My Sheepshaver broken ?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

galgot
Granny Smith

My Sheepshaver broken ?

Post by galgot »

hi,

i think i've goofed : i had Sheepshaver running Mac OS 9.0.1, on Mountain Lion. Was running fine more or less (lots of crashes)… Until i moved a 240 Mb file icon from the shared "Unix" folder to the desktop, then stupidly moved it back to the shared folder but this time holding the Alt key (making a copy :/) . Sheepshaver immediately crashed, and now refuses to start again. Tried using the delete prefs and zap PRAM scripts, but no effect. Still doesn't start.
Is there a way the fix that, or at least to retreive my OS 9 sheepshaver disk image ?

Thanks in advance
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: My Sheepshaver broken ?

Post by 24bit »

I would boot SS from another volume or backup with a fresh prefs file and mount the possibly damaged volume as secondary drive.
Try to repair the OS9.0.1 volume with Apple´s Disk First Aid.
Rebuilding the Desktop file might help also.

Don´t copy anything to the Desktop from the Shared Volume.
The file remains on the Unix drive, only an alias is created.

(Always have a backup! :) )
galgot
Granny Smith

Post by galgot »

Thanks for your help,

the problem is i can't even start Sheepshaver to boot from another volume. It just refuses to start. So can't select any volume to boot.
I tried :
-Running delete prefs and zap PRAM scripts.
-Emptying the shared folder.
-Moving my OS9 volume image out the way from the SS folder.
-Trashing "sheepshaver.plist" from my ~/Library/preferences folder.
-Another fresh download of Sheepshaver.
No way… The SS icon bounce once and nothing.

EDIT :
I've just run Onyx to trash the system cache. Restarted and now run again ! :)
Re-assigned my old OS9 volume (will sure make a backup) for boot, and it started ok. Releived .
Anyway… problem solved, Thanks.

Cheers
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Nothing can happen to the SheepShaver application itself. If you deleted the prefs and nvram files, created a fresh shared folder, removed the OS9 disk image, and removed other disk images you may have added, SheepShaver should launch as if it had never been used before and show the grey window with floppy icon and blinking question mark...

... if a compatible ROM file that is (re)named "Mac OS ROM" is placed in the same folder with SheepShaver.

BTW: When you moved the file from the Unix volume to the desktop, it never left the shared folder. You moved it inside the shared folder to a folder "Desktop Folder" which is invisible in MacOS9. Then you tried to copy the file between two locations in the shared folder.
galgot
Granny Smith

Post by galgot »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Nothing can happen to the SheepShaver application itself. If you deleted the prefs and nvram files, created a fresh shared folder, removed the OS9 disk image, and removed other disk images you may have added, SheepShaver should launch as if it had never been used before and show the grey window with floppy icon and blinking question mark...

... if a compatible ROM file that is (re)named "Mac OS ROM" is placed in the same folder with SheepShaver.

BTW: When you moved the file from the Unix volume to the desktop, it never left the shared folder. You moved it inside the shared folder to a folder "Desktop Folder" which is invisible in MacOS9. Then you tried to copy the file between two locations in the shared folder.

Yes indeed. Nothing happened to the app itself. But still after deleting prefs, zipping PRAM, moving away the old volume and shared folder, SS wasn't starting…
So at last resort i tried with no success another copy :)
But working now after trashing OS X cache and reboot. So the problem was SS still using a corrupted cache to start maybe…

Thanks for the help.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Yes, with Mt Lion and later, Apple cashes a lot of things and uses the cached version for quick launch -- especially after a crash (that's always seemed backwards to me). Someone may want to write a script for SS/BII that clears their cache files, as we'll likely see future cases of this issue.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

If deleting caches solved the issue, it seems that at least one cache file was involved. But which file could that have been? There are no SheepShaver or BasiliskII cache files. At least on my 10.8.5 machine, I cannot find any cache file that looks like it is related to either SheepShaver or BasiliskII. (And I had lots of crashes of both while trying different configurations.)