Spotlight will of course not search SheepShaver's virtual disk and, while Sherlock will, results can be spotty and the interface is slow.
QuickFind, a utility written for Legacy Macs (OS 7.5-9.2), has ten search filters (somewhat like Google advanced search for the web), is very fast, and has a bunch of options. Runs perfectly in SheepShaver installations:
- Boolean as well as string search: much more flexible and powerful
- Regular expression search: most powerful paradigm of all
- All search filters immediately accessible
- All search filters work together
- Six always-available user-definable search areas: one to a button, plus temporary areas
- Found items all show path or container, rather than a slow click and-scroll for each item to determine location
- Multiple levels of search
- Customizable default actions
- No overhead of indexing to search for text in files
Completely free, at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/keqismxce3uuo ... 1.sit?dl=0
Unsolicited comments from users:
“Fantastic . . . Powerful . . . unbelievably fast . . . Thanks John! . . . great work, fine and easy to use [author, Find Document osax] . . . a sophisticated application . . . powerful! [MacScripter] . . . competent program . . . lightning fast . . . a gem! . . . one of his best efforts . . . makes searching a pleasure . . . even gives Sherlock a run for its money . . . capable program . . . works solidly. Bravo! . . . lean, mean and stable . . . the documentation is wonderful . . . fast and elegant . . . quite fast . . . beautiful application . . . Great Stuff . . . outstanding! . . . truly a pleasure to use . . . Many thanks . . . quick and neat . . . Works like a charm. Thanks for a great product!