Sleeping Mac hangs SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Machster28
Student Driver

Sleeping Mac hangs SheepShaver

Post by Machster28 »

I have three installs of SheepShaver - one with Mac 9.0.4, one with 8.6 and one with 7.6 on my MBP with Snow Leopard. The problem is whenever I put the Mac to sleep with OS 8.6 open when I wake the mac SS hangs. This does not occur with either OS 9 or 7.

My set up has three separate folders for each OS with SS 2.3 in each. I am using the same ROM for OS 9 and 8.
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

How do you make the Mac sleep? As I remember , the normal Mac OS sleeping functions doesn't do anything in SheepShaver .
Machster28
Student Driver

Post by Machster28 »

I am referring to sleeping the host not the SS OS guest using either the menu option or the power key.
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

Do you run multiple instances of SheepShaver? If it only occurs with 8.6 , check the system folder & for viruses .
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Well, let's try to look for a more realistic cause than a virus. There have been a couple of MacOS viruses in the past, but the chance of getting one of those ancient viruses now is minimal. And the only problem being the guest OS hanging when the host is woken from sleep does not suggest a virus.

Maybe there are differences in the energy saving setting between 8.6 the systems that do not hang?

If you use the "normal" SheepShaver setup for all three, the SheepShaver settings will be identical. But if you use sheepvm virtual machines or the SheepShaver Launcher, the setting can be different for each. Maybe there are differences in SheepShaver settings between the virtual machine that hangs and the other two that do not?
Machster28
Student Driver

Post by Machster28 »

I use the SS app to start the VMs. The preferences are identical on all three.

BTW I have tried using both the new and old world ROMs without it making a difference.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

And the energy saving settings in the three installed systems (sleep, shut down. etc.)? Those settings can be different.
Machster28
Student Driver

Post by Machster28 »

Energy saving settings are all the same: nothing is checked.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Try holding down the Shift key when booting the 8.6 system, so extensions are off. Then let us know whether it hangs when the host system sleeps. (I don't have that problem with my 8.6 system, so it's clearly local to your own system.)
Machster28
Student Driver

Post by Machster28 »

It still hangs with all the extensions off.
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

For me, this doesn't occur when running OS 8.1 on SS and closing my macbook (ie. setting the host system to sleep). in fact the first time i did this i was very impressed with the continued stability of the emulator upon wakeup