Using iMac Software Restore disc on Sheepshaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

sega dude
Space Cadet

Using iMac Software Restore disc on Sheepshaver

Post by sega dude »

I have an iMac Software Restore disc for iMac DV models I'd like to use on sheepshaver for osx. It boots up fine, but it won't let me install the OS. I get the error in the screenshot below.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is there a way to trick it into thinking it's an iMac DV so I can install the OS? Thanks in advance!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Using iMac Software Restore disc on Sheepshaver

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

System install CD's that were provided with a certain Mac model will only install on that model. Only general retail system install CD's will work in SheepShaver.

If you cannot find (a disk image of) a general retail system install CD, you can try the hack that is described here: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3119 This hack does in fact the opposite of what you asked, it makes the installer believe it is intended for the machine that SheepShaver emulates. Note that the resulting installation may not be fully functional because it contains only the files that were needed by the iMac DV.

BTW: All of this is also described in our setup manual.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
sega dude
Space Cadet

Post by sega dude »

It won't boot off the CD after I mount the iso image. It only wants to boot off the iso image, not the CD that is in the drive. I even set it to boot from CD rom in the preferences but will still boots from the iso image. The iso image won't boot because it needs to be on the original media.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Yes, SheepShaver will not startup from an actual CD when a (potentially) bootable volume is present in the volumes list, regardless settings. This is a long standing bug in SheepShaver for OSX.

You can fool the system on the .iso file into thinking it is on the original (read-only CD) media by locking the file in OSX Finder Info. (Or you can burn the .iso file again as CD.)