SheepShaver UB build for Mac OS X 25-10-2009 available

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Pombar
Space Cadet

Post by Pombar »

Ah, the problem was that I had not locked the image, as specified in the manual. The system now successfully boots.

I am at a loss as to what the manual means by "Proceed with the system installation", however, as when I double-click to open the OS9 disk, it contains the folders "System Folder", ".fseventsd" and ".Trashes", none of which contain a clearly signposted installer. Through other tutorials and screenshots of the process it looks like there needs to be a number of separate Install Disk images with which you complete the installation at this stage.
Have I confused this necessary-to-startup disk image with the ones necessary to 'proceed with the installation'?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

OK, so you are not using a actual install CD, but a disk image instead. I suppose you now got past the initialization of the image you created in the setup?

Where did you get that system disk image? It seems not to be a disk image created from a install CD. On a install CD you would see the installer icon right in the middle of the open disk window.

I do not know where you saw the screenshots with a number of install disk images, you will not see that with a MacOS9 installation. Maybe it was in a tutorial about installing System 7.5.3?

This is what you should see on a MacOS9 install disk (the picture is from a Dutch install CD), with in the middle the installer icon.

Pombar
Space Cadet

Post by Pombar »

The install (or not, as it turned out) image came from redundantrobot.com, the source you mentioned for the Mac OS file. Both one labelled "Mac Startup" towards the beginning of the page I was viewing, and one labelled "Mac OS 9 Boot Image". Neither of them, as I'm sure you're aware, are install disks as you describe them.
I suppose I confused the terms 'boot' and 'startup' with 'install'.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I directed you towards the redundantrobot site for the rom file, not for a install disk.

Earlier you mentioned a 8.6 rom file, I assumed that you had a MacOS 8.6 install CD.
Pombar
Space Cadet

Post by Pombar »

Yes, and that is where I ended up getting the rom file for that reason. I misunderstood the descriptions of other files when trying to find an install image.
Thanks for being understanding, I realise this must feel like talking to a wall at times.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Use the rom file you fetched from the redundantrobot site and use your 8.6 install CD to install MacOS 8.6.
patddfan
Space Cadet

won't run on 10.6.2

Post by patddfan »

I just tried to open your build of SheepShaver on my computer, and it does nothing in 10.6.2!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

patddfan:

If you want some help you might want to provide a LITTLE bit more detail. Also consider starting a new forum topic that will be more easily seen.

You might also want to consult Ronald's setup guide:

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepsh ... os_x_setup

and

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepsh ... heepshaver
milmacman
Space Cadet

Post by milmacman »

First, a long-time lurker, I really do appreciate the work you all have done thus far--been doing Mac emulation for the past two and a half years. This is the first (and often) only place I go to not just for help, but to find out about new releases and helpful tips...

That said, I also cannot run SheepShaver on 10.6.2. None of my disks (8.2d8, 8.5, 8.6, 9.0.4) will run. I get the GUI fine, and it starts off. A few seconds later, it gives me the dreaded question mark and disk. I've even tried both an Old World ROM image and the New World ROM from 8.6. No joy thus far.

I have verified these disks, they do run in Windows, and the build/disks ran rock-solid on Leopard 10.5.8. So, I can confirm the latest OS X build runs on Leopard, but so far not on Snow.

I don't know if this is a SheepShaver-specific problem as Basilisk II runs but horrifyingly slowly (JIT is enabled and I used a small 7.6.1 image).

If there is anything I can provide, please let me know!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

milmacman wrote:That said, I also cannot run SheepShaver on 10.6.2. None of my disks (8.2d8, 8.5, 8.6, 9.0.4) will run. I get the GUI fine, and it starts off. A few seconds later, it gives me the dreaded question mark and disk.

I have verified these disks, they do run in Windows, and the build/disks ran rock-solid on Leopard 10.5.8. So, I can confirm the latest OS X build runs on Leopard, but so far not on Snow.
Many run the latest SheepShaver build successfully in 10.6.2. The problem may be specific to your machine and/or configuration.

What do you mean with "disks"? Are the disks generic retail system install CDs? (As far as I know, there never was a retail 8.2d8 system install CD.)

Have you tried creating a new user in Snow Leopard and set up SheepShaver while logged in that new user account? If you can set up SheepShaver in the new user account, the problem is not with Snow Leopard, but with something about your user account.
I don't know if this is a SheepShaver-specific problem as Basilisk II runs but horrifyingly slowly (JIT is enabled and I used a small 7.6.1 image).
Which BasiliskII build do you use? It should run fairly fast on a modern Intel Mac, faster than most real 68k Macs. (For additional discussion of BasiliskII, please use the BasiliskII forum.)
milmacman
Space Cadet

Post by milmacman »

With the disks, I am referring to my hard drive images.

OS 8.2d8 was a beta version and never released directly to the public (if my memory serves me correctly, it became OS 8.5).

I have tried running it in the root account as well as a created user account. No go. I did copy it over from my Leopard install onto an HFS-formatted USB key and then imported it.

OK, I don't know why, but I just fired it up and it booted 7.6.1 okay. I'll keep an eye on it, and if worst comes to worst, I can start by grabbing a fresh binary. The hard disks for 8.5 and 8.6 were apparently corrupted in the transfer, copied the 8.6 over from Windows, no problem so far.

As for Basilisk, it's the latest build from here.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You could try to add problematic disk images as second volume after the working 8.6 startup volume. If the volume mounts on the 8.6 desktop, you can check it. Maybe it is a problem that can be solved simply, like a System Folder that needs blessing.
milmacman
Space Cadet

Post by milmacman »

I found copies of the disk image off of Windows, and so far they've been running quite well in SheepShaver with an old world ROM.

I guess SheepShaver didn't like the disks I copied from the Leopard backup, but it did take the copies I'd moved over to XP to tinker with.

It works, and I've even managed to change the icns file to the old Classic Environment one (got that from Panther via PearPC).

The only things I'd like to change is that when SheepShaver runs OS 9/9.0.4:

-Use the default OS 9 hard drive icon (don't know if the current icon is simply hard-coded)
-Show the emulated processor data as 200MHz (the real 9500 didn't offer a 100MHz G4, it was a 604 with 120, 132, 150, dual 180 or 200, and the lowest G4 upgrade cards I see are for 500MHz). I don't know if this is a hard-coded thing, perhaps if it is, would it be possible to edit that file without recompiling SheepShaver

True, they appear to be purely cosmetic things (and thus minor). SheepShaver runs fine without them, but it would make the emulation even more realistic. I'm not concerned if we cannot make such changes, just that they'd be nice with them in my opinion. :wink:

On a (slightly) unrelated note: does anyone have a good way to emulate 9.2.2. or Cheetah on an Intel Mac? I know SheepShaver doesn't emulate an MMU, and thus 9.1 and 9.2 are out of the question, and PearPC doesn't run 9.x, OS X Server 1.2, or OS X 10.0.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The speed is hard coded so a change would require a recompile. The drive icon can be replaced by copying it onto the drive' "get info" page. There is some forum post with a set of icons. Please use search.

There is currently no way to emulate 9.22 on any platform. Work was done by the Qemu people, but I believe the problem lies in the incomplete emulation of the Openfireware replacement (openhackware). This issue also stopped PearPC from emulating OS 9. You can find out more by searching the web for "Qemu" and "os 9"

Best,
Cat_7
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

Long-term SheepShaver user here (PPC platform, dating back to PowerBook G3 1008 Series, currently on PowerBook G4 / 10.4.11).

I see no differences between this and prior builds. No major complaints either way, but "it" (whatever "it" may be) crashes, or at least OS X says that SheepShaver crashed, upon launch, while at the same time MacOS 8.6 continues on its merry way behind the crash message. OK the crash message and watch the extensions continue loading then it goes to Desktop and works normally. Remains unfixed, is not a big problem.

Reliable crash when Control-clicking a file so as to bring up contextual menu info. I have some 8.6-era 3rd party apps that worked fine on actual PPC 8.6-compatible hardware but may not be playing nicely with SS, e.g. FinderPop.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Do not know with which prior builds you compare this latest build. On Tiger there will be no noticeable difference with 2008 builds. And, yes, that weird crash message is still there on PPC Macs. It does not happen on Intel and if I remember well (can't test it now) also not in Leopard on PPC.

Does the control-click crash happen only with FinderPop installed and/or active?
teh1ghool
Space Cadet

Post by teh1ghool »

For me SheepShaver doesn't even start. I'm on Snow Leopard. What happens is it bounces for 1/10 of a second in the dock and then closes. If I open using Rosetta it stop responding before the GUI pops up.

Anyone?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Does this help?

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... heepshaver

"If SheepShaver does not find a compatible ROM file, it will immediately quit on launch."
mabaker
Space Cadet

Post by mabaker »

First of all let me thank you for all the wonderful work you are doing here guys!

HIGHLY appreciated! :mrgreen:

Now about my question: I’m on 10.6.2 and I can’t get the system 8got 8.5 and 9.0 on DMG files, mounted in Toast as CD-ROM) to install. I’m using the newworldrom and am getting normal blinking floppy on screen.

The problem: the configuration file of the newest SS build is not being saved ANYWHERE on my hdd! After pressing “Save” there’s nothing. I also used Terminal to open the cfg file but received “no such file” message.

Any idea why?

Thank you!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi, and welcome!

let me see if I understand you correctly:

-You can't find the .sheepshaver_prefs file. It is hidden, due to the file name starting with a dot (.). You might see the contents of the file when you use the terminal and type "open .sheepshaver_prefs" (without the quotes)
(If you still receive a file not found error or such, you might have a permissions issue in your home folder. Postings in the forum seem to suggest creating a new user and installing SheepShaver for that user solve the problem)

-You try to start SheepShaver from a virtual cd rom by opening a dmg in toast. While I'm not familiar with making an image available this way, I would suggest you simply try to start SheepShaver from the dmg without opening it in Toast.
Often the dmg is just a plain disk image, which is what you need. So add the dmg as first entry in the volumes list in the preferences editor and boot. Don't forget to make the dmg read only by selecting the appropriate option when you do a "get info" on the dmg. Also make sure it is not mounted in OSX or Toast.

Best,
Cat_7
mabaker
Space Cadet

Post by mabaker »

Thank you for your answer, Cat7! Yes that’s it. I will try different user account then. :D
TrevorJacques
Space Cadet

Quirky networking?

Post by TrevorJacques »

I just set up SheepShaver with OS 8.6 on Snow Leopard. Your instructions were great. 8.6 works well, except for one small, but important, problem. I can't get FileMaker 5 to establish a stable connexion to my FMP server. Sometimes, I get one file open, but the rest of the related files will not load. Other times, I can't even get one file to open completely.

Would a change to 9.0.4 make any difference, here?

BTW, what chances OS 9.1 will be supported by SheepShaver. That would make some important apps. like PhotoShop 7 to be used. :-)

Thanks for keeping Mac OS 9 alive for those of use who still need it.
dpaanlka
Space Cadet

Post by dpaanlka »

I can't get SheepShaver to run at all. The icon appears in the dock then vanishes immediately. I'm on Snow Leopard on a Mac Pro 2.66.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Welcome back to the forum, dpaanlka.

Did you consult the guide?

"If SheepShaver does not find a compatible ROM file, it will immediately quit on launch."

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepsh ... heepshaver
hintzsche
Space Cadet

Post by hintzsche »

hi,

i downloaded sheepshaver. but when i try to start it it crashes. do i have to install xcode or xtools ?