Slow OS9 Installation

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

dave
Space Cadet

Slow OS9 Installation

Post by dave »

I installed SheepShaver without trouble but something appears to be slowing the installation of OS 9 to a crawl. I immediately got an OS9 type dialog box with a progress bar after starting the OS 9 installation. The dialog box says Updating Apple hard disk drivers and initially said Estimated Time Remaining About 5 minutes. Since then (about 45 minutes ago) the Estimated Time Remaining has slowly increased and now reads 51 minutes while the progress bar hasn't moved at all. The watch cursor hands are slowly moving and the estimated time keeps increasing so it's not hung.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi and Welcome!

I have no idea what causes the problem, but I do know how to solve it:
Just before you start the actual install process, you can choose Options. In the following dialogue box you can deselect "update hard disk drivers". That will make you installation continue.

Best,
Cat_7
dave
Space Cadet

Post by dave »

Yep, that was it. Thank you.
haydent
Inquisitive Elf

Post by haydent »

i had this problem too, thanks for the solution. i thought of it and looked for it but missed it. could you add it to the guide here: http://emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

haydent, are you aware that you're responding to topics that are a number of months old?
haydent
Inquisitive Elf

Post by haydent »

yes