trying to play cd rom game with sheepshaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

robmeads
Student Driver

trying to play cd rom game with sheepshaver

Post by robmeads »

When i open the os 9 system i get a message that says "this disc is unreadable by this computer. do you want to initialize the disk?" im new to using programs like this and is wondering if this is even possible. Macbook pro os x 10.9.5
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: trying to play cd rom game with sheepshaver

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

OSX 10.8 and later prevents mounting of physical CD-ROMs in SheepShaver.

Instead, you will need to use an image created from the CD. The workaround is described in our setup manual under "Known issues": http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... own_issues
robmeads
Student Driver

Post by robmeads »

When i save the disk as an image and add it to the volumes list then restart the cd does not appear on the desktop
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

What CD are we discussing?

Best,
Cat_7
robmeads
Student Driver

Post by robmeads »

The image of the CD-ROM i created in os x. The instructions say to add the image to the volumes list and restart sheepshaver and the cd will be on the desktop. this is not the case
mod50ack
Space Cadet

Post by mod50ack »

Make sure it's an ISO. Here's how to make one.

Open Disk Utility on OS X. Choose the disk in the sidebar, and click to make a new image. Choose DVD/CD master (.cdr) and let it work. Then rename it to a .iso.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

What CD are we discussing?
For some CDs this will not work. It depends on what kind of CD it is. Is it for Mac only? Does it contain more than 1 partition? That's why I asked which CD exactly we are talking about.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

mod50ack wrote:Make sure it's an ISO. Here's how to make one
An .iso image will work, but so do images created by Disk Utility in "read/write" (.dmg) or "DVD/CD Master" (.cdr) format. Make sure to choose one of these two formats in Disk Utility. Other formats, like "read only" or "compressed", will not work.

As Cat_7 pointed out, also the format of the actual CD is important. Only regular Mac CD-ROMS will always work.
robmeads
Student Driver

Post by robmeads »

The cd is just for mac only i saved as .iso and .dmg it still is not showing up in os 9. after i save these files as volumes they disappear after i restart sheepshaver. after i save as volumes an error message pops up that says "disk unix is unavailable because it cannot be found."
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

1. After you make changes in SheepShaver preferences, like adding image files to the volumes list, click Save at the bottom of the "Virtual Machine Settings" window and then do not just restart the emulated machine in SheepShaver, but shut it down, thus quitting SheepShaver, and then launch SheepShaver again.

2. Are you sure you chose in Disk Utility either "read/write" or "DVD/CD Master" for the format while creating an image from the CD?
robmeads
Student Driver

Post by robmeads »

yes i do this and it still does not work. and yes i chose cd/dvd when i made the image.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Did you download your SheepShaver program from this site?
How many disk do you currently have attached to SheepShaver?
Can you start the terminal program and type: open .sheepshaver_prefs

Please paste the contents of that file in your answer.

Best,
Cat_7
robmeads
Student Driver

Post by robmeads »

i am pretty sure i downloaded it from this site. i don't think i have any disks attached.

disk /Users/terry/Desktop/COIV4.0.1+/Classic.app/COI.app/.Classic.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/400Meg.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/800Meg.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/1200Meg.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/MyOldHD.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/COIHD.dmg
disk /Users/terry/Desktop/Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2.dmg
cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
extfs /Users/Shared/
screen win/1024/768
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala
serialb
rom COI.app/.old.rom
bootdrive 0
bootdriver -62
ramsize 268435456
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui true
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv false
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
keycodes true
keycodefile COI.app/.BasiliskII_keycodes
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv false
idlewait false
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

1. You are not running a regular SheepShaver but a COI (Classic On Intel) "Chubby Bunny" setup, version 4.0.1 apparently.

2. I wonder how you managed to get "/Users/terry/Desktop/Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2.dmg" in the volumes list. The SheepShaver build that is originally built into COI 4.0.1 does not have a built-in preferences editor. Did you use a stand-alone Prefs editor?

3. Changes in the settings will not stick, because when COI is launched, any changes made to the settings will be overwritten by the settings that are hard-coded in COI.

4. A possible workaround would be to rename the disk image you created to one of the additional disk names that can be used in COI (Shared/400Meg.dmg, 800Meg.dmg, or 1200Meg.dmg) and put the renamed image file inside the /Users/Shared/ folder.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
robmeads
Student Driver

Post by robmeads »

is there another program i should download that would run this with ease? i am new to this
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I am not sure I understand your question. You use COI. Its possibilities are limited compared with a regular SheepShaver setup but it is easy to use because it is pre-configured and ready to be used as it is. A regular SheepShaver needs to be set up and configured before it can be used, but it is much more flexible because you can change its settings according to your needs, which cannot be done in COI. See our setup manual: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup

Have you tried my suggestion of renaming the CD image file and moving it into the /Users/Shared folder? When you then launch COI, the CD should appear mounted on the MacOS9 desktop.
robmeads
Student Driver

Post by robmeads »

i cannot find that folder in either os
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The /Users/Shared/ folder is in the OSX host system. At root level of your harddisk you will find the Users folder and inside that folder is the Shared folder. The names may be different if your system is set to a different language than English.
robmeads
Student Driver

Post by robmeads »

found the image in os 9 in disk unix it says "this document could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found... could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Yes, you can see it inside the Unix volume because the Unix volume shows the content of the /Users/Shared/ folder that in COI is assigned as the shared folder for SheepShaver. But you cannot open it there.

If the image is created correctly from a true Mac CD-ROM, it should appear on the OS9 desktop as CD volume. If it does not, something is wrong with the image file. Are you sure the original CD is indeed a Mac CD-ROM? And did you make sure the file is named exactly "400Meg.dmg" or "800Meg.dmg" or "1200Meg.dmg"?
robmeads
Student Driver

Post by robmeads »

it does show up on the desktop but it still gives me the error message i will try to create another disk image and follow the steps again
robmeads
Student Driver

Post by robmeads »

this worked and it now shows up as the game on the desktop in os9 i installed it but when i try to open the game it says the application could not be opened because the "OpenGLLibrary" could not be found
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Apparently the game uses OpenGL. Hardware that is needed for OpenGL is not emulated by SheepShaver. As far as I can tell, that means that this game cannot be played in SheepShaver emulation. You came a long way but this one is not going to work, sorry.
robmeads
Student Driver

Post by robmeads »

Damn. Thank you for all your help i learned alot