Finally! Success! MacOS 8.6 runs smoothly on Mandrake 9.2

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Temporary

Finally! Success! MacOS 8.6 runs smoothly on Mandrake 9.2

Post by Temporary »

in vmware running on WinXP host!
Now I just need to install CarbonLib 1.6 to run all the latest Carbon apps...
BTW - When will SheepShaver be able to run OS 9.x? maybe then we will be able to use XPostFacto to install and run OSX :wink:

Gwenole

Post by Gwenole »

No, you can't run MacOS X, even if SheepShaver were to support MacOS 9.
Temporary

Post by Temporary »

Well, then I guess we can all use GNUStep and hope it will keep track with Cocoa in the future. Maybe when SheepShaver will be better and will emrege with Basilik, someone will make a Linux or Darwin x86 distribution that will have an aqua-like GUI, GNUStep installed, and SheepShaver included.
Now that will be a "true" OSX x86 :)
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Am I not right in thinking that SheepShaver in it's current form can never emulate OSX - even using XPostFacto - since it does emulate an MMU, which is necessary for a BSD OS like X?
Temporary

Post by Temporary »

But now it emulates AltiVec, which is an MMU, so I don't think it is a problem anymore. I think it has something to do with the architecture of SheepShaver itself that stops us from ever using OSX on it.
Gwenole

Post by Gwenole »

AltiVec is not an MMU. We are still emulating a G4 processor without MMU.
Temporary

Post by Temporary »

When will you add MMU?
User

Airat

Post by User »

What the Linux Distro using Gwenole
Diffused Mind
Student Driver

Post by Diffused Mind »

I'm no programmer, but cant you add MMU support in SheepShaver on PowerPC by mapping the registers to the real physical MMU, and then it will be like having MacOnLinux on OS X. I know, this makes no sense, but it would be like making MOL for OS X. :?
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

I don 't think it's that simple or else Gwenole would no doubt have done it already.
Diffused Mind
Student Driver

Post by Diffused Mind »

Marc wrote:I don 't think it's that simple or else Gwenole would no doubt have done it already.
Maybe Gwenole doesn't have a Mac or an OS X-capable Mac. :idea:
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

I think he does as on his site there are screenshots of a Darwin Port of SS working under X.
Diffused Mind
Student Driver

Post by Diffused Mind »

They could have been submitted.

And why did you suddenly leave OldOs without any notice?
ShadowFox
Tinkerer

Post by ShadowFox »

The whole concept of emulation has always been very interesting to me. I've waited for a PowerPC emulator since I was 12 (that makes 8 years now), while I was playing with build 102 of basilisk II and the demo's of Executor.

I'd like to learn how the internal workings of something like SheepShaver or Basilisk run, and am steadily picking up C and C++. Gwenole, are there any papers or books you can recommend to start reading up on processor architecture or programming for such a low level?