installing mac os 8 on sheepshaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Avazil
Student Driver

installing mac os 8 on sheepshaver

Post by Avazil »

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and I'm trying to install mac os 8 on sheepshaver. I've tried a few things to get it to work, but I can't get past a screen with a little disk and a blinking question mark in it. I have an install disk for mac os 8, but whenever I try running sheepshaver it immediately ejects the disk. Even if I try to put the disk back in, it spits it back out. It doesn't do that when it's not running. I created a disk image from the install disk, but it freezes.

I've tried both the newworld and oldworld roms. I've installed the gtk 2.0 runtime and put the sdl dll file in the directory. I've tried a few different configurations in the GUI file, but nothing has worked. Does anyone have ideas on how I can fix this?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I moved this question to the SheepShaver forum

Hi,

You need the old world rom to install anything below MacOS 8.5 on SheepShaver, so you can stick with that.
Then, what cd rom do you have to install from? Is it known-to-work cd or copy? Is it an universal install disk?
In 64 bit windows, you can't use real cd roms, as the driver doesn't work. So you have to use an image of the disk. You made an image. With what program?

You can download a floppy disk image and try to boot from that, just to make sure everything else is working. Download from here: and add it in your volumes list http://emaculation.com/sheepshaver/DiskTools85_PPC.img (at the top)

Can you paste the contents of your sheepshaver_prefs file in your reply?

Best,
Cat_7
Avazil
Student Driver

Post by Avazil »

Okay, update. After extensive searching, I got my hands on OS 9 and installed that by creating an iso. I used imgburn to do it and it worked. The newworld rom works too. Since I can't get any cd's to run on the Win 7 system, I've decided to use an older XP system to do it, only it isn't reading the discs. I got it to once before on OS 8, but I don't know why it isn't working now. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.

By the way, the contents of my sheepshaver_prefs is this:

disk C:\SheepShaver\harddisk
cdrom D:\
extfs
screen win/1024/768
windowmodes 3
screenmodes 63
seriala COM1
serialb COM2
rom C:\SheepShaver\newworld86.rom\newworld86.rom
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 1
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k true
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
enableextfs true
debugextfs false
extdrives CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
pollmedia true
etherpermanentaddress true
ethermulticastmode 0
routerenabled false
ftp_port_list 21
portfile0 C:\B2TEMP0.OUT
portfile1 C:\B2TEMP1.OUT
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I assume you installed the cdenable.sys file in the correct location on you XP machine?
You need to insert the CD, let it settle, and only then start SheepShaver. Can you see/hear the CD drive being accessed when you start SheepShaver?
Changing CD's will not work. And not all types of CD's are supported. Are you CD's Mac formatted?

Best,
Cat_7
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Hi,
not all disks with a MacOS on it seem to be bootable. The same is true for disk images made from those, of course.
If you have SheepShaver up and running, you can easily mount an empty 2GB image and the installer disk image
with SheepShaver´s GUI. Run the MacOS installer and point it to your empty disk.
This is how I did most of my System installations.
Best wishes!