliskII and SheepShaver builds. The link there leads to his DropBox.
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

Thank you for your patience and your detailed response - I'll follow your advice.

And thank you for the incredible effort you put into answering and helping people on this forum and site. I don't know how you do it! :smile:
EnchDS
Space Cadet

Post by EnchDS »

So, I was running the SheepShaverLauncher programme, and everything was well until I replaced

Code: Select all

/path/to/SheepShaverLauncher_b?.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver
with the newest version, and now I get:

Code: Select all

dyld: Library not loaded: @rpath/SDL2.framework/Versions/A/SDL2
  Referenced from: /path/to/SheepShaverLauncher_b1.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver
  Reason: image not found
The reason I have the log readily available is because I'm running through the Terminal, because unidentified devs, ...
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

1. I have absolutely no idea what you did or what you are trying to do.

2. You replaced what with the newest version of what? Did you modify the Launcher application? You should not do that.

3. No need to use Terminal to run an application because of the 'unidentified developer' message. Simply right-click (or control-click) the application icon and choose "Open" from the contextual menu. After you have done that once, you can launch the application normally by double-clicking the icon.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason:  
Kmudle
Space Cadet

Post by Kmudle »

Hello all,

Is this feature still in development/supported on the most recent version of SheepShaver for MacOSX? When I attempted to create a .sheepvm bundle it was not recognized on my machine.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The feature is still fully supported. I used it for years and I still use it with the latest build in macOS 13.2.1 (Ventura) on my M1 iMac..

Did you follow our setup guide and did you make sure all needed files are available?
Do you use a compatible rom file that was renamed Mac OS ROM as described in the setup guide?

I notice that you name the host system with the old name "Mac OS X". Which version is your host system and which SheepShaver build do you use? (Note that builds are identified by the build date, not the version number.)