New Mac same setup I can't seem to fix

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

sleestack
Student Driver

New Mac same setup I can't seem to fix

Post by sleestack »

I dowloaded the OS9 zip here for my new MacBook Air
this one;
https://mendelson.org/Mac%20OS%209.zip

I figured it would be a fresh clean install. But no. It's the same junky setup I had on my old iMac, I deleted everything. And it's still doing it.
Over and over again. Same awful extensions, I can't seem to access my Macs hd through the unix folder either. It's a mess. Is there something in my iCloud that it is referencing? How it is reloading all these apps I don't know. I don't want it to. I don't see them on my iCloud or anything.

I tried holding Option button and resetting the preferences. It doesn't work.

Here is the prefs file in Application support

" disk /Applications/Mac OS 9.app/Contents/Resources/Files/MacOS.sheepvm/MacOS9.sparsebundle
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala null
serialb null
rom Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal true
jit true
jit68k false
hotkey 3
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
scale_integer false
scale_nearest true
extfs /Users/ss/Documents/
screen win/1024/768
keycodes false
title Mac OS 9
"
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: New Mac same setup I can't seem to fix

Post by emendelson »

That special build isn't supported here or anywhere, and if it isn't working for you, then probably you shouldn't use it. There's probably no way to figure out why the Unix folder doesn't work on your setup, for example.

But, in case you want to make one more try to make it work, the prefs file that gets deleted by the Options menu isn't the one in the app bundle. It's in ~/Library/Application Support/MacOS9.

But it sounds as if you would be much better off deleting the app and using something else instead.
Last edited by emendelson on Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

emendelson replied while I was composing my reply. I will post it anyway.

I am not sure if your remarks are about this "Mac OS 9" offering or about Mac OS 9 itself.

Extensions are loaded during startup, you can see some marching along at the bottom of the screen at startup. That is normal behaviour in Classic MacOS. If there are extensions that you think you do not need, you can disable them in Extensions Manager control panel. Or you can choose there for two Mac OS 9.0.4 only sets. Disabled extensions will not load at next startup.

No apps are loaded or "reloaded". Yes, many useful applications are installed in Applications and Utilities folders for your convenience. You can use them or not. I do not see how that can be a problem. If there are applications that you really do not want to see, you can trash them. They will not return.

The Unix volume points to your Documents folder. That is how this setup is configured. When you start Mac OS 9 while holding the Option key you can choose a different folder for "Unix", like your Home folder. (Choosing your HD is not recommended.)

There is no connection with iCloud.
sleestack
Student Driver

Post by sleestack »

It’s not os9 , it’s the mess I had on my os9 setup on a different computer coming to haunt me
I deleted all that stuff. The file in the application folder etc.

This is me, stuff I did, not you or about Os9, for instance I installed a specific screensaver and it’s still loading on a totally new Mac.

I’m going to do a standard clean manual sheepshaver installation this time. Not use that app bundle, Hopefully it will be a good install

Thanks and sorry for the confusion
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

If you trash your existing copy of the Mac OS 9 app bundle and download a completely fresh copy, you will not find your old screensaver or anything else from your old system. You may want to read the entire download page for further details.