how to upgrade from os 8 to os9 / update newest build of SS

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

kingpin10
Space Cadet

how to upgrade from os 8 to os9 / update newest build of SS

Post by kingpin10 »

1st problem Would like to set up one step printing in os 8.5 but read the instructions and apparently they only work for 9.0-04. Cannot understand how to set up pdf printing.

So would like to upgrade SS to its most current build and upgrade os 8.5 to 9 to solve the printing issue.

However i do not have some of the software that i installed on os 8.5 so I assume I need to upgrade to 9 not reinstall SS and add new OS9.
I do not have a copy of os 9 install is that available somewhere? i keep downloading what appears to be the system folder etc but no installer.

MAc os 10.6.2 and intel dual core imac
Thank you for this most valuable of emulators
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Setting up printing in MacOS 8.5 is exactly the same procedure as setting it up in MacOS 9. So no need to upgrade to 9.0.4 for that. What did you try and what did not work?

A link to a 9.0.4 install disk image can be found here: http://www.macintoshgarden.org/apps/ope ... ems?page=6
(Note that upgrading an existing installation will only work when the installed system and the installer are the very same language version.)
kingpin10
Space Cadet

Printing / Portable VM

Post by kingpin10 »

I tried the method of setting it up LPR printer using printer utility and the ip address of my mac . Cannot get the machine to verify the printer. The printer is hooked to the computer directly with usb however it is also hooked to apple airport. Cannot get either to work.

Also is the current build of SS better more stable. i assume Mac os is 9.04 is better than 8.5.that is why i would upgrade.

The SS VM machine i have works great except for the direct printing. Would like to not have to try and set up a new SS WM again for each computer in my office how do i make the whole thing portable? What files can i copy to a disk and how would i set that up drag and drop on each computer?
thanks

Patrick
kingpin10
Space Cadet

Link to 9.04

Post by kingpin10 »

You sent the link to 9.04 I am in the US so looking for us english if i find that how di i use it to use it on my existing SS VM to upgrade from 8.5?

thank you again and thanks to everyone who makes this forum possible.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I would leave 8.5 alone (Never touch a running system) and would create new disk images of 500MB or so, for each OS to install on and a 2GB image for apps.
Actually, thats what I did for my setup in 10.6.7.
The images can be carried around on a stick, or can be placed on your server.
By the way, don´t miss 7.6 with the 4MB ROM. Some apps will work with the Shaver there, but not with 8/9 and vice versa.

I do not print much, but I made some pdf files with SS by means of PrinToPDF, printing all right from the host OS.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Printing / Portable VM

kingpin10 wrote:I tried the method of setting it up LPR printer using printer utility and the ip address of my mac . Cannot get the machine to verify the printer. The printer is hooked to the computer directly with usb however it is also hooked to apple airport. Cannot get either to work.
Neither can I with SS and 9.0.4 to a shared printer on the MacOSX 10.6.7 host. I reported that in the "Printing in OSX" topic. Apparently it does not work for everyone. I do not know why.

Try setting up a LPR desktop printer to print to a PostScript file. That should always work. Saving the file to a folder in the "Unix" disk and combined with emendelson's folder action script, the printing from SheepShaver to the default printer in OSX can be automated.

All information in the "Printing in OSX" topic:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3331
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Discussion about setting up printing continued in this topic:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7091