I may have found a way to boot Linux in SheepShaver.

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

McIntosh
Tinkerer

I may have found a way to boot Linux in SheepShaver.

Post by McIntosh »

The image says all! It may actually be possible! I will try to update this post after doing some more experimenting.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

That's interesting ;-)

Please report!

Best,
Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

That image is blocked in China... but I am very excited to learn about what you did.

(ps: does anyone want to upload that image to their personal webspace so I can see it?)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

ClockWise wrote:(ps: does anyone want to upload that image to their personal webspace so I can see it?)
Here it is:

McIntosh
Tinkerer

Post by McIntosh »

I used the miboot.iso image. It can be used to install Debian Sarge. I found this while I was trying to find a way to install Linux/UNIX/BSD on my NuBus Power Macintosh 7100. Since I was low on blank CD's, I thought a good way to pass the time would be to try running it on SheepShaver. The miboot boot loader booted, but some error occured in the C code. From what I saw, the boot loader may have been based upon yaboot. I can't seem to find an old Debian Sarge (umm, I think I need 3.1?) iso image. If anyone on here can post a link to that, I would be very appreciative. More screenshots:
I would appreciate it if someone can upload these images to another site for Clockwise? I don't have a personal web page. :( sorry
McIntosh
Tinkerer

Post by McIntosh »

nvm, I think I've found Debian Sarge for PPC. SheepShaver and my 7100 both lack open firmware, so miboot is an alternative. If you all want me to post my work and links to the files needed, say so. I am busy experimenting, so I don't want to upload something for nothing.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Well, do keep us posted on your status.

(ps: I was able to view the images on my own! Thanks!)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

This is exactly how far the SheepShaver OSX version boots with the two miboot iso images from sourceforge.

Best,
Cat_7
McIntosh
Tinkerer

Post by McIntosh »

If you don't know already, here is the site that helped me with my discoveries:

http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net

There was another site that I used to research this topic, but I forget what it was. :oops:
I hope I will find it again eventually.
vasiliy
Space Cadet

Post by vasiliy »

I'm downloading Ubuntu PPC build, out of curiosity. Will let you guys know how that one goes :P
fanman93
Granny Smith

Post by fanman93 »

Topics like this make me happy; when someone asks you "why?" (and they will), just answer "why not?" Why am I trying to install an obsolete version of Linux in an emulator for an obsolete model of computer? Why not?

Again, love it when people experiment! :P
IPalindromeI
Tinkerer

Post by IPalindromeI »

Your problem is the lack of an MMU, and possibly Open Firmware problems. Without the first Linux will refuse and the second one makes it a lot painful as Old World/OFless Macs are harder to boot with Linux.
McIntosh
Tinkerer

Post by McIntosh »

I know :). I am trying to find a build of Linux that doesn't require mmu. That, and Open Firmware. If you have read my previous posts, you would know that I was originally trying to find a linux distro/bootloader that will run on a machine without Open Firmware. Why? Because I own a NuBus PowerMac, so OF is not available. Ya know, I think I've heard somewhere that you can run Linux on a Mac Plus. Unless I'm mistaken, Open Firmware was not available in the 1980's.
McIntosh
Tinkerer

Post by McIntosh »

I think that the Open Firmware problem is resolved. OF is needed to boot; I have gotten Linux to boot on SS. Because of that, there may be a key possibility that the research on this topic may lead to all of us booting Mac OS X on SS. I would at least like to boot Rhapsody/OSX beta+10.0. btw, Ubuntu PPC will not boot until one of us figure out how to use the boot loader to start it. If someone will find a way, use a new world ROM. Ubuntu will not boot using Old World. By the way, why not PearPC? I'm sure Ubuntu will boot a lot faster that it may ever on SheepShaver. Another topic: BSD. Will it be more likely to run than Linux?
IPalindromeI
Tinkerer

Post by IPalindromeI »

I've been pretty sure Linux requires an MMU at least for semirecent builds. You might have to go back into the 90s to find one that doesn't.
McIntosh
Tinkerer

Post by McIntosh »

You're hilarious.

McIntosh
Tinkerer

Post by McIntosh »

This isn't the other site I was talking about, but it might help:
http://www.mauiholm.org/ohana/debian.html
Praise the Google!