Updating Game Sprokets, etc.

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ALRUI
Space Cadet

Updating Game Sprokets, etc.

Post by ALRUI »

Hi Folks - Is it possible to install updated extensions such as Game Sprockets in the system installed with SheepShaver? I tried to use the installer and I got a message that stated there wasnt enough room. Please advise.

Thanks!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Updating Game Sprokets, etc.

Post by adespoton »

Well, there are a few things to think about here. The error you're getting implies you're out of space. This means you either need to free up space or get a bigger boot image.

The second item is the fact that SS only does serial over USB, so game sprockets are unlikely to actually function correctly. Worth a try though, once you free up space.
ALRUI
Space Cadet

Post by ALRUI »

adespoton wrote:Well, there are a few things to think about here. The error you're getting implies you're out of space. This means you either need to free up space or get a bigger boot image.

The second item is the fact that SS only does serial over USB, so game sprockets are unlikely to actually function correctly. Worth a try though, once you free up space.
Thanks for the reply! Theres plenty of space on the physical hard drive, it seems the system in classic (SheepShaver) doesnt have room but I havent added anything to it since first boot so not sure why it thinks theres no "space". Is there something I need to change in my SheepShaver prefs?
Bon_Glung
Student Driver

Post by Bon_Glung »

I've got Game Sprockets 1.7.5 working on OS 9.04.

There's no "problem", but the USB stuff isn't any better.
iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2009, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM. OS X 10.12.6
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

ALRUI wrote:it seems the system in classic (SheepShaver) doesnt have room but I havent added anything to it since first boot so not sure why it thinks theres no "space". Is there something I need to change in my SheepShaver prefs?
Maybe you use an image with installed system like the one that can be downloaded from redundant robot instead of installing MacOS yourself? The redundant robot OS9 image indeed has no room for additional software. Create a larger image and copy the system over, then remove the original boot image and startup from the larger one.

As far as I am aware, Game Sprockets do nothing in SheepShaver. They work with USB and SheepShaver does not know USB. For SheepShaver keyboard and mouse appear on old ADB ports.
ALRUI
Space Cadet

Post by ALRUI »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
ALRUI wrote:it seems the system in classic (SheepShaver) doesnt have room but I havent added anything to it since first boot so not sure why it thinks theres no "space". Is there something I need to change in my SheepShaver prefs?
Maybe you use an image with installed system like the one that can be downloaded from redundant robot instead of installing MacOS yourself? The redundant robot OS9 image indeed has no room for additional software. Create a larger image and copy the system over, then remove the original boot image and startup from the larger one.

As far as I am aware, Game Sprockets do nothing in SheepShaver. They work with USB and SheepShaver does not know USB. For SheepShaver keyboard and mouse appear on old ADB ports.
Thanks! Yes I used the "canned" system, I'll go ahead and install one from my OS9 system disk then. A game I installed (4x4 Evolution) said that Game Sprockets and OpenGL needed to be updated so I jumped in to do that without thinking what their functionality was. I appreciate the input:-)