AppleTalking

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

UKenGB
Space Cadet

AppleTalking

Post by UKenGB »

I specifically installed SS in order to be able to use AppleTalk, yet it doesn't seem to work and I have read some stuff about additional work being required to get it to run. Is this so? I don't need TCP/IP at all for this, I just need to run the Apple Printer Utility to communicate with my printer over AppleTalk.

Am I wasting my time here?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The only way to get appletalk to work is by following our guide. That guide only describes using appletalk in OSX, and even then succes is not guaranteed. Using appletalk on other platforms hasn't been documented (yet?).

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/app ... heepshaver

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You do not mention on which host system (MacOSX, Windows, Linux) you run SheepShaver. AppleTalk will probably not work, but if your printer is a PostScript printer that is connected to your network, you can setup a LPR desktop printer in Desktop Printer Utility and print to the printer's IP-address.
See: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 7884#27884
UKenGB
Space Cadet

Post by UKenGB »

I've installed SS on an OSX machine. The reason for trying it is because Apple has silently dropped AppleTalk in Snow Leopard and while I can print to the LaserWriter using LPD, there are some features of the printer that can only be controlled using the Apple Printer Utility or LaserWriter Utility from MacOS Classic or Windows respectively and at least the former (I think both) require AppleTalk.

The steps outlined to get AppleTalk working are not trivial and need to be done every time as far as I understand and that's not practical. I must admit, I assumed SS would simply mean a working AppleTalk device. Isn't there an easier method?

Less important as I don't currently need it, but I think I may also have a problem with IP networking since my network uses the same subnet as that setup by SS. Is it possible to change the network parameters to avoid this?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

If your network does indeed use 10.0.2.x, like slirp networking does, that will probably cause problems. My local network uses 10.0.1.x, which is no problem.

I suppose you can fetch the source code, change the value somewhere in the source, and compile your own SheepShaver application from the edited code.

Setting up your network with different addresses may be easier to do.
UKenGB
Space Cadet

Post by UKenGB »

I use the whole 10.0.0.0 with subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 which kindof encompasses what slirp is using. Is there a simple way to change this (i.e. slirp, not my network setup)?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

UKenGB wrote:I use the whole 10.0.0.0 with subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 which kindof encompasses what slirp is using. Is there a simple way to change this (i.e. slirp, not my network setup)?
The numbers are hard-coded and there is no simple way to change it in the application. As I wrote above: "you can fetch the source code, change the value somewhere in the source, and compile your own SheepShaver application from the edited code.

I can tell you how to build the application. Maybe someone with more detailed knowledge of the source code can tell where you can find the values that slirp uses. It will probably be somewhere in the BasiliskII source. (SheepShaver shares much of its code with BasiliskII.)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

It's actually fairly easy to build a version with another slirp IP address range.

This is the content of BasiliskII/src/slirp/ctl.h

#define CTL_CMD 0
#define CTL_EXEC 1
#define CTL_ALIAS 2
#define CTL_DNS 3

#define CTL_SPECIAL "10.0.2.0"
#define CTL_LOCAL "10.0.2.15"

Change that to:

#define CTL_CMD 0
#define CTL_EXEC 1
#define CTL_ALIAS 2
#define CTL_DNS 3

#define CTL_SPECIAL "192.168.2.0"
#define CTL_LOCAL "192.168.2.15"

and re-compile. BasiliskII and SheepShaver will then use that IP-range.
But that change alone will not give you appletalk.

Best,
Cat_7
UKenGB
Space Cadet

Post by UKenGB »

Thanks for the help guys, but in the end SS is not going to do what I need, but I'll be keeping it on my Mac for the future just in case:-)

However, regarding the slirp IP addressing, as there's no range that you can use and guarantee it won't clash with the 'external' network this should be part of SheepShaver's configuration/preferences. Or perhaps better would be to let the user change the values in the TCP/IP Control Panel. Either way, it really ought to be configurable by the user rather than require a special compile.

It also occurs to me that with no more AppleTalk in OSX, SheepShaver would be THE perfect solution - if it could actually support AppleTalk itself. It is an interesting product but with easily configurable TCP/IP and AppleTalk it would be awesome.