Outlook 2001 for Mac Classic will not start in SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

GarryB
Space Cadet

Outlook 2001 for Mac Classic will not start in SheepShaver

Post by GarryB »

I have Mac OS 9 running in SheepShaver and all seems well. However, I can't get Outlook 2001 (the Mac Classic version) to run. I get the following error:

"The application was unable to start due to an error. Please contact customer support."

Does anyone know why Outlook will not run ?

Many thanks.

Garry
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

This might be a long shot, but have you tried Outlook Express (as a possible workaround)?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... 56380e8425
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

OS 904 and Office don't work together well, using SheepShaver. Perhaps downgrading to 8.5/8.6 and using the old world rom can help you. Running SheepShaver in Windows is also more forgiving in compatibility issues.

Best,
Cat_7
GarryB
Space Cadet

Many thanks

Post by GarryB »

Kikkoman, thanks. I'll try Outlook Express but, I want to open PST files created in Outlook for Windows. I think I need Outlook 2001 for that.

Cat_7, that rings a bell - I'll try OS 8.6.

Cheers.

Garry
sja
Inquisitive Elf

Re: Outlook 2001 for Mac Classic will not start in SheepShav

Post by sja »

Inquiring if anyone has gotten Microsoft Office 2001 working in SheepShaver MAC OS 9.04?
I've placed all the files properlly in their respective folders in the SheepShaver OS9 disk, but the Word app won't start. The message is: 'The application was unable to start due to an error. Please contact customer support"

any ideas to get a MS Word 2001 working in SheepShaver OS 904?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

As you can see from the thread, this is a nasty error that prevents useful application of SheepShaver in office-related settings.
Office 98 works a bit better.

I'll delete you other post on the same subject.

Best,
Cat_7
mschmitt
Tinkerer

Post by mschmitt »

In the end Outlook 2001 had trouble even running on a real Mac (i.e. not in SheepShaver). I seem to recall that it needed to connect to an Exchange server, but didn't support the newer Exchange authentication. And it may not support the lastest PST format.

For opening PST files, I'd suggest:
  • Give into the dark side and run Outlook for Windows, in Fusion, Parallels or CrossOver.
  • Outlook 2011 for Mac can import PSTs, but this is one-way.
  • There are some utilities for working with PSTs on OS X. For example, see PST Bridge in the Mac App Store. It has a PST Viewer add-on, that lets you view the PST contents without importing.