Can't launch Sheepshaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Dobler
Space Cadet

Can't launch Sheepshaver

Post by Dobler »

Like at least another person who posted to this forum, I cannot launch Sheepshaver. As with the other gentleman, I carefully went through the setup procedure several times. I get the same screen (looking for a bootable start-up disk) but nothing else. I am running 10.8.5 on a MacBook Pro and am using the new world OS 8.6 Rom from Redundant Robot. I am using Sheepshaver 2.4. In the other post, it was recommended that copying and pasting the preferences would provide the information that would shed light on the problem to a trained eye, so, I have included that. Thank you in advance fro any advice you may have.

Rod Doble

disk MacOS86
disk Mac OS ROM
cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
extfs /Users/dobler/Desktop/Shared
screen win/1024/768
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala
serialb
rom Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 0
gfxaccel false
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
keycodes true
keycodefile keycodes
mousewheelmode 0
mousewheellines 1
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Can't launch Sheepshaver

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Dobler wrote:am using the new world OS 8.6 Rom from Redundant Robot.
What do you mean with "new world OS 8.6 Rom"? I suppose you use the new world ROM file from Redundant Robot and correctly renamed it Mac OS ROM. That ROM file is not a "OS 8.6" file, but it can be used with MacOS 8.5 through 9.0.4.
I am using Sheepshaver 2.4. In the other post
Better specify the build (date). The version number can be the same for several, even very different, builds.

Code: Select all

disk MacOS86
disk Mac OS ROM
I suppose MacOS86 is the new empty disk image that you created to install the MacOS onto.

Apparently you assumed that the ROM file is a system CD-ROM image file. It is not. ROM and CD-ROM are very different things. You have no start-up disk yet. You will either need an image created from a system install CD (see setup guid about how to create one from an actual CD) or an image with pre-installed system.

(Redundant Robot has a pre-installed MacOS 9 image. It is not a full system installation, though, and you will need to copy the content inside SheepShaver to a larger volume to be able to install additional software on that then larger start-up disk.)
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Dobler
Space Cadet

Post by Dobler »

Thank you. I will work on these issues and let you know how it works out. I appreciate your help.

R.D.
Dobler
Space Cadet

Post by Dobler »

I am running Version 2.4 20140201 (2.4)
I have obtained the OS9.img file and am unsure of how to proceed. You wrote:
Dobler wrote:It is not a full system installation, though, and you will need to copy the content inside SheepShaver to a larger volume to be able to install additional software on that then larger start-up disk.
While I enjoy the challenge, rather than muddling and experimenting through trial and error for hours on the above instructions, would you be willing to provide me with a little step-by-step? Thank you
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

It is really not much different from the procedure as described in the setup manual. Only you need to copy the System instead of installing it with an installer.

In OSX:
Move the OS9.img file into the SheepShaver folder.
If the MacOS86 file that you created is of sufficient size (at least 500MB), rename it MacOS9. (If it is not large enough, delete it.)

Launch SheepShaver and in SheepShaver preferences:
- Remove the two volumes (MacOS86 and Mac OS ROM) from the volumes list
- Then add the MacOS9 image to the list (or create a new MacOS9 volume of 500 or 1000MB in size)
- Finally add OS9.img to the list

Force-quit SheepShaver using control-escape

Launch SheepShaver. The emulated machine will startup from the OS9.img image.

During startup, the system will encounter the volume you created earlier and will offer to initialize it. Give the volume an appropriate name (for instance MacOS9HD) and choose Mac OS Extended for the format. Click to proceed with initializing the volume.

Finally, you will see the desktop with icons for the startup volume (the OS9 image), for the new volume that you will copy the system onto (MacOS9HD), and for the “Unix” volume that gives access to the shared folder on the Mac OS X side.

You cannot install the system as you would when you use an install CD image. Instead, you will need to copy the content of OS9 (it probably contains only a System Folder) to the larger MacOS9HD volume that you created. Open both volumes and simply drag the folder from one window to the other.

When copying is completed, the copied System Folder should show its specific icon. If it does not, open the folder and make the Finder "see" the Finder and System files inside. After closing the folder, it should now show its icon. (This procedure is called "blessing" the System Folder.)

In SheepShaver preferences you can now remove the OS9 volume.

Shut down the emulated machine. SheepShaver will quit.

When you will launch SheepShaver again, it will boot from the MacOS9 image (the MacOS9HD volume).
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Dobler
Space Cadet

Post by Dobler »

Thank you for the amazingly prompt and thorough responses. I have to get outside to work around the yard now (CT, USA 11:30A) but I will be anxiously looking forward to getting back to try this.

In great appreciation, Rod Doble