AdobePS crash ~30-50% of the time

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

rpatters1
Tinkerer

AdobePS crash ~30-50% of the time

Post by rpatters1 »

I am using AdobePS to print to Postscript listing files with custom page sizes. (I have not been able to find a LaserWriter 8 PPD that allows custom page sizes.) The issue is, AdobePS crashes SS 30-50% of the time. What I mean is, whenever I open Page Layout or Print... dialogs, there's 30-50% chance it will crash SS.

At the moment I am mostly printing from Finale 97, but I'm pretty sure I've seen the problem in other apps.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so is there anything I can do about?

My setup:
Power Mac (trash can 2013) running OSX 10.9.5
Sheepshaver 2.4 (Feb 1, 2014 build)
Virtual OS: Mac OS 9.0.4
ROM file: Mac OS ROM 1.6
rpatters1
Tinkerer

Re: AdobePS crash ~30-50% of the time

Post by rpatters1 »

Update: I upped the memory allocation on the AdobePS Virtual Printer app from 350K to 1024K, and that seems to have helped. That is, the crash percentage seems to have gone down significantly.

EDIT: This does not seem to have helped much after all. After a spell of working better I'm right back to the 30-50% range. Probably random fluctuation.
Last edited by rpatters1 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Does AdobePS crash, or the Mac OS system, or SheepShaver? If the latter is the case, also make sure "Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses" is checked in SheepShaver preferences, Miscellaneous tab.
rpatters1
Tinkerer

Post by rpatters1 »

It is difficult to tell which is crashing. What usually happens is that when I go to open one of the print dialogs, I immediately get thrown back into OSX and the SS window disappears. OSX presents a "Sheepshaver terminated Ignore/Report" dialog. Occasionally SS just hangs and I have to ctrl-esc.

The Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses option is checked.
rpatters1
Tinkerer

Post by rpatters1 »

P.S. And very occasionally, it will let me get as far as specifying where the ps file before it crashes.

(If it matters, I am saving the ps file to a location on the Unix drive, but many times these crashes happen long before I can get to specifying a location. My source docs are also on the Unix drive, but the app—per recommendation here—is on a MacOS9 virtual drive.)
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

Does the required paper size change every time you print into a PS file or is it just one or a few custom paper sizes you repeatedly use? 'Cause in the second case I could see if I can add the required sizes to a PPD for you so you can use LaserWriter 8.
rpatters1
Tinkerer

Post by rpatters1 »

I mainly need 10x13 and 9x12 (inches).

(EDIT) In AdobePS I set them up with 0 margins, because in Finale I always handle the margins myself. Not sure if it matters.
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

I have used the PPD for Acrobat Distiller 5 as there is not really any printer specific information in there and it was the last version for Classic MacOS. The PPD and printer name is changed to "Acrobat Distiller Cust".
I have sent you a PM with the download link.

Once you have installed and chosen the PPD you should find paper sizes called "9 x 12 inch" and "10 x 13 inch" among the standard sizes.

The "margins" set in the PPD are hardware related (a non-printable area along the paper edges). The margins in Finale should be lay-out related.
In the PPD I have set them to 0.

Hope this will work for you.