cannot launch an app after copying to sheepshaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

jackykwan
Space Cadet

cannot launch an app after copying to sheepshaver

Post by jackykwan »

Hi, I am newbie to Sheepshaver so please forgive me if the question seems to be too silly. I can launch into OS 9 with no issue, but I cannot launch an app (iomega findit) that I copied from my old mac. The OS doesn't recognize the app at all (it appeared to be a "document" file in Sheepshaver), I already copy out the whole folder of "findit" and transfer to Sheepshaver OS9 with no issue. one thing I notice that my old Mac is using 9.2.2 but the Sheepshaver I am having is 9.0. Is this the cause of the issue? If so is it possible to upgrade my 9.0(img) to 9.2.2 somehow? Thanks for the help in advance!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: cannot launch an app after copying to sheepshaver

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

It seems that the files lost their specific Mac properties, like resource forks.

- What is your host system? Which version?
On OSX the files should normally survive with Mac properties intact.

- How did you copy the files?
If you use an USB stick and the host is OSX, you should first format it HFS+. Most sticks come DOS/FAT formatted.

- How did you move/copy the files from the host system into SheepShaver's MacOS?

(SheepShaver cannot run MacOS later than 9.0.4. Most software that runs in 9.2.2 should run fine in 9.0./9.0.4.)
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
jackykwan
Space Cadet

Post by jackykwan »

Thanks for the reply, my USB did use FAT format before, but it's still the same after I format it as HFS+...

I just did a copy all and paste to USB, then put it in the sheepshaver shared folder. After booting with sheepshaver it appeared at the "unix" folder. the "findit" app then appears to be "document" type in properties

I am using the OS9.img found from www.redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver-tutorial/, it appears to b a MacOS9.0 at about this computer.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

jackykwan wrote:Thanks for the reply, my USB did use FAT format before, but it's still the same after I format it as HFS+...
What do you mean? Did you format the drive to HFS+, plug it into your old Macintosh, and copy the same file again?

Also, you didn't answer the other question:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:- What is your host system? Which version?
On OSX the files should normally survive with Mac properties intact.
jackykwan
Space Cadet

Post by jackykwan »

ok first time I was using FAT fs copy and paste the files to sheepshaver, didn't work. so I format the USB drive as HFS+ and try again, didn't work either, same issue.

I am using 10.6.8 right now, sheepshaver version is 2.3, hosting a mac os9
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You do not write clearly what you did, but I suppose you now first formatted the USB stick HFS+ and after that again copied the files from the MacOS 9.2.2 machine to the now erased USB stick, and then copied them from the USB stick into the SheepShaver shared folder on the OSX 10.6.8 machine.

Our setup manual has explicit directions about not to use applications form the 'Unix' volume. They must be copied to the OS9 volume or to another added disk image volume, for instance an additional volume created in SheepShaver preferences: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... _unix_disk