Rom for Mac OS 9

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

julienbarrat
Space Cadet

Rom for Mac OS 9

Post by julienbarrat »

Hi, I tried to run SheepShaver for Mac OS9, but I wonder how to get a rom from it? I have the cd, and I tried to copy it in the Sheepshaver folder, but it seems I need to have a mac running under OS9 (or any classic system) to get the rom with TomeViewer. The problem is that I have Tiger, and I don't have any more PPC...I tried to extract it with Pacifist as well, but the application just crashes when I try it. Couldn't I find the rom on internet?

I downloaded a file called Mac_OS_ROM_Update_1.0.smi.bin, but I have this error message under SheepShaver : "Invalid ROM file size. SheepShaver requires a 4MB PCI PowerMac ROM."

What can I do?

Thank you for your help.
julien.
julienbarrat
Space Cadet

Post by julienbarrat »

Hi again, sorry for the useless post, I succeed to solve my problem thanks a previous message on this forum (which I didn't browse, I must admit :oops: ) that gives this link : http://www.redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver-tutorial/

Unfortunately I fail now to create the virtual hard drive...following the different tutorials I found, nothing seems to work... :?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

How do you fail to create the hard disk image? Where do you think you go wrong?

When you start SheepShaver, under the SheepShaver menu in OSX, you'll find the preferences editor, called Preferences. It shows a list of volumes available. If there are none in the list, you click "create". Give the volume a name (like MacOS9HD.dmg). Select where it should be created (best to do that in the SheepShaver folder) and select a size for the volume. (500Mb would be sufficient at first). Click Save.

The volume gets created and will be listed under the Volumes tab in the Preferences editor.

Next you need to insert your Mac OS 9 CD and restart SheepShaver to boot from the CD and install Mac on your volume.

Our guide is here: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup

Best,
Cat_7
julienbarrat
Space Cadet

Post by julienbarrat »

Hi, thank you for your answer. Honestly, I don't know where I go wrong, because when I click on "Create" (like I saw more or less everywhere on internet), and I choose the SheepShaver folder (choosing the size of the virtual HD as well), nothing happens and nothing appears on the list. When I make "Add", choosing this folder again, then it appears in the list but it doesn't work better unfortunately...Any idea?

Thank you again for your answer.
julien.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You found the redundantrobot site. To get you going, there is disk image there that contains a basic Mac OS system (MacOS9bootimage). Download it to your SheepShaver folder.
Start SheepShaver and add it to the volumes list. Quit SheepShaver and start it again.

Best,

Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

julienbarrat wrote:Honestly, I don't know where I go wrong, because when I click on "Create" (like I saw more or less everywhere on internet), and I choose the SheepShaver folder (choosing the size of the virtual HD as well), nothing happens and nothing appears on the list.
Maybe you do not wait long enough for the image file to be created? It may take some time, especially for large image files.
julienbarrat
Space Cadet

Post by julienbarrat »

Hi again, I followed your instructions and put the OS9.img in my SheepShaver folder. It is efficiently recognized as a hard drive under the installation cd of OS9, but it is too small to perform an installation. But it seems to me (tell me if I'm wrong) that there's already a system installed on this image? So I tried to boot on it without the cd, and a message appears telling me to deactivate the extensions by pushing shift on the start. I tried and saw the logo Mac OS9 with written under "Extensions deactivate" but the same message appears.

I'm really sorry to not be able to manage by myself, I feel I'm close of making it work, but it's still wrong...Did I do something wrong?

Thank you for your help.
julien.
julienbarrat
Space Cadet

Post by julienbarrat »

Oooooh I solved my problem, that was a really stupid one! I didn't realise I had to put a name to the file when I create the virtual hard drive :oops: Now it works fine, I installed Mac OS9 on it and runs without many troubles. First I had no sound, but that was because I was using the Old World ROM, and now it quite works with the New World one...

Only one problem left...I did all this to be able to play to my old Riven game, but it runs very slowly, in a very disjointed manner. I have a mac mini from 2006, with a processor Intel Core Duo, 512 Mb RAM, 60 Go hard drive and an integrated graphic card. I tried to allow until 300 Mb RAM to SheepShaver, but it changed nothing, the problem seems to come from somewhere else, and maybe it's the Riven itself that brings problem with an emulator...Any idea to make it work better?

Thank you for your answers, and sorry for the time you spent trying to solve my first stupid trouble.
julien.
james442
Space Cadet

Re: Rom for Mac OS 9

Post by james442 »

I downloaded a file called Mac_OS_ROM_Update_1.0.smi.bin, but I have this error message under SheepShaver : "Invalid ROM file size. SheepShaver requires a 4MB PCI PowerMac ROM."
James
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The file is a .bin archive that, after unpacking in a Mac environment, contains a .smi file (self-mounting disk image application) that needs to be launched in a working MacOS environment to mount the image to get the rom updater from the mounted volume. The actual ROM file can than be extracted from the updater with the TomeViewer application.

Better download that same new world rom, ready to be used, from the Redundant Robot site.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
Champion1
Space Cadet

Post by Champion1 »

The problem is that I have Tiger, and I don't have any more PPC...I tried to extract it with Pacifist as well, but the application just crashes when I try it.?????
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

This cannot be done by Pacifist. The rom file needs to extracted with TomeViewer in a classic MacOS (up to MacOS 9.x) environment.

You can download the extracted file from the Redundant Robot website. The new world rom file there is the same file.