Sheepshaver GUI refuses to run even after installing GTK

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Spoons
Student Driver

Sheepshaver GUI refuses to run even after installing GTK

Post by Spoons »

I am running Windows XP on a Gateway 842GM from 2007.

I have downloaded and installed GTK runtime, but the Gui still tells me the required library (.dll) files are missing.

I don't understand what the problem is...
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Re: Sheepshaver GUI refuses to run even after installing GTK

Post by Jorpho »

Silly question, but did you restart your computer after installing GTK? I seem to recall it relies on environment variables and I'm not sure they will stick without a restart. (You might also need to edit your PATH statement manually; it's been a while.)
Spoons
Student Driver

Post by Spoons »

Yeah, I restarted it.

How do I edit the PATH file? Do you mean edit the registry? Should I run regedit?

Update: This is the specific error message I get.

So what am I supposed to do here?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Your computer doesn't find the GTK files when you start the GUI. Please uninstall GTK, restart your computer and install again. If it is not working, you can edit the environment variables to add the required locations.
If you installed GTK in its defaut location of C:\GTK, the following should correct your problem.

Right clilck My Computer, select properties, advanced, environment variables and check for

GTK_BASEPATH C:\GTK

INCLUDE C:\GTK\INCLUDE;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\GTK-2.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\GLIB-2.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\PANGO-1.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\CAIRO;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\ATK-1.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\GTKGLEXT-1.0;C:\GTK\LIB\GTK-2.0\INCLUDE;C:\GTK\LIB\GLIB-2.0\INCLUDE;C:\GTK\LIB\GTKGLEXT-1.0\INCLUDE;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\LIBGLADE-2.0;C:\GTK\INCLUDE\LIBXML2;

LIB C:\GTK\LIB;

Next, add %GTK_BASEPATH%\bin; to you PATH variable.

Restart your computer.

Best,
Cat_7
Spoons
Student Driver

Post by Spoons »

Cat_7 wrote:Your computer doesn't find the GTK files when you start the GUI. Please uninstall GTK, restart your computer and install again. If it is not working, you can edit the environment variables to add the required locations.
If you installed GTK in its defaut location of C:\GTK, the following should correct your problem.
The Installation Wizard does not give me the option of changing the install location. How do I do this?

Your explanation is far far too advanced for me. I can get to the Environment Variables menu but I don't know what to do with the mounds of text you've given me. I understand you are a big cat around here but please explain a little further.

Edit: Can someone please explain to me how to get Sheepshaver to recognize that I have GTK runtime installed?
Spoons
Student Driver

Post by Spoons »

I have followed your instructions to the best of my ability Cat_7 but I am still getting the same error message.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Just worth asking here if you used the older version of GTK recommended in our guide:

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup
Spoons
Student Driver

Post by Spoons »

Yup, that's what I used, version 2.10 right?
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Perhaps we should double-check that your environment variables are now set correctly.

Go to Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt and type

Code: Select all

set|find "gtk" > temp.txt
start temp.txt
(That character after "set" is typed by pressing Shift and Backslash on your keyboard.)

This should open up a Notepad window which will hopefully contain some text. Copy and paste it into a post here.
Spoons
Student Driver

Post by Spoons »

I followed your instructions and a notepad window did indeed pop up.

But it was fully blank.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

GTK is not installed correctly. Reinstall it from the link provided in the setup guide.
Spoons
Student Driver

Post by Spoons »

emendelson wrote:GTK is not installed correctly. Reinstall it from the link provided in the setup guide.
I have done exactly as you said and it changed nothing.

Is there another way to configure SheepShaver? command line?

I found the libgmodule thing that is giving me the error, and when I right click it, it gives me the option to register it in the context menu. But when I try to do so, it tells me:

"The DllServerRegister entry point was not found. This file cannot be registered."

So if I edit my registry manually, can I register it? Is it advisable to do so? Can someone give me some very exact step-by-step instructions on how or why I would need to?
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Did you install GTK as a user with Administrator privileges? Since it's XP, you might have to hold down Shift, right-click the installer, and select "Run As...".

If you did that, then have you also tried running the Sheepshaver prefs as a user with Administrator privileges?
Spoons wrote:Is there another way to configure SheepShaver? command line?
Probably the easiest way would be to edit the prefs file manually, with Notepad.
I found the libgmodule thing that is giving me the error
What error? The box you posted previously made no reference to libgmodule.
and when I right click it, it gives me the option to register it in the context menu.
That might be a good idea in some other cases, but the gtk libraries only require your environment variables to be set correctly.
Spoons
Student Driver

Post by Spoons »

Jorpho wrote:Did you install GTK as a user with Administrator privileges? Since it's XP, you might have to hold down Shift, right-click the installer, and select "Run As...".
So you're telling me to run the GTK runtime installer as an administrator?
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

If that's not what you did, then yes, that is probably at least worth a try.
Spoons
Student Driver

Post by Spoons »

Still coming up dry. Same old error message that I originally posted in the image link.

I've run Sheepshaver before on this computer, I just don't understand what the problem could be.
Spoons
Student Driver

Post by Spoons »

Jorpho wrote:
Spoons wrote:Is there another way to configure SheepShaver? command line?
Probably the easiest way would be to edit the prefs file manually, with Notepad.
Where is it?

What do I need to know to do that?
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Well, we can still go back to editing the environment variables manually, though it's strange that it should be necessary. Perhaps you have some kind of third-party security software on your computer that might interfere with a program's installation?

What did you do once you got to the Environment Variables dialog (as per http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm )? Did you create a new variable named GTK_BASEPATH and give it a value of C:\GTK , and so on? Did you add C:\GTK\BIN to the end of the value of the variable named PATH? (You do at least have a folder named C:\GTK, right?)

The Sheepshaver prefs file is named SheepShaver_prefs , and it should be in your Sheepshaver folder. The options are mostly self-explanatory.
Spoons
Student Driver

Post by Spoons »

Should be, but is not.

I searched the entire computer, there is no file named sheepshaver_prefs in the installation from August 2010 or the June 5 release.

I shut off all my security software and installed GTK again, and it's still spitting this same error message at me.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Huh. Okay then, lots of people have had to upload their sheepshaver_prefs here before. You can use the one from http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 647#p49647 : just copy the text and paste it into a new Notepad document. The most important lines are the ones that start with "disk" (which should name whatever hard drive images you are using) and "rom" (which should be the path to your Mac OS ROM). Edit those, and save the file as "sheepshaver_prefs" (be careful not to name it sheepshaver_prefs.txt) in the same folder as sheepshaver.exe.
Jorpho wrote:What did you do once you got to the Environment Variables dialog (as per http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm )? Did you create a new variable named GTK_BASEPATH and give it a value of C:\GTK , and so on? Did you add C:\GTK\BIN to the end of the value of the variable named PATH?
These answers might still be helpful, if you want to investigate.

EDIT: Futher investigation suggests that it might indeed be critical to manually edit the PATH variable and that the others may not be necessary. (It's odd that this hasn't come up before.)
http://www.gtk.org/download/win32_tutorial.php

I had a look at the installer just now (under Windows 7) and it looks like if you used the default installation location, then you'll actually need to add C:\Program Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0\bin to the end of the PATH variable.