Can't access Internet

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

GarryB
Space Cadet

Can't access Internet

Post by GarryB »

I have Sheepshaver working on a Mac Studio M1 Max 24c running macOS 13.1. It's fast and mostly stable.

I can't get any web sites to load in IE5 or Netscape 7. My TCP/IP settings are:

Connect via: Ethernet
Configure: Using DHCP Server
DHCP Client ID: <is blank>
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
Router address: 169.254.28.171
Name server addr.: 239.255.255.251

I've tried manually entering connection details but none I've tried works. I don't understand most of those things but, the subnet mask and router address look very wrong - yet that is what comes up with the "Using DHCP Server" setting. For example, the subnet mask on my Mac is 255.255.255.0

I am trying to get to https://www.apple.com. I've also tried http://spidernet.nl. All I get is "The attempt to load Accessing URL:http://spidernet.nl' failed.".

UPDATE: OK, I found that the "Ethernet interface" setting was blank. So, I entered slirp and rebooted. Now I have these TCP/IP settings

Connect via: Ethernet
Configure: Using DHCP Server
DHCP Client ID: <is blank>
IP Address: 10.0.2.15
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router address: 10.0.2.2
Name server addr.: 10.0.2.3

At least the subnet mask looks right. But result in IE5 is worse. I get: "Security failure. The server reply is invalid."

UPDATE 2: I am running LittleSnitch. LS was showing Sheepshaver is not trying to access the internet. I manually added a new rule allowing Sheepshaver any outgoing connection. That did not help. I'm still getting the "Security failure. The server reply is invalid." error.

UPDATE 3: I restarted Netscape and now, Internet access is working ! Opened IE5 and it works too. I don't get most of this - I didn't change anything !

So, can someone explain ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Can't access Internet

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. TCP/IP was at first messed up by trying to connect without using "slirp".

2. Most modern website cannot be used with the old browsers and will produce errors.
GarryB
Space Cadet

Post by GarryB »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:46 am TCP/IP was at first messed up by trying to connect without using "slirp".
Yes, that was the problem. I added slirp and the IP addresses all updated to what they should be.

Many thanks.
paulbraun154
Space Cadet

Post by paulbraun154 »

I've used PowerPC Macs before in the period 2012 to 2016 so I know a bit about them. I set up Sheepshaver in the early hours of 25-02-2023. Frustrated that I couldn't get online using either Internet Explorer or Netscape Communicator. Asked for a lot of information about settings for my Internet connection including email settings.

After a good nights sleep I remembered the browser Classilla which I used to use on these old Macs. I soon installed it and then found I was able to visit most websites.

I took lots of pictures of Classilla displaying various websites on my iPhone, but I don't know how to insert any of them into this post!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You can get online with these old browsers but they cannot access the vast majority of modern websites. Only a few more modern browsers, like Classilla, can run in classic MacOS on old (emulated) hardware. No need to post images. We know that Classilla still works with most websites.

(An image can be inserted in a post by uploading it to a place on the internet and then publish the url to the image file (not the url to the page where it is shown but the url to the file itself) using BBCode like this:

Code: Select all

[img]https://internet-path-to-image.jpg[/img]
Or you can simply just write the address so readers can click the link to view the image.)
paulbraun154
Space Cadet

Post by paulbraun154 »

Unfortunately, since my last post, I've started having problems with Classilla! It now keeps giving the error message "Classilla and (website name) cannot communicate securely because they have no common encryption algorithms". the website https://macintoshgarden.org/ is working now, but I can't access macintoshrepository.org

Of course, I can just download software in macOS Monterey, then transfer it into the OS9 Sheepshaver installation.

As for posting pics, I had thee pics in Apple Photos, then I downloaded them onto my macOS Monterey installation. I thought I could just upload them from there, but obviously not.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying building a house in The Sims. I've hardly ever played The Sims 2 because I didn't like it. I've never played The Sims 3. In The Sims 4, I've never completed building a house.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Make sure you enter only "macintoshrepository.org" in the address field.
I can access macintoshrepository.org with Classilla in MacOS 9.0.4 in SheepShaver.

At the top of the first page I am welcomed with this message:
Wow! You're actually browsing this website using an old Mac!

Macintosh Repository salutes you!
SSL has been deactivated for you.
Apparently the (modern) secure connection was disabled to allow me connect with an insecure connection.