Disk Image of CD won't mount in OS9

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

rpatters1
Tinkerer

Disk Image of CD won't mount in OS9

Post by rpatters1 »

I am trying to install Finale 2000, which wants me to prove I have the install CD. So I followed the advice I found here and made a disc image with Disk Utility in OSX. (I chose the read-only option, but I also tried compressed. Other options available are read-write and CD/DVR Master. I have not tried them.)

After making the .dmg in OSX I added it as a volume in my Sheepshaver preferences. Now when I boot OS9 it pops up with a message "This disk is unreadable by this Computer. Do you want to initialize the disk?" I choose Cancel and it then proceeds without mounting the image.

I have also tried mounting the image in OSX (which works fine) and adding the mounted volume to Sheepshaver prefs. That has the same effect.

Finally I tried directly double-clicking the .dmg from within OS9, but that fails with a similar error message.

My setup:
Power Mac (trash can 2013) running OSX 10.9.5
Sheepshaver 2.4 (Feb 1, 2014 build)
Virtual OS: Mac OS 9.0.4
ROM file: Mac OS ROM 1.6
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Disk Image of CD won't mount in OS9

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

If OSX is 10.8 or later, you will indeed need to use a disk image. Both read-only and compressed formats cannot be read by SheepShaver. You wil need to use either CD/DVD Master (recommended) or read-write format. Best lock the image file in the OSX Finder. See the instructions in our SheepShaver for OSX setup guide in the 'Known issues' section: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... own_issues
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
rpatters1
Tinkerer

Re: Disk Image of CD won't mount in OS9

Post by rpatters1 »

Thank you. That solved my problem.