Good free search utility for Mac SheepShaver disks

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

jrethorst
Tinkerer

Good free search utility for Mac SheepShaver disks

Post by jrethorst »

Spotlight will of course not search SheepShaver's virtual disk and, while Sherlock will, results can be spotty and the interface is slow.

QuickFind, a utility written for Legacy Macs (OS 7.5-9.2), has ten search filters (somewhat like Google advanced search for the web), is very fast, and has a bunch of options. Runs perfectly in SheepShaver installations:

- Boolean as well as string search: much more flexible and powerful
- Regular expression search: most powerful paradigm of all
- All search filters immediately accessible
- All search filters work together
- Six always-available user-definable search areas: one to a button, plus temporary areas
- Found items all show path or container, rather than a slow click and-scroll for each item to determine location
- Multiple levels of search
- Customizable default actions
- No overhead of indexing to search for text in files

Completely free, at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/keqismxce3uuo ... 1.sit?dl=0

Thank you,
John Rethorst

Unsolicited comments from users:

“Fantastic . . . Powerful . . . unbelievably fast . . . Thanks John! . . . great work, fine and easy to use [author, Find Document osax] . . . a sophisticated application . . . powerful! [MacScripter] . . . competent program . . . lightning fast . . . a gem! . . . one of his best efforts . . . makes searching a pleasure . . . even gives Sherlock a run for its money . . . capable program . . . works solidly. Bravo! . . . lean, mean and stable . . . the documentation is wonderful . . . fast and elegant . . . quite fast . . . beautiful application . . . Great Stuff . . . outstanding! . . . truly a pleasure to use . . . Many thanks . . . quick and neat . . . Works like a charm. Thanks for a great product!
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revised download link
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Good free search utility for Mac SheepShaver disks

Post by adespoton »

I'll have to look it up; I've got another one from the mid-90's that's also good -- it lets you catalog all your removable media and search them as a virtual drive. Useful if you want to sort your software by disk image but be able to find it at a moment's notice for use. That way, you can keep a bunch of 1GB images but have a 50GB collection to reference whenever you want (double clicking will prompt you to insert the disk).
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

That reminds me of DiskCatalog from Haxial (http://web.archive.org/web/200907170828 ... iskcatalog). The original website doesn't exist anymore, so I don't know whether it is still possible to obtain a license key (you do get put through to PayPal, though).

I registered a few years ago for USD 20.00. That includes license keys for the Windows, Classic MacOS, and OS X version. You could catalog with any of the OSes into one database (e.g., on a network drive) and search the contents from any system running DiskCatalog.
mschmitt
Tinkerer

Post by mschmitt »

You can mount the SheepShaver drive in OS X and then search it with the usual OS X tools, such as Find Any File. You should be able to index it with Spotlight that way.
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Post by jrethorst »

mschmitt wrote:You can mount the SheepShaver drive in OS X and then search it with the usual OS X tools, such as Find Any File. You should be able to index it with Spotlight that way.
So you'd have to quit SheepShaver, or at least unmount the disk, mount in in OSX and, after Spotlight indexes it, reverse the procedure.

At that point, will Spotlight (itself) display its index entries for an unmounted disk? I'm sure third-party utilities will, so the only issue besides unmounting/remounting is the increasing inaccuracy of the OSX index as you modify the virtual disk.

This sounds like an order of magnitude more time to search, compared to just dropping QuickFind anywhere on the virtual disk and using it as necessary.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

It would be interesting to have a tool that could create an external search index for disk image files, without having to mount them.

Has anyone tried using a shadowcopy disk image in SheepShaver? This should theoretically allow you to open the image in both places (assuming SS supports shadow images?).

Someone willing to try?
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Post by jrethorst »

In response to a question -- QuickFind will not search the "Unix" disk in SheepShaver. Unix appears to be an OS 9 disk, but is just a representation of one, with OS X file structure.

John
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Post by jrethorst »

Dropbox has changed its filesharing structure, and I need to revise the download link to this. It's now at https://www.dropbox.com/s/keqismxce3uuo ... 1.sit?dl=0

John R.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revised download link accordingly in the first post
TiddK
Granny Smith

Post by TiddK »

Very nice! It's launched, though I haven't actually searched for anything yet. Looks like it will be a useful addition. :-)
jrethorst
Tinkerer

Post by jrethorst »

TiddK wrote:Very nice! It's launched, though I haven't actually searched for anything yet. Looks like it will be a useful addition. :-)
Thank you.

John R.