OSX – Error Message – "Diskette is Write Protected"

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

guybrush
Space Cadet

OSX – Error Message – "Diskette is Write Protected"

Post by guybrush »

Hello all,

Emulation noob here. I'm running SheepShaver in Mac OS X 10.9.4, emulating Mac OX 9.0. I have the OS up and running, but I'm having trouble running a game (Escape from Monkey Island) from its disk image.

After adding CD1 and CD2 of the game in the Volumes panel in SS Preferences, both disks appear as CD-ROMs on the OS 9 desktop. The installer included in CD1 seems to work fine, as well. The problem comes when I try to choose a destination volume for the install.

My OS 9 ROM doesn't have enough space for even the most minimal install option. Trying to use either the Unix/shared drive or any blank disk images I create in Disk Utility and add into SS result in an error message reading: "Diskette is Write Protected." I've tried editing my blank images' privacy settings in OS X to no avail.

Is there a way to make sure disk images are writeable in SS? Alternatively, is there a way to run a game directly from the disk image without dealing with the installer?

Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: OSX – Error Message – "Diskette is Write Protected"

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You probably did not install OS9 yourself, but instead use a pre-installed OS9 system (System Folder only) such as can be downloaded from various sources like the redundant robot site. That installation is on a small volume, sufficient for the system only.

You can simply copy it to a larger volume, within SheepShaver:

- In the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences, create a larger volume, for instance 1 or 2 GB (1000 or 2000 MB) in size.
- Shut down SheepShaver and start it again.
- Allow the new volume to be initialized. In the dialog, choose an appropriate name for the volume and Mac OS Extended for the format.
- Copy the content of the OS9 volume to the larger volume
- When the copy is complete, check whether the System Folder on the new volume shows its System Folder icon. If it only shows a generic folder icon, open the folder so the Finder can "see" the "System" and "Finder" files inside. That way the folder will obtain its icon. (This is called "blessing" the System Folder.)
- In the volumes list in preferences, remove the original OS9 volume, so SheepShaver can start up from the copied system.
- Shut down SheepShaver and start it again.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
guybrush
Space Cadet

Re: OSX – Error Message – "Diskette is Write Protected"

Post by guybrush »

That worked perfectly, thanks!