7.5.3 Install no hard disk?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

GaryM_45
Space Cadet

7.5.3 Install no hard disk?

Post by GaryM_45 »

I'm running SS in Windows 11, and the CD for 7.5.3 (Performa 6400...) from Macintosh Garden boots fine. When I choose "Restore All Software" the app can't find any hard drives to install to. I've created first a 750MB file, and then a 1250MB file, that are listed as "Internal Floppy Drive" by Disk First Aid (DFA) and are not recognized in Disk Set-up. How do I get the running System 7 to see the drive as a Hard Drive?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: 7.5.3 Install no hard disk?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Did you have the new disks initialized at startup and do they appear on the SheepShaver desktop?

SheepShaver cannot see disk images as hard disks, it will always see them as (large) floppy disks. Disk Setup cannot see them. (On a real Mac, Disk Setup can only see true hard drives on a SCSI connection.)

Apparently you use a software restore disk, not a System install disk. I did use a software restore disk once in SheepShaver. Not sure if this will work with any restore disk. Better find an install disk.
GaryM_45
Space Cadet

Re: 7.5.3 Install no hard disk?

Post by GaryM_45 »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm up and running SS.