Office 98 on SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

dkretschmer
Inquisitive Elf

Office 98 on SheepShaver

Post by dkretschmer »

I have to open a few old MS Word files and need Word 98 for this.
I installed SheepShaver 21072008 using the ROM from ROM Update 1.0. I installed Mac OS 8.5 and updated to 8.6.
I tried a couple of small old apps and they work fine.

I installed Office 98 but none of the apps will start. All I get is a message: The application could not be started because of an error. End of message. Nothing showing in the Console.

Anybody had any luck with Office? Any ideas?
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Re: Office 98 on SheepShaver

Post by yksoft1 »

dkretschmer wrote:I have to open a few old MS Word files and need Word 98 for this.
I installed SheepShaver 21072008 using the ROM from ROM Update 1.0. I installed Mac OS 8.5 and updated to 8.6.
I tried a couple of small old apps and they work fine.

I installed Office 98 but none of the apps will start. All I get is a message: The application could not be started because of an error. End of message. Nothing showing in the Console.

Anybody had any luck with Office? Any ideas?
In my experiences Word 98 and Excel 98 never worked in SheepShaver . PowerPoint may work but may crash frequently and will crash the entire SheepShaver environment on exit.

All Office2001 applications runs in SheepShaver, however after you managed run any Office2001 application in SS, trying to run another Office2001 application in the same SS session will make SheepShaver crash.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

It might look like a silly suggestion, but you could try to install the Mac Japanese language pack and try office again.

Cat_7
dkretschmer
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dkretschmer »

I wouldn't mind to try anything, however, I am unable to find it. Searching for anything not recent on the Apple site is beyond me.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

take a look at http://www.nisus.com/NisusWriter/Suppor ... itsOS9.php

It shows the steps to install the pack. I don't know if they are included in ant install cd.

Cat_7
dkretschmer
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dkretschmer »

I managed. I found the language kit on a G4 install disk, but only for OS9, so I had to convince the setup first that I have a G4 instead of a 9500 and install OS9. It worked but didn't help. Office 98 installed, did a first run but that's it. Still coming up with the same message.
umax
Inquisitive Elf

Post by umax »

i have different sheepshavers on different windows-machines.
Mac OS 9.01 and 7.61.
ofiice 98 runs very stable - now.
but it did so only after removing some extensions from the system.

one example:on both systems the extension "Shared Library Manager" caused office 98 to hang. this is very strange and i never experienced this on a real mac.

maybe you should "play" with your extensions to find out which ones are disturbing...
dkretschmer
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dkretschmer »

I tried - no fun
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

I built a minimum OS9 System Folder with almost no extensions and Office 98 (all components) will run, however it is not very stable.

http://cid-66b9967ec9d22dd4.skydrive.li ... lic/m98.7z