It's quiet....

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Celedae

It's quiet....

Post by Celedae »

Haven't heard much from Sheepshaver lately... does anybody know whether or not they're making any progress?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

robotintestines
Tinkerer

Post by robotintestines »

I am very surprised that there isn't more of a stir about this. I expected a huge response. Clockwise, has traffic increased significantly?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

A little bit, yeah. I'm not really certain that a Linux only emulator will be popular. Linux users don't want to run Macintosh operating systems, and Windows users don't use Linux...

Post by Guest »

A little bit, yeah. I'm not really certain that a Linux only emulator will be popular. Linux users don't want to run Macintosh operating systems, and Windows users don't use Linux...
Surely you jest. Any ppc emulator would be popular. If it only runs on Linux so be it. Some bright spark, if not the author himself, will surely port it at some point.
I am a Linux user and I would like to run MacOS in a ppc environment so that I can test out usability of my web sites (more specifically I already have MacOS 8.5 running with IE installed under SheepShaver. Little use at the moment until networking is implemented. Last checked 2 weeks ago).
As for Windows users not using Linux that is wrong. Many people already switch between the two and virtualise the environments. For others it can be a first step and so on. On a topical note for example, I have SheepShaver running on Gentoo Linux inside vmware on WinXP.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I stand corrected. My impression was that Windows users were dumb abotu operating systems, and Linux users were elitist about operating systems.

(I kid)

Anyways - look at the read counts in this folder, and compare them to the read counts in all the other folders - there is a lot more interest in SheepShaver than anything else.