CDROM for SheepShaver on Ubuntu/Linux

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

mathieudel
Inquisitive Elf

CDROM for SheepShaver on Ubuntu/Linux

Post by mathieudel »

Hi all !

I'm trying to launch a recent version of SheepShaver from my Ubuntu system and, indeed, it works.
As stated in SheepShaver's online documentation, I've grabbed what I hope is the latest source code from CVS :

Code: Select all

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.cebix.net:/home/cvs/cebix checkout BasiliskII
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.cebix.net:/home/cvs/cebix checkout SheepShaver
Then I built it adding an

#include <limits.h>
since GCC 4.3.0 complains about INT_MAX not being defined in one of the file.

I have to launch SheepShaver with sudo because of what is to me an obscure 'Cannot map Low memory Globals' problem, anyway that works ....
Except that I'm unable to make my installation CD iso file being detected. I've mounted it using :

sudo mount -o loop -t hfs /media/disk/ISOs/MacOs_9.0.4.iso /media/cdrom/
That allows me to see it as a CDRom (mounted at /media/cdrom0/) from the file explorer and even to browse its content, but still SheepShaver won't detect it, letting my brand new emulated Mac blink its floppy icon at startup time. :cry:

Any idea on how to go arround this without having to burn a CDRom ? (Yes, I could install MacOS from a Windows version of SheepShaver and then go back to linux, but i suspect it won't allow me to use all my cd softwares anyway...)[/code]

Edit : I've tried to mount CDRom's file system under /dev/cdrom but it does not work either.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You don't need to mount anything. Just use the GUI to select the iso as first volume in the list and SheepShaver will boot from it. You might have to make the .iso read-only, otherwise MacOS thinks you copied the installation medium to a hard disk.

and this will fix your "cannot map low memory globals" : http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-802457.html

Best,
Cat_7
mathieudel
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mathieudel »

Just use the GUI to [...]. You might have to make the .iso read-only [...].
I tried this solution and it didn't work because I dind't tought about making the iso read-only.
Once done, indeed, it works great !
and this will fix your "cannot map low memory globals" : http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-802457.html
It worked too.

Thanks !
mathieudel
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mathieudel »

Actualy, it 'somewhat' works :'( ...

The system is booting properly from the installation CD, but once in the finder, it keeps asking me if I want to erase or eject a 4K disk that seems to be unreadble ...

I've tried to accept a dozen of time with no success, either by ejecting or erasing.

Any (other) idea ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Can that 4K 'disk' be a file that is present in the volumes list in the GUI? Use the GUI to create a volume (disk image file) that you will install the MacOS system onto and make sure only the iso file and that new volume are in the list. The Finder will ask to initialize the new volume.
mathieudel
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mathieudel »

I only have selected the iso image of the installation CD and a disk image I have been using for years now.

I'm just switching from Win32 to Linux, and lost my startup disk image in the process.

And I know this image is working and properly mounted has I can see the icons I left on the desktop when I boot from the CD image... I just can't do anything because of the mysterious 4k disk message.

Moreover, I know the CD image works since I already used it to install my previous emulated Mac and even a real one. Or... may my first attempt at booting from it without the readonly flags have corrupted the file ?
mschmitt
Tinkerer

Re: CDROM for SheepShaver on Ubuntu/Linux

Post by mschmitt »

mathieudel wrote:I have to launch SheepShaver with sudo because of what is to me an obscure 'Cannot map Low memory Globals' problem, anyway that works ....
The reason for the "Cannot map Low memory Globals" error is that SheepShaver needs to allocate memory at address 0. This is blocked in Ubuntu for security reasons: there is an attack that depends on putting code at address 0 and then getting the machine to execute it by exploiting a null pointer.

Unfortunately, when they changed this it broke applications, and not just SheepShaver.

As a temporary workaround, you can enter:

sudo sysctl -w vm.mmap_min_addr=0
The permanent fix depends on your version of Ubuntu.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Re: CDROM for SheepShaver on Ubuntu/Linux

Post by Mac Emu »

mathieudel wrote:Then I built it adding an

#include <limits.h>
since GCC 4.3.0 complains about INT_MAX not being defined in one of the file.
Hi mathieudel. I had the same problem last night when building Basilisk II. Which file did you add the include statement in? Thanks!

Edit: Ah, the sys_unix.cpp file. :P
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

mathieudel wrote:And I know this image is working and properly mounted has I can see the icons I left on the desktop when I boot from the CD image... I just can't do anything because of the mysterious 4k disk message.
Strange. You can boot from the CD image, but after dismissing the 4k message ('ejecting' the unwanted what-ever-it-is volume) you "can't do anything"? What do you mean with that? You cannot start the system installer?
Moreover, I know the CD image works since I already used it to install my previous emulated Mac and even a real one. Or... may my first attempt at booting from it without the readonly flags have corrupted the file ?
I myself sometimes accidently mount a CD image in the emulator unlocked. It never caused problems later. I do not know what mounting the image and browsing its content in the file explorer in Ubuntu could have done. Don't you have a untouched copy of the iso file?
mathieudel
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mathieudel »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:you "can't do anything"? What do you mean with that? You cannot start the system installer?
I can't do anything because the message keeps appearing instantly again and again when I click any of the two buttons.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I myself sometimes accidently mount a CD image in the emulator unlocked. It never caused problems later.
Even if the 'unlocked' CD image is the system disk your booting from ?
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I do not know what mounting the image and browsing its content in the file explorer in Ubuntu could have done.
I don't know either.. and hope it changed nothing.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Don't you have a untouched copy of the iso file?
Unfortunately, I'm quite lasy when it comes to backuping data :'(. I don't have to much space in my hard drive, and usually try to not spent to much money on hardware :p (Or I would have bought one of those 50$ old mac that can be found on eBay ;) ) !
And I even don't have the original CD anymore. Actually, I was using an English ISO of the system because à lost my French original CD.
mathieudel
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mathieudel »

Ok, problem solved ... but I don't know how ... :?
Still using the same ISO image, still using the same ROM file, still using the same hard-disk image, I finally worked 8O

The only thing that I've done is to move some files...
My rom file and hard disk image where on a NTFS partition and it was annoying me to mount this partition each time I wanted to try something, so I put them on my user directory under linux.
Apart from that ... well ... nothing ... or at least nothing I can remember of !

Anyway, thanks for your help !

Edit : Ho ! and I finally decided to break my rule and bought a real PowerPC on eBay. The only 'problem' being that it's the last PowerMacintosh that as been build, so, if I'm not wrong, it won't even support classic :(.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

mathieudel wrote:The only 'problem' being that it's the last PowerMacintosh that as been build, so, if I'm not wrong, it won't even support classic :(.
It will probably not startup in MacOS9, but a PPC machine can run the Classic environment within MacOSX if the installed MacOSX version is not later than 10.4.x (Tiger). In the Classic environment (running MacOS 9.2.2) you can run any application that will run in MacOS9 seamlessly within MacOSX. The Classic environment in MacOSX beats anything SheepShaver can do regarding performance, stability and compatibility.
mathieudel
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mathieudel »

Yes but I was talking about booting from OS9, the only way to play some of my good old games that are known not to boot under OSX.
Furthermore, would like to develop softwares for Leopard, which as no support for classic... I'm stucked with SheepShaver to emulate a PPC mac inside a PPC mac :(
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

But it does that a near native speed :lol: No emulation needed.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

mathieudel wrote:Yes but I was talking about booting from OS9, the only way to play some of my good old games that are known not to boot under OSX.
Games that can run in MacOS9 and that do not run in the Classic environment (= MacOS9) in MacOSX?
mathieudel
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mathieudel »

Cat_7 wrote:But it does that a near native speed :lol: No emulation needed.

Best,
Cat_7
Yes, but SheepShaver won't do 3D acceleration ... Any plan for this awesome feature ??? :mrgreen: ... naaa, just kidding !
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
mathieudel wrote:Yes but I was talking about booting from OS9, the only way to play some of my good old games that are known not to boot under OSX.
Games that can run in MacOS9 and that do not run in the Classic environment (= MacOS9) in MacOSX?
- Any game that uses 3DFx
- Falcon 4.0
- F/A-18 Korea
- Bugdom
- Some old sharewares (I don't remember exactly, last time I tried was when classic appeared)

Actually, a lot of games that tries to directly access the frame buffer in some fancy way (for performance reasons I guess), or enter full screen, or use a 3D card has a lot more chances to fail.

A game compatibility list would be a great idea... I will check if I can find something about this.
Myrd
Granny Smith

Post by Myrd »

mathieudel wrote:A game compatibility list would be a great idea... I will check if I can find something about this.
That would be great. Should also have a way for the user to specify which Mac OS version + SheepShaver version + host OS it was tested on.
Thomas J. Rostafinski
Student Driver

Post by Thomas J. Rostafinski »

A game compatibility list would be a great idea.
That would be great. Should also have a way for the user to specify which Mac OS version + SheepShaver version + host OS it was tested on.
How about a compatibility list of all software that has been tried or used with SS, not just games?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

mathieudel
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mathieudel »

Wow !