scalers to improve resolution?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Maxor127
Space Cadet

scalers to improve resolution?

Post by Maxor127 »

I've been playing around with Basilisk II and Sheepshaver. I might give PearPC a try. I think I'll be using Sheepshaver over Basilisk II since I've given up on solving the black screens on get on JIT builds. Anyways, scalers are very common in emulators, and I was wondering if any of the current Mac emulators have that function? Like hq2x or anything. Windowed mode is too small, and full screen is buggy and too interlaced. I've been in a World of Xeen mood. The DOS version looks way better with scalers, but the Mac version seems to have better audio like usual.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You do not tell exactly which SheepShaver version/build on which host system you use, but generally you can enter window sizes (screen resolutions) in preferences/settings/GUI to any value you like. Sometimes you need to set once again the newly chosen resolution in the Monitors control panel in MacOS after startup of the emulated machine.
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

What are scalers?
IPalindromeI
Tinkerer

Post by IPalindromeI »

They're graphical effects designer to smooth the image for when an image is scaled, it looks smooth instead of pixelly and blocky.

It's very common to do on game emulators (especially SNES)