Development of Sheepshaver?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Marc
Master Emulator

Development of Sheepshaver?

Post by Marc »

Not been around her in a while, must say upon my return the developments have been mind blowing!

Sheepshaver on x86 looks like an immense breakthrough (eat your heart out Darek!) Is anyone other than Gwenole helping with its development? I done a quick Google and have found very little infor apart from this great site on the development of this new app.

Also, is there ANY hope of a Win32 version? It looks extremely doubtful, but it would be nice.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

According to the CVS logs, Gwenole is the only person currently working on the project.

I'm researching any possible quick-and-dirty port method of building and running SheepShaver on Windows, but I don't consider myself a competant programmer by any means. Cygwin, MinGW, Dev-C++, Services For Unix, ... perhaps someday down the road something will work. Gwenole had used GCC and MinGW libraries\headers for the experimental Windows port of Basilisk II JIT.

See this thread for possible porting info: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MacEmula ... msg=1262.2
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Thanks for the reply and the link..

Exciting times these are, indeed. I am no way a programer at all so I am not going to bitch if there is never a Windows port or if theproject never gets by its current stage. Hats off to Gwenole. It would be nice to have a fully working PPC emu that was cross platform, though.

Hopefully the breakthrough has been made.

Post by Guest »

I was looking at the GIMP port for windows for more info on how to get BII JIT and SheepShaver x86 to build on windows... Seems like a good place to start. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten much further than looking at this point. No real progress on getting it to build in Cygwin, or anywhere else, but I've only put a couples hours toward it.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

There's also info on Mozilla's site about porting Mozilla from Linux to Windows, which might help.

Probably a good course of action for a programmer new to Mac emulation development\porting would be looking over mini-vMac's code, studying Basilisk II's code to see how it was ported to Windows (DirectX and all), then tackling the SheepShaver code. A good understanding of Mac, Linux and Windows low level development would help. I don't have time\brains for this. :wink:
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Methinks it's too much work right now to port it, because the changes are so big and so common that it's not worth porting it over right now...wait until an "official" release.

That's what my programmer's sense is telling me, at least :)