Sheepshaver Windows 8

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ceruleanjen
Space Cadet

Sheepshaver Windows 8

Post by ceruleanjen »

Hi guys. Hoping you can help me. I hope it's okay that I made a new topic.

I am a total noob at this stuff, but I followed the directions and got the Sheepshaver GUI to run. However, when I click "Start", I get an error message about the system not being able to find the system32 driver even though it has been moved to the right folder. After that, it says it cannot locate the ROM.

I'm using Windows 8 so I am assuming it is 64 bit? Does this mean there is no way to run Sheepshaver? If so, what else can I use or is there any other way to get it to work? Or have I just messed something up?

I was overjoyed to find all the nostalgic games from my past on here, but am very sad that I can't get it to work. I'd like to be able to do this on my current computer--the Windows--though I do have an older Macbook Pro from 2004 that works but needs a new power cord (won't hold a charge unless I hold it the entire time). Would it be easier to go with the old Mac? I could invest in a new power cord in that case....

Anyway, thank you in advance. And sorry if this has been answered before :???:
ClockWise
Site Admin

Re: Sheepshaver Windows 8

Post by ClockWise »

What ROM are you using? Where did you get it? I trust that you selected in properly in the SheepShaver GUI?
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

ceruleanjen wrote:However, when I click "Start", I get an error message about the system not being able to find the system32 driver even though it has been moved to the right folder.
Sheepshaver uses a 32-bit driver for CD-ROM access that will not work under 64-bit systems, but that alone will not stop Sheepshaver from running. (You can also easily circumvent this limitation by making a BIN/CUE image of your CD-ROMs and mounting the image.)

Have you followed the guide?
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup
I'm using Windows 8 so I am assuming it is 64 bit?
Windows 8 is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The System control panel will tell you which one you are running.
though I do have an older Macbook Pro from 2004 that works but needs a new power cord (won't hold a charge unless I hold it the entire time). Would it be easier to go with the old Mac?
Didn't the Macbook Pro date back from 2006? Anyway, if it's an Intel mac, you'd still need to use Sheepshaver there.
ceruleanjen
Space Cadet

Post by ceruleanjen »

ClockWise wrote:What ROM are you using? Where did you get it? I trust that you selected in properly in the SheepShaver GUI?
The New World ROM. Pretty sure I downloaded it from a link in the forum. I also tried the Old World ROM, but that didn't work either. I followed the guide exactly.
ceruleanjen
Space Cadet

Post by ceruleanjen »

Jorpho wrote:
ceruleanjen wrote:However, when I click "Start", I get an error message about the system not being able to find the system32 driver even though it has been moved to the right folder.
Sheepshaver uses a 32-bit driver for CD-ROM access that will not work under 64-bit systems, but that alone will not stop Sheepshaver from running. (You can also easily circumvent this limitation by making a BIN/CUE image of your CD-ROMs and mounting the image.)

Have you followed the guide?
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup
I'm using Windows 8 so I am assuming it is 64 bit?
Windows 8 is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The System control panel will tell you which one you are running.
though I do have an older Macbook Pro from 2004 that works but needs a new power cord (won't hold a charge unless I hold it the entire time). Would it be easier to go with the old Mac?
Didn't the Macbook Pro date back from 2006? Anyway, if it's an Intel mac, you'd still need to use Sheepshaver there.
Yes, I followed the guide. Everything seemed to be going fine until I tried to get to the Booting step.

It's 64 bit.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Please post the content of your SheepShaver_prefs file, so we can see the actual settings.

Best,
Cat_7
ceruleanjen
Space Cadet

Post by ceruleanjen »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

Please post the content of your SheepShaver_prefs file, so we can see the actual settings.

Best,
Cat_7
disk C:\Users\Jennifer\Desktop\SheepShaver\MacOS
disk C:\Users\Jennifer\Desktop\SheepShaver\newworld86.rom
extfs
screen win/1024/768
windowmodes 3
screenmodes 63
seriala COM1
serialb COM2
rom C:\Users\Jennifer\Desktop\SheepShaver\MacOS
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 8
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv false
ignoreillegal true
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
ignoresegv false
idlewait true
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
enableextfs true
debugextfs false
extdrives CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
pollmedia false
etherpermanentaddress true
ethermulticastmode 0
routerenabled false
ftp_port_list 21
portfile0 C:\B2TEMP0.OUT
portfile1 C:\B2TEMP1.OUT
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

There is a simple fix for your SheepShaver problem. This is what happened:
You added the rom file as a disk in SheepShaverGUI, and a disk as a rom file. See these entries in your current prefs:

disk C:\Users\Jennifer\Desktop\SheepShaver\newworld86.rom
rom C:\Users\Jennifer\Desktop\SheepShaver\MacOS

You can use the SheepShaverGUI to remove the rom file from the Volumes list and add the disk called MacOS to the Volumes list. Next, go to Memory/misc tab and at Rom file browse to the newworld86.rom file to add it as the rom to use. Click Start to save the prefs.

Or manually edit the prefs file so these lines read (just change disk into rom, and rom into disk):

disk C:\Users\Jennifer\Desktop\SheepShaver\MacOS
rom C:\Users\Jennifer\Desktop\SheepShaver\newworld86.rom

And you will be able to start SheepShaver.exe

Since you downloaded the rom, but more importantly, the MacOS disk image from the redundant robot site, it is good to know that this disk image is rather small and doesn't contain a full installation of Mac OS 9. It is OK to test SheepShaver, but if you want maximum compatibility, you should install a fresh and complete Mac OS.

Best,
Cat_7